Saints Row IV Review - Hilarious and Over The Top

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Totalbiscuit just uploaded his WTF of it.

It's a Frankenstein monster of a game that wants you to have fun was the gist of it.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
lacktheknack said:
romxxii said:
No mention at all of game length? I'm worried.
Official Xbox Magazine says that it took them 25 hours to do the main and side missions, not including going all completionist on the map itself.
So it's somewhere between the first game and the third?

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
lacktheknack said:
romxxii said:
No mention at all of game length? I'm worried.
Official Xbox Magazine says that it took them 25 hours to do the main and side missions, not including going all completionist on the map itself.
Ok, that seems reasonable enough. Wish it were a bit longer though. It took me 30+ hours to finish The Complete Package, main quest and side missions, no completionist fluff.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Did they really use the same map from SR3? Am I the only one who finds that really lame? It wasn't that great a map. I felt it was kind of flat compared to the one in SR2 getting into a big firefight in one location was much like getting into a firefight in any other location. Definitely not a good enough map to recycle. I'm going to rent it but its going to have to be 'DAMN!' good for me to buy it.
Not only did they recycle the map (and a lot of other assets), they turned it into a dark mess with red and blue highlights. The map really doesn't seem to be this game's best part.

I think I'll wait for a price drop before getting it. This game just seems way too disconnected. As TotalBiscuit said in his video about it, it's really a game that doesn't give a fuck and wants you to have fun. Nothing wrong with that, but I actually like games that do give a fuck. Also, the super powers seem fun, but way too OP, and I doubt I'll enjoy them for very long.

captcha: choco lazer boom

At least captcha is excited.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Your main page article header thingy uses Saints Row the Third artwork.

Other than that, I'm super excited for this. Hopefully, I'll be able to attend the New York launch event (just need to know what time of day it starts).

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Saint's Row gets a 5 and Dragon's Crown a 3? Really, Escapist?

Just kidding, I respect your opinions. I didn't like Saint's Row The Third, but since one of my friends is buying 4 I will give it a shot.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
GundamSentinel said:
GonzoGamer said:
Did they really use the same map from SR3? Am I the only one who finds that really lame? It wasn't that great a map. I felt it was kind of flat compared to the one in SR2 getting into a big firefight in one location was much like getting into a firefight in any other location. Definitely not a good enough map to recycle. I'm going to rent it but its going to have to be 'DAMN!' good for me to buy it.
Not only did they recycle the map (and a lot of other assets), they turned it into a dark mess with red and blue highlights. The map really doesn't seem to be this game's best part.

I think I'll wait for a price drop before getting it. This game just seems way too disconnected. As TotalBiscuit said in his video about it, it's really a game that doesn't give a fuck and wants you to have fun. Nothing wrong with that, but I actually like games that do give a fuck. Also, the super powers seem fun, but way too OP, and I doubt I'll enjoy them for very long.

captcha: choco lazer boom

At least captcha is excited.
Captchas get excited over anything.
I would definitely wait for the price to drop then. It does look like fun but yea, if it's in the same city, that's going to get old quickly. I refused to pay $20 for the GTA4 mission packs, I can't imagine paying $60 for what's essentially the same thing.
It's too bad. SR2 is one of my favorite games from this generation.
I'm hoping that if GTA V has absurdly priced DLC again that we at least get another city (San Fierro or Las Venturas) and a female character to finally play as.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Wait! You can make sweet love to anyone in this game except Keith David?! Thumbs down. ;P jk.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
My club has a guy who gets games early, probably to review them too. I watched them play this yesterday. It looked pretty damn awesome. I was hesitant about the fourth installment, but now I can safely say I am excited. I can't wait to play it. I could have played it yesterday, but I'd rather wait until I get to play it from start to end on PC:

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I really want this game but I will have to wait for a steam sale or something. It is £40 on PC and £30 on ps3/360.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
WMDogma said:
Saints Row IV Review - Hilarious and Over The Top

Over the top action, melodramatic alien overlords and Keith David. What's not to like?

Read Full Article
I really enjoyed Saints Row: The Third but one of the issues I had with it was the pedestrian AI. I try not to run over people if I can avoid it but in SR3, I'd be driving a tank down the center of the street and when people panic they get a direction set and run in that direction until outside the panic area. The problem is that they would often choose the same direction as my tank but a couple degrees off, meaning they slowly were edging their way in front of my tank. Then they'd die. I really hated how stupid they were programmed, people shouldn't be running in the way of a tank while panicked.

Anyway, did you notice any issues like that or did you not really spend that much time in vehicles due to the powers?

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
And so once again Keith David-sexuals are left out by game developers. Gotta say, that's pretty disheartening. I thought we were making progress on this issue.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
No romanceable Keith David?

ZERO OUT OF TEN, ZERO OUT OF TEN

[HEADING=3]ZERRRRROOOOOOOO OUTTTT OFFFFFF TEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNN[/HEADING]

But seriously, really psyched for this game. Shame it comes out 4 days before I leave for college.

Superland

Jul 21, 2013
In my opinion, This game is trying way too hard to have more variety than GTA,
that it forgot one very important thing for any sandbox game, interesting city to explore.
Tho, I like Saints Row's series because of its siliness.
Simply blame the new publisher for probably forcing this game out so early, it should have been a next gen release with a new city, too bad :(
So IMO, Not worth $60.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Considering the vid Jim did on the romances, which is pretty spoileriffic,
I'd be surprised if Keith David truely isn't romanceable, and they just missed the pre-reqs somewhere.

I'm still pretty pumped over SR4 coz it spoiled me as far as sandbox games go thanks to it's character customization, and gender select. It's basically the only game in it's genre I know of that lets you play as a woman.

'm gunna pre-order it, I hope, after moving.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I'm torn in half, I was already tearing during Saints Row the Third. I can't deny how much fun I had, I can't deny how much better it played and I certainly can't deny its absurdity. I just can't help notice that their Jack Sparrow is suddenly missing a Will Turner and it seems they're now missing Elizabeth. I pre-ordered the Third, but I'm probably going to wait for this now. I understand the decision that Volition took Saints Row in and I respect Deep Silver for carrying on the absurdity, but I don't like it.

Saints Row 2 (I realise a lot of people bat on about SR2, they hold it up to some heights) was and is a great game. It's the perfect balance of sweet and sour. I'm not going to deny it wasn't absurd, (e.g. Mr. Sunshine and his Voodoo immortality) but it had balance between the insanity and the gang war against the Ronin, Sons of Samedi and the Brotherhood. There's a sense of progression that lets you feel like you're moving up in the world. The Third tried to pull you back down to Earth, but that lasts about 20 minutes before you've got a tower with a helipad and more guns than you know what to do with.
I'll still be enjoying the Saints Row series, I'll just always find myself looking back at Saints Row 2 wondering what's going on in Stillwater.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I heard a lot of similar admiration for Saints Row 3, and I found that game pretty disappointing overall. It felt like that episode of the Simpsons when Homer becomes the leader of the Stone Cutters and they let him win at everything. SR3 (or the Third) feels like it's trying so hard to make me feel awesome and throw all this funny over the top stuff in my face, but I walk away from the whole experience feeling like it's just some empty, mindless game.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I'm just hoping the dubstep gun is optional and that'i'm never forced to use it, for a mission for exemple... Because i hate Dubstep