Saint's Row 4 Developer Feels Juvenile Tone Is Element Of Success

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Clankenbeard said:
Leviano said:
Bindal said:
Leviano said:
Its the same tone that means I wont be buying the 4th.
For me, that actually IS a reason to buy it.
Each to there own I suppose. No accounting for taste.
Bindal's taste is different from yours--he has accounted for it and I agree with his bottom line.
My accountants are similarly prepared to see SR4 wackiness revenues with a projected net future value of "fundiculous".
It would seem that this mentality is the one weighing in more heavily with Volition.

Grammar Infraction: "their" (Yeah, I took the low road.)
You win, defeated by my own dyslexia :)

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
chuckey said:
I feel as though the developers said, "screw the plot, let's just add as much crap as we can for no reason."
Yeah, this pretty much killed ANY curiousity I had about SR4.

Somebloke said:
At what point does one's: "not taking oneself too seriously", become a matter of: "taking one's: 'not taking oneself too seriously', too seriously"?
That's... an interesting way of looking at it. You might be on to something there.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I'll still buy it.

But deep down inside I'll still be sad that they abandoned the attitude they had in SR 2.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
What Saints Row 2 had was humor. It was fun and balanced between it's dedication to a story you could invest in and events that could make the player laugh and were enjoyable to play.
What Saints Row 3 had was not humor, it was a 13-year-old's twisted and under-developed sense of humor. Does that mean you're wrong for liking Saints Row 3? No, feel free, be my guest. I just wish it could have been a separate IP all of its own and I could have continued to enjoy what I got out of Saints Row 2, but once again another of my favourite franchises has been hijacked for the sake of something it was never supposed to be and I get to look on in despair.

I'm not buying Saints Row 4, neither will I be buying another Volition product.

On a side note; since when did juvenile become a word that was anything other than a derogative term?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
This is why I love it, it's like an untamed human id made a game. Sometimes that's a great thing to have.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
If they bring back the extensive customization and side-mission context from the second game, then I'll consider it. Otherwise, not interested.

Off-topic: Wherever I can "find your soul paint" can kiss my ass.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I completely loved how over the top SR3 was. It went where others do not, where the previous SR games, while certainly good, mostly come off as a better written GTA. SR4 is honestly sounding pretty awesome, and I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on it. Unlike a lot of gamers though, I appreciate evolution. I don't want a reskinned SR1 or SR2. I want a new game that has what the previous games had and more, which is what SR is not failing to do.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
You are actually completely wrong my good sir.

What made SR2 so awesome was that the story actually did take itself serious. There were slow moments and actual discussions. Sure they weren't great works of Plato but they took their time to set up bad guys, have them laugh at you, fuck you over and then they gave you a gun and said take them down HOWEVER you like.

That is where the fun came from the fact that you were still grounded but at the same time were allowed to go bat shit insane.

SR3 was nothing but a long, drawn out fart. Something a 13 year old would giggle at and then say "huhuhu he farted" out loud. It didn't have any pacing at all and just did not know when to calm down and give the player some much needed rest so his next adventure would seem crazy again.

It went crazy on the first minute and stayed crazy never giving you a proper grounded level from which you could then introduce your own madness. The game was already insane.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I liked Saints Row the Third, but the crazy out the ass tone of the game got old after a while especially if you were playing by yourself.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Exciting: Saints Row 4 will be like Saints Row 3!

In similarly Earth-shaking news, Honda executives announce that due to overwhelming fan response their 2014 Civics will continue to feature lockable doors and four wheels with replaceable tires.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Oww, this sucks! I miss taking on 3 gangs with unique themes. Superhero and aliens, as much as I love superheroes and sci-fi, they are not what I look for when I play a Saints row game.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
1337mokro said:
You are actually completely wrong my good sir.

What made SR2 so awesome was that the story actually did take itself serious. There were slow moments and actual discussions. Sure they weren't great works of Plato but they took their time to set up bad guys, have them laugh at you, fuck you over and then they gave you a gun and said take them down HOWEVER you like.

That is where the fun came from the fact that you were still grounded but at the same time were allowed to go bat shit insane.

SR3 was nothing but a long, drawn out fart. Something a 13 year old would giggle at and then say "huhuhu he farted" out loud. It didn't have any pacing at all and just did not know when to calm down and give the player some much needed rest so his next adventure would seem crazy again.

It went crazy on the first minute and stayed crazy never giving you a proper grounded level from which you could then introduce your own madness. The game was already insane.
Ninja'd saint's row 3 was wacky but after the fifth mission involving jumping out a helicopter and shooting things on the way down it loses all apeal saints row two was better in every way

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well yes. You try to be serious and you have GTA to contend with. Pretty much any time you're the same as a more established game you're not in a good position, Saints Row apparently knows enough to differentiate itself.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Well at least it's tone will be consistent, because at a talk at last years GDC they recalled on how they felt that SR2's was... not. They even referenced Yahttzee's review on SR3, and they wanted to stick to their guns, which is respectable in a way. A way that people aren't going to like, but I suspect GTA5 to be ass loads of serious.

Frankly I'd be estatic if they managed to get Daniel Dae Kim back in to do Johnny Gat (yes I know what happened in SR3, I'm sure if they can have Zombies they can come up for a reason for his absence (Stranded on a desert island perhaps)). But not putting any faith that will happen.

captcha: Little did he know

REALLY CAPTCHA!

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Wacky was the only reason I got 3.. if I wanted the same old gangland city sandbox games i would pick any number of the gta titles.. Same reason is why I will pick up SR4 on release and leave GTA V till its at a bargain bin price.

Apr 5, 2008
I'm not sure if that's strictly true. It's not a juvenile tone that made SR3 great, it was the fact it was simply fun without bullshit getting in the way of it. Sleeping Dogs was terribly let down by an awful game getting in the way of great gameplay. SR3 didn't have that issue. Jetbikes, the crazy rabbit professor, the carnage, leaping from buildings were all great. Add to that storing, tweaking and customising cars, levelling up weapons, clothing...great stuff. The superspeed in that DLC was fantastic too.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
Ehh, i dont agree....
I think most of the fun came from being silly - in a "serious" context.
Thats why i liked SR2 the most, it had a lot of humor, but it also had drama. The world seemed.... ugh, i hate to use that word, but for the lack of better - more "believable", than SR3. SR3 was so disconnected from realism, it was just a bit too much imho.
Then again, its a sandbox game. 80% of the fun comes from "endgame", like plowing with a tank through the streets, only this time, the tank has lasers. (btw. i think giving lasers to enemies was a bad move, because it made the matter even worse)

Im prob gonna get it anyway, i deal with a lot of juvenile bs in my everyday life, so seeing it on my PC screen doesnt affect me as much as it does others i think.....

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
SR2 was a great game SR3 just felt so empty to me I dont think Ill be buying SR4 if its going to be like SR3.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
The problem is, they're taking element out of what makes the game a "game" and not a "juvenile simulator." Saints Row 2 let you be as wacky as you wanted, but still had compelling story, characters you were rooting for, and an EXTENSIVE collection of minigames and customization.

Did anyone else that played SR3 actually count the kinds of minigames they had? They didn't add anything. They merely replaced some minigames with others. And customization; why couldn't I decide what undershirt to wear? Oh, it doesn't matter, because I can choose to be a FURRY.

I preordered the platinum edition of SR3 the day they announced it. Hell, I even preordered Red Faction Armageddon just to get that character customization thing that came with it.

I wasted so much money on the pile of shit Volition is turning the series into.