Sailor Moon Review: New English Dub Is a Beautiful Transformation

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Sailor Moon Review: New English Dub Is a Beautiful Transformation

Usagi Tsukino returns, as peppy and put-upon as ever, in VIZ Media's new English dub of the original Sailor Moon anime.

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Michelle Ruff's acting is good, but I kinda feel like she's all wrong for the role of Luna. I watched these four dub episodes myself, and she seemed entirely un-catlike. I'm not one of those "sub-only" purists, but I do strongly feel as though a good dub should take cues from the original Japanese audio when appropriate. In this case, both Luna and Usagi were absolutely perfect in Japanese, so the closer the dub voice can get to mimicking what makes them work so well, the better. Stephanie Sheh did a good job with this in episodes 2-4 (I assume she was still becoming accustomed to the character in ep1), but Michelle Ruff is just so overwhelmingly wrong for Luna IMO. I also feel like Mamoru should be a bit deeper, but he's still a close enough fit.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. In spite of my apparent negativity, the acting is all around very good even when characters are miscast, and most of the cast do fit their characters very well. If nothing else, it's certainly miles better than the old '90s dub.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Michelle Ruff is my favorite voice actress of all time, but I do feel that she's all wrong for the part. They could cast her a anyon else and it would work.

Of course, I've never seen Sailor Moon, so what do I know?

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
As one of those infamous sub-only purists, I will of course only be watching it subbed. That being said, assuming that preview is a gauge of the quality of this new dub, I'm glad to see some sincere effort being put into this redubbing.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
They didn't keep the English theme. They didn't even sub the Japanese theme. I was hoping they'd rerecord the English theme. Ah well, maybe on the DVDs.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
So now I can watch the classic series with a new English dub while at the same time I watch the new series with an English sub... I thought I was going to have to watch my old VHS rips of the original series while I compared it to the new.

JCAll said:
They didn't keep the English theme. They didn't even sub the Japanese theme. I was hoping they'd rerecord the English theme. Ah well, maybe on the DVDs.
You mean this one.
I've actually been playing this opening while watching the new series. I always loved how they rhyme depend with depend.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
newwiseman said:
So now I can watch the classic series with a new English dub while at the same time I watch the new series with an English sub... I thought I was going to have to watch my old VHS rips of the original series while I compared it to the new.

JCAll said:
You mean this one.
I've actually been playing this opening while watching the new series. I always loved how they rhyme depend with depend.
I think you got the words wrong
it's friend with defend & depend
which is still not terbly hard, and sad thing is it's a better rhyme then most modern pop singers and rappers.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm super excited about this. I own the entire original series with the original English cast on DVD, but I'm looking forward to seeing the English version of certain events uncut. And of course, Sailor Stars. I've seen that in Japanese, but I can't wait to see the English version too.

That's Hinata?! That sounds nothing like Hinata! Wow...okay, when I heard that Stephanie Sheh was doing Usagi, I was a little baffled. I thought she would be much better suited to Ami. And then when I heard that Kate Higgens was doing Ami, I was even more confused. However, I do agree completely that Sheh nails it. Now I'll just hope that Higgens can switch from loud powerhouse Sakura to quiet and reserved Ami.

On a side note, is anyone else perhaps a little disappointed in Crystal? I think it's moving too fast. Yes, it's following the manga closely, but by doing that, it's sacrificing the development of the characters. This review said that the other Scouts (yes, I will always call them that) don't show up for several episodes, but doing so gives us a chance to get to know Usagi. This new series isn't giving us that chance I think.
Or am I the only one who feels that way?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
THIS is fantastic!

Already saving up for the bluray.
MIGHT get the DVD, depending on price/if-they-screw-things-up.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I haven't seen the US Dub series since it first aired on Toonami, but...violence? The most straightforward piece of violence I remember is Jupiter throwing a few punches. If there's a bit more action that was originally cut I'd be curious to see.

Also, I love living in a world where Johnny Young Bosch is a major voice actor just so I can keep saying "OMG, the Black Ranger is playing --!"

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
vid87 said:
I haven't seen the US Dub series since it first aired on Toonami, but...violence? The most straightforward piece of violence I remember is Jupiter throwing a few punches. If there's a bit more action that was originally cut I'd be curious to see.

Also, I love living in a world where Johnny Young Bosch is a major voice actor just so I can keep saying "OMG, the Black Ranger is playing --!"
From the reading I have done, the main violence they cut was things like children getting hurt. In the first episode, Usagi's friend Naru is choked by the monster Morga. Morga imitates Naru's mother, and when Naru realizes something is wrong, Morga attacks her. I haven't confirmed it by re-watching the first episode of the 90s English dub, but it's those kind of scenes that would get cut, leaving most of the violence implied.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
They should have kept the name of sailor moon as Serena, instead of Usagi.. it doesn't even sound like girl's name.. also, The voices don't fit the characters... Stephanie Sheh is only good as whiny female characters like Orihme and Hinata.. as for Michelle Ruff, she's a decent voice actress, but her voice isn't; right for the cat, luna.. in fact, none of the actor/actresses seem to fit the characters in the new dub of the anime.. by the way, whats with snagging so many of the Bleach voices actors? Johnny Yong Bosh,Michelle Ruff, Stephanie Sheh,Cristina Valenzuela( voiced Riruka), and Wendee Lee..

Aristatide

Jul 19, 2014
crazygameguy4ever said:
They should have kept the name of sailor moon as Serena, instead of Usagi.. it doesn't even sound like girl's name..
...it does in Japan, believe me. It literally translates to Bunny. If you want it to be an English name, it at least ought to be that, like the manga did, not Serena.

Aristatide

Jul 19, 2014
So once upon a time I would have been unbelievably thrilled about this. I was so into Sailor Moon as an older teenager that I wound up reading all the detailed summaries of Sailor Moon S (the arc with Saturn) that were put up on Castle in the Sky when the official dubs ended with R (the Neo Crystal Tokyo arc). I remember the excitement of finding the series would continue in English and the disappointment and anger over how badly they managed to screw everything up. So I ought to be stoked for this, right?

Alas for moving goalposts. Since then I've read the manga and seen the Live-Action and the original anime has actually become my least favorite version of the story. (With Crystal, it's too soon to tell.) NOW what I'm dying for is an official English subtitle release of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. Despite the terribly cheesy costumes and effects, the story blew me away. I'd even buy extra sets to give to friends. Let me give you my money, Japan! Please!

(While we're on that topic, where are my Iron Chef DVDs? American version does not satisfy!)

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I won't lie, I never really watched sailor moon (I think I've seen three episodes spread over a long period of time), so I thought I'll see if the change in voices does anything for me. It doesn't, at all. That's because I'm definitely not a fan of the overall delivery/themes/aesthetics. So definitely still a massive pass for me.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I haven't seen the original dub of Sailor Moon in over a decade, but considering all the talent they got for this version... maybe I'll give it a shot.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Aristatide said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
They should have kept the name of sailor moon as Serena, instead of Usagi.. it doesn't even sound like girl's name..
...it does in Japan, believe me. It literally translates to Bunny. If you want it to be an English name, it at least ought to be that, like the manga did, not Serena.
In America, the word conjures up the image of Usagi Yojimbo.