Same Sex Relationships (Finally) Coming to The Old Republic

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Same Sex Relationships (Finally) Coming to The Old Republic

The feature was delayed while they worked on the free to play transition.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a year old now - let that sink in for a second. In that time, the one that's been promised since before the game even launched [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115658-The-Old-Republic-Becomes-the-Fastest-Growing-MMO-Ever]. Come this Spring, you will be able to have a romantic encounter with a character of the same sex. Maybe.

Hickman said the programming and design work necessary to implement this change actually took a lot more time than the team had anticipated and he feels bad about that. "I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game," he said. "I realize that we promised [same gender romances] to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character.

"Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game free-to-play," Hickman continued. "As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of."

Hickman revealed there are plans to have some same gender romances available on a particular planet (Makeb) in the short term - added with the big "digital expansion" Rise of the Hutt Cartel due out this Spring - and they will be pursuing expanding those options in the future. Great, so, the option will be there for only a select few NPCs, but the companions that level up with you and become your buddies won't ever be able to get past that "friend" level with you.

Now that the transition to free to play is over, it stands to reason the team will have more time to implement more same sex options throughout 2013. I don't know if that's enough incentive for players to suddenly go back to playing TOR, but it's nice that BioWare will finally be adding a role-playing feature many players have enjoyed in its other franchises like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. As a rule, the more roleplaying options the better.

Of course, being able to roleplay a truly sinister character was enough for some folks. I played my Sith Warrior as an evil psychopath - none of that "nice guy" Revan crap for me - so I don't know if having the option to get all lovey-dovey with a handsome bounty hunter would really make me want to spend money on the game. But if there was torture involved ... Never mind. I don't want to go down that path. (It leads to suffering.)

Source: The Old Republic [http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
As much as I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE EA, I really do like how they don't shy away from LGBT content in games. More companies need to be open about it.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Completely unrelated to the praise expressed so far, but the choice of picture underneath that headline had me spit soda all over my keyboard.

Just.... No... Nothing with sharp teeth and that shape should be related to "Same Sex Relationships".

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Sidney Buit said:
Completely unrelated to the praise expressed so far, but the choice of picture underneath that headline had me spit soda all over my keyboard.

Just.... No... Nothing with sharp teeth and that shape should be related to "Same Sex Relationships".
What? Are you against giant space dessert vaginas marrying each other? That's prejudice!

I would say this is "good news", but in reality I agree with the "(FINALLY!)" part of the article. This was originally a feature that was supposed to be in the game when it launched over a year ago, or even a few patches after that. However, instead they bunked around with ....nothing. Honestly, the game was a good story motion, but lacked features that define it as an MMORPG. And, even as a story driven game, it lacks the story 'oomph' that other Bioware titles had prior to it. Overall, it was a poorly executed system.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Not against this by any means, but if Bioware starts bragging about introducing gay couples to Star Wars I will personally throw a copy of Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice at them.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Hooray, same sex romance in SWTOR... I totally wanted that instead of fixing the companion lightsaber bug that's been around since launch, or the companion unify colors / preview bug that popped up due to the stripping of content for f2p, etc...
Yeah, it's a good thing, should've been there at launch, but seriously, how about instead of press grabbing additions they fix bugs that have been there and obvious since launch.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Not against this by any means, but if Bioware starts bragging about introducing gay couples to Star Wars I will personally throw a copy of Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice at them.
You mean you haven't burned it already?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Man, that's so gay :p

Good on EA, they need all the goodwill they can get.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Sadly no. Everything that has taken place after Bloodlines has been absolutely awful, but I don't burn books. Besides, how would I be able to rip apart Troy Denning's garbage or watch his pissing match with Traviss play out between the pages of their books?

Killing Mara Jade in a poorly drawn out matter is one thing. Putting child molestation into Star Wars is another. Both are pretty bad, but in the end I'll stick with the writer who only treats the Jedi as Nazis rather than the one who assassinates characters for the sake of shock value.

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
I don't understand how this took "a lot more time" to program. What weird data structure dependencies/algorithms did they implement that made changing a trivial binary check break the program?

Large projects like this, obviously, can have lots of weird code issues. But something like this shouldn't be that big of a problem.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
saintdane05 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Sadly no. Everything that has taken place after Bloodlines has been absolutely awful, but I don't burn books. Besides, how would I be able to rip apart Troy Denning's garbage or watch his pissing match with Traviss play out between the pages of their books?

Killing Mara Jade in a poorly drawn out matter is one thing. Putting child molestation into Star Wars is another. Both are pretty bad, but in the end I'll stick with the writer who only treats the Jedi as Nazis rather than the one who assassinates characters for the sake of shock value.
I did like the Yuuzahn Vhong war, though. (However you spell them). Vector Prime was good.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Urgh, this is disgusting. It's Luke and Leia, not Luke and Han! Anakin hates fags! Thank the Force for 0 BBY and dead Stormtroopers!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
saintdane05 said:
Soviet Heavy said:

I did like the Yuuzahn Vhong war, though. (However you spell them). Vector Prime was good.
The Yuuzhan Vong War got points for pushing the envelope with what Star Wars was capable of. It introduced a whole new set of characters while putting the main heroes into a new dynamic as mentors rather than frontline warriors. Then, everything afterwards (Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi) has done its best to kill off all those new interesting characters in order to redo the prequels, except even worse. Legacy of the Force is Anakin's fall as told through Jacen Solo, and it manages to be even worse.

felbot

May 11, 2011
funny how this announcement came on the same day i decided to UN-install the game, it was just sitting there taking space.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I'm not the biggest Chris Avellone fan in the world, but I'm pretty sure he's right on this point: voice acting for every single line of dialogue in huge RPGs is rarely worth it. My guess is that the major expense and time involved in the gay jedi buttsex isn't just changing some bits from no-homo to homo, but rather getting the actors together to voice the scenes in question, getting the studio time, editing, mixing, etc. The writing and coding portion would likely be pretty cheap otherwise.

Aside from that, knee-jerk reaction: make F2P less insanely broken (I know it hurts, but I'd limit the story missions and open up the PvP and operations) and then I'll care about whether you add romance options I don't plan on using anyway.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
felbot said:
funny how this announcement came on the same day i decided to UN-install the game, it was just sitting there taking space.
This reminds me, I forgot to rage uninstall it the day I played the trial and realized I couldn't go into space. I go through a ton of crap, soloing group quests (because I'm an objective stealing jerk), and when I finally get my starship I found out I couldn't fly in it. Haven't touched it since.

OT: Wasn't there an incident that ended up declaring there are no gays in Star Wars? What's the point of making same-sex relationships possible when there are 0 gay characters to have said relationships?