Saints Row IV Trailer Shows War for Humanity

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Saints Row IV Trailer Shows War for Humanity

With aliens invading, only lasers, robots, and pixelated nudity can save the human race.

The Saints Row series certainly doesn't take itself too seriously, which is a huge part of its appeal. It's going to take a lot to top the insanity of Saints Row: The Third, but its successor appears to be well on its way. Who cares about a purple dildo weapon when you've got aliens, spaceships, robots, lasers, and nudity in the latest trailer for "the most dramatic Saints Row game ever"?

The trailer was revealed on the Saints Row twitter account earlier today, where it was referred to as "the Citizen Kane of game trailers." There are some returning characters and new faces in the trailer, but the question of "why is the President naked all the time" is, sadly, left unanswered. We do get a better idea of the scope of Saints Row IV's alien invasion in the video, and it looks rather threatening. I'm sure it's nothing some dubstep can't fix, though.

Developed by Volition and published by Deep Silver after it acquired the franchise from defunct publisher THQ, Saints Row IV is due out on August 20. Then we'll get to find out what this Keith David guy is all about.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I like the saints row games having played through them all. This preview (ridiculousness aside)made it look not like a saints row game.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
The only way i will like this game as a Saints Row Game is if H. Jon Benjamin Is one of the Male voice packs.

Other than that...this isn't really saints row but extremely less serious Prototype.
It'll be fun, but...not SR2 fun.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
If this is the US version, is the European one basically the same, but without the pixalation?

As a side note, when did Saints Row become a sci-fi game? DIdn't it used to be an open-world crime RPG?

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
This looks incredibly over the top and stupid.

I love it.

Man Q3/4 2013 are gonna be awesome.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
This is just retarded. Saints Row was an OK GTA clone. Then they went their own direction and created the awesome that is Saints Row 2. Then they forgot that what made Saints Row 2 great was the perfect balance between the serious and wacky. They took the wacky so far in Saints Row 3 that the Joker-like psycho protagonist often ended up being the straight man. And now this, what the hell are they thinking?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Andrew_C said:
This is just retarded. Saints Row was a mediocre GTA clone. Then they went their own direction and created the awesome that is Saints Row 2. Then they forgot that what made Saints Row 2 great was the perfect balance between the serious and wacky. They took the wacky so far in Saints Row 3 that the Joker-like psycho protagonist often ended up being the straight man. And now this, what the hell were they thinking?
I'm no telepath, but I'd venture a guess they thought they were having fun.

And honestly, so was I. There's certainly something to be said in favour of extreme wackiness in gaming.

OT: I'm impressed. I honestly didn't expect the narrator to keep a straight face all the way through.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
It MIGHT be good again.

The premise is absolutely ludicrous but to me it seems they are basically saying that all we did up to now was inside the Matrix. So if they manage to balance "serious" ... well Good paced story telling with wackiness we might once again do business. If this is just SR3 with even more stupid craziness and just balls to the walls all the time ridiculousness then I will pass.

You need those few moments where you can breathe to keep up the ludicrous nature. Spraying houses with shit was fun because you didn't constantly spray houses with shit. Alright a more tasty metaphor would be that a slice of apple pie is delicious, but eating the whole damned thing will just make you sick and that last bite will taste like someone sprayed shit all over it.

That is what Saints Row 3 was. An apple pie you had to finish in one go. SR2 however was an apple pie interrupted with a few hours of recreational activity like spraying stuff with shit before a butler would hand you the next slice when you were craving some more.

More of that and less of SR3 please.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
I loved Saints Row: The Third. (You may now tune out or prepare your impassioned rebuttals, diehard SR2 fans.) I loved the wackiness and the gameplay and the style. My brother and I still play it sometimes, just driving around and antagonizing the cops (then the national guard, then STAG...). It's fun.

Saints Row Four looks like more of the same fun, plus other different kinds of fun added in on top. Super powers, mech suits, weird guns that have hilarious effects... Those are inherently fun things to have in a video game. Those of you who loved Saints Row 2 too much to enjoy The Third and lament the direction this series has taken now that you've seen some trailers for part 4, I have nine words for you: YOU WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

You won't even make it through the primaries. You will be mocked on The Daily Show.

--Morology!

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This will kill off the last of those pesky brain cells... but i'm going to love every stupid second of it :D here's hoping Jonny Gatt makes a come back and this'll be the best game ever!!! (at least untill saints row V)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
All the hating aside, this is a good direction this game went in. It just looks like fun, when did that become a negative thing? People who want GTA clones need to let go of Saints Row. You can always play GTA#Whatever for your serious crime open world games. This is just ridiculous and awesome, hopefully. I'm looking forward to these powers and the ridiculous nature of the game. Every time I see this, I want to play The Third again.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
LordMonty said:
This will kill off the last of those pesky brain cells... but i'm going to love every stupid second of it :D here's hoping Jonny Gatt makes a come back and this'll be the best game ever!!! (at least untill saints row V)
Needs a Zombie Gatt!

Also, did you know the CE comes with a "working" replica of the dubstep gun, the doomsday button and Johnny Gatt statue? I am seriously considering getting that one...

codeg

Apr 23, 2011
honeybakedham said:
Wow.

That looks incredibly awesome!
Fixed that for you :)

If I want a game with a deep, compelling narrative I'll play Beyond: Two Souls or The Last of Us. If I want a game where I can have complete unrestrained fun I'll play Saint's Row IV.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I lost it at about the point they had Keith David as... Keith David.

I may have to pick this up. Saints 3 very nearly swayed me into playing, and this looks even more... over the top. If I can play it without involving myself in constant out-and-out nudity and dildo fights, I'll be all the happier.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
Baresark said:
All the hating aside, this is a good direction this game went in. It just looks like fun, when did that become a negative thing? People who want GTA clones need to let go of Saints Row. You can always play GTA#Whatever for your serious crime open world games. This is just ridiculous and awesome, hopefully. I'm looking forward to these powers and the ridiculous nature of the game. Every time I see this, I want to play The Third again.
Saints Row 2 was amazing. It wasn't linear, it wasn't a grind, it didn't take all the danger away by the end of the game, it didn't kill someone important off-camera ... I do play SR2 every now and again, but once I finished 3 I uninstalled it from my computer. The only thing I liked from the Third was the hoverbike, the VTOL and the base jumping.

There's such a thing as being too ridiculous. The leader went from 'I used to OWN this city!' to 'man, I'm out of hairspray'. Gat was the only one who seemed to have retained any real characterization from the second game, and he got the short end of the stick big time. The gangs in Steelport were terrible (though how can you compare to the Vice Kings?), especially Kilbane.

What really put me off was them changing the advancement system and the story from non-linear 'pick your path' style to a level-up system. Choice is the best thing you can give your players, but apparently someone at Volition forgot that.

I guess it's cool that Shaundi isn't actually dead, that part of the Third really pissed me off, aside from Gat that is. You know, back when Volition released Saints Row 2, someone there commented that they felt they tried to do too much with the game and spread it too thin. It worked for SR2, but that's exactly what they did for the Third and it completely ruined it.

codeg said:
honeybakedham said:
Wow.

If I want a game with a deep, compelling narrative I'll play Beyond: Two Souls or The Last of Us. If I want a game where I can have complete unrestrained fun I'll play Saint's Row IV.
Gat losing Aisha, you losing Carlos, Maero losing his girlfriend, those were all good storytelling moments. Insisting that a game can't have important, dramatic moments despite its general comedic tone is flawed logic. I got pissed off at having to deal with all the huge-ass brutes in the Third and actively avoided doing a lot of gang missions until later on, which made the game less fun since I was avoiding playing it because killing them took forever.

The game was a grind. While I will admit that a lot of the minigames in SR2 were a grind as well (screw you, Crowd Control), it was still more fun. I got to choose what things to unlock first, usually infinite sprint, I could choose what missions, strongholds or other non-plot related things to do and what order to do them in and in general the writing was better.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
codeg said:
honeybakedham said:
Wow.

Yeah I agree.

Luckily I've never become such a hard core gamer that I can't have fun with a title that is designed to be completely over the top ridiculous. Games like this are reason I love gaming so much, because basically anything is possible.
Super powers? Check.
Mech suits? Check.
Guns that are incredibly over powered and do insane things? Check.
Swearing/low brow, dirty humor? Check.

I'm getting this bad boy for sure!!!!