Salman Rushdie Believes Nintendo Can Solve the Middle East Crisis

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
So Nintendo and Mario... are going to save the world (or the Middle East)? Huh, I'm intrigued.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
So you liberate them by making them fat nerds? Seems like that would only make them bigger shut ins XD. Just Kidding.

He sounds like an ok guy to hang around with.

Ben Simon

Aug 23, 2010
Although I recognize the lack of Wiis in many middle eastern nations, I don't think that's why there's so much fighting. No offense, but Rushdie probably wasn't thinking it through when he said that video games would be the answer.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
No offense to Mr. Rushdie, but attempting to export even more culture into the Middle East will solve nothing. Militant Islam is a product of an attempted solidarity movement within Islam as well as a response to both Western intervention and cultural imperialism. If anything, more culture will be seen as an attempt to challenge Islamic beliefs, leading more to embrace radical comprehensive doctrines.

Also, just leaving the Middle East alone won't solve anything either. Best thing to do is to support moderate Islam movements within Middle Eastern countries.

The Morrigan

Wharrgarble
Nov 23, 2010
Layzor said:
Cool, maybe he'll do some writing for games.
Where can I send in my preemptive pre-order for such a game? I would love to see what such a creation looks like!

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Telling stories sideways. That's a brilliant way of putting it. I'm going to use that next time I have to argue how Morrowind and Half-Life do it right while Halo and CoD do it wrong. He gets it like so few high culture figures do. So why is he so down on Game of Thrones?