Sakaguchi: Last Story Not a Final Fantasy Rehash

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sakaguchi: Last Story Not a Final Fantasy Rehash

Wii RPG The Last Story has a very familiar name, but creator Hironobu Sakaguchi says it's not going to be a Final Fantasy clone.

Hironobu Sakaguchi has stated that Final Fantasy Gaiden [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/] director Takashi Tokida where he made the claim.

As translated by Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/06/sakaguchi_last_story_ff_rehash/], Sakaguchi began by asking Tokida: "How about stopping with the Final Fantasy rehashes?" Final Fantasy Gaiden actually looks like a creative little game, so Sakaguchi was likely ribbing his Final Fantasy comrade.

The comment seemed to inflame the Twitter community, as someone tweeted to Sakaguchi: "From the title, Last Story gives the feeling of being a big Final Fantasy rehash." Sick burn. Sakaguchi's reply, now deleted for some reason, was: "I think you'll feel this once you've tried it. Last Story is not a rehash."

With the variation of Final Fantasy titles available simply in the main series, not including any of the wacky offshoots [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6988-Review-Final-Fantasy-Crystal-Chronicles-The-Crystal-Bearers], Sakaguchi could easily get away with this statement no matter what The Last Story ends up as. Still, when you consider that the game is being developed for the Wii with Nintendo, it probably will involve lots of waggling and wiggling (or at least some), and possibly forego well-known RPG staples such as random battles.

Sakaguchi could have his own reasons for naming The Last Story in a similar way to Final Fantasy. He could want it to be his rebirth a la Final Fantasy for the NES (which really was intended to be Square's last hurrah). Mistwalker's previous projects have ranged from the very Final Fantasy-similar Blue Dragon to the more unique Away Shuffle Dungeon, none really lighting the world on fire like Final Fantasy. We just don't know what Sakaguchi means here yet, but hopefully he'll back up the comment when The Last Story is eventually shown.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/06/sakaguchi_last_story_ff_rehash/]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I've heard more generic names, anyhow.
I'm not really worried about it being a final fantasy clone, I'm more worried that it will stick in the general familiar waters of all JRPGs.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
You go Papa Sakaguchi. Grab Uematsu, Amano and Kitase and go show them all how to make a damn RPG.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Wait, what? The Last Story is an actual thing? I thought it was made up by ENN!

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
I can't wait for the anticipated sequal 'Aftermost Rendition of a Fictional Chain of Events Involving Angsty Teens'

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Is it just for the Wii? Because it seems intresting and i wouldnt mind playing it, its just i dont have a Wii. Also, i hope its nothign like a FF game. I was very dispointed in FF13..

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite JRPGs (next to FFXIII) this gen, so I'm actually kind of anticipating this game. Although the name is oddly similar to "Final Fantasy".

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
This is the logo for the latest FF.
[http://img169.imageshack.us/i/logoyl.jpg/]

Look, if you're going to distance yourself from FF, why would you make a logo that looks almost exactly like the FF logos, including a really similar letter font and the position of the original title in jap? That's just a stupid ass decision.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
ark123 said:

Look, if you're going to distance yourself from FF, why would you make a logo that looks almost exactly like the FF logos, including a really similar letter font and the position of the original title in jap? That's just a stupid ass decision.
You've covered what I was going to.

Oh well, I'll still play it. I don't care, it'll keep me entertained for a few more hours, but DAMN am I sick of boss fights. I really need to go play an FPS for a while.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
As long as it isn't boring it won't be a rehash!
Zing!

But seriously, it's easy to judge something before you even know about it, so I'm not going to do that...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
Did he not expect to take some stick when the names are that similar?
Seriously...He named it that and he was like "Huh, Flak? Why?!"

I still expect it to be like "FF" just because thats how all JRPG's geberally like to roll

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Even if it was Mistwalker makes some really amazing games. /hugs Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
If I ever buy a Wii it'll be simply because of this game - Mistwalker have designed some great games (Lost Odyssey being the best of a good bunch) and with the seeming lack of any decent RPG's on the 360 for the rest of this year (Now Resonance of Fate has been released) I'm very much tempted to buy one.

Whilst naming it "The Last Story" was always going to get some stick, he certainly has a point regarding Square-Enix's use of the Final Fantasy name - joking or not. The sheer amount of games that bear that name, particularly the MMO's, show just how eager Square-Enix seem to be to exploit the franchise.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
...So now having a name that is somewhat similar to another game's suddenly equals rehash? Seriously, we know next to nothing about the game so far, and everyone's already labelling it as a Final Fantasy clone... Geez, people fail so hard.

So very, very hard.

Anyways, on-topic, I don't own a Wii, and I don't plan on ever getting one, but if I did have one I'd certainly be keeping my eye on this. Hope it works out well.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
ark123 said:

You've covered what I was going to.

Oh well, I'll still play it. I don't care, it'll keep me entertained for a few more hours, but DAMN am I sick of boss fights. I really need to go play an FPS for a while.
The man in charge of both artworks is the same and i don't think his style has changed much over the years so it is no wonder it looks the same.

OT: I don't think Sakaguchi's comment on twitter were meant to be serious.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
I say the only way for him not to say it's a rehash is gameplay footage
after all seeing is believing and actions speak louder than words