Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Review - Back Into Hell

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Review - Back Into Hell

Flying through Hell on wings of fury as Johnny Gat or Kinzie Kensington is frightfully fun.

Read Full Article

sid

Jan 22, 2013
So I'm a a few hours into the game and I feel like I should chip in.

I'm a big fan of the Saints Row series, but the franchise has officially overstayed their welcome for me. The graphics are only marginally better than GTA San Andreas (not a graphics snob, but when assets and character models of a AAA game look like something straight out an aged MMO I tend to look down on it), the mechanics all seem recycled from Saints Row 4 with the addition of one or two new tricks, there's no substantial narrative whatsoever (story elements are thrown in but mostly fall flat from lack of effort, one of the first ingame missions involves rescuing Vlad the Impaler from a prison in hell decorated like a toddler's TV show, but as soon as you get there you're given the task to clear a few enemies out of the room he's in (he's literally in the lobby) and the mission is suddenly over), and overall it just feels creatively barren.

I'm sorry but this is a blatant cash grab. It seems somebody thought adding wonky elements excused the game from being fundamentally good, and the result leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

Jesus christ there's no radio

EDIT: let me note real quick that I'm relatively in the beginning of the game. It might get better as it goes, I'll edit as things happen, but that is definitively not the way to start a game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
No radio? Even 4 had a radio, despite not really having any reason to(other then the cool factor).

And I'm sure they could find enough songs alluding to hell or fire or such to build a soundtrack off of.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Whoa whoa whoa ...no radio?? What kind of horse-shit is that? This is affecting me more than it should. I am not cool with this, Deep silver/Volition. Not cool. You had the best excuse to put a killer soundtrack in the game; and you just don't? I am lost for words except for these words and the ones explaining and so forth!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
You know, it really seems to me that by now Volition is just using gimmicks and outlandish stories in an attempt to hide that they don't have a game as good as Saints Row 2 in them anymore. Which is a shame, really, because Saints Row 2 was one of the best games of its kind. A shame they ran out of ideas so soon.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Does flying get ported over to Saints Row 4 proper? That game really needed flying. Gliding off a super jump was lame.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Alright so I just finished it.

It gets better, like WAY better. The game still has a horrible lack of polish and is missing basic things such as character customization or radios, not to mention Gat is the most boring character ever (his punchline is that he likes killing things) but the gameplay gets insanely cathartic and I actually started giggling out loud when one of the cutscenes turned out to be a musical. Let me refine my earlier point a little, it's still a blatant cash grab, but now I feel like the developers cared about the game, they just weren't allowed to express it too much.

So yeah, it's a DLC alright.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
No radio? That's new. Well atleast I have to listen to less drivel I guess. I can't forgive them for removing The Blood (or The Krunch) from SR4.

Another thing that bugs me, one of the key features of the SR series is making your own protagonist. Now it is either Kinzie or the Brick wannabe of which slips my mind atm.

Still, it's only 20 euro's so I do think I'll buy this on PSN.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
sid said:
Alright so I just finished it.

It gets better, like WAY better. The game still has a horrible lack of polish and is missing basic things such as character customization or radios, not to mention Gat is the most boring character ever (his punchline is that he likes killing things) but the gameplay gets insanely cathartic and I actually started giggling out loud when one of the cutscenes turned out to be a musical. Let me refine my earlier point a little, it's still a blatant cash grab, but now I feel like the developers cared about the game, they just weren't allowed to express it too much.

So yeah, it's a DLC alright.
I don't know what you mean by "blatant cash grab". It seems like there is some decent/fun content here that can take a few hours to complete and the price is 20 bucks. Even if it was "overpriced", it seems like it would only be marginally so and not like asking 10 dollars for a character model or something.

Even your comments are kind of confusing, you said you liked it. Did you like 20 dollars worth? How does it stack up to the other DLC?

I'm not one of those guys that thinks DLC is the devil (no irony intended here), I just want to know if it's worth my shekels.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Bottom line: only get this if you need more Saints Row. If you?re new to the series, this is bar none the weakest installment you can get on PC. I love Saints Row and got this one for $5 (yay gamestop!) so I?m not disappointed, but $20 is definitely too much for such a stripped-down experience.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I bought it. I like the saints. Best modern open world game series that lets you play as a woman, IMO.

I don't say this often, but they put together a really good hell!

It still needed some polish, and maybe a wee bit more content... and stripper poles... Seriously, where's the strip club?

Still fun. I lost track of time playing it. Beating the game's worth it, IMO.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I can't wait to play it, I love every aspect of the series, and Kinzie Natalie Lander is my Bae.