Samsung Says Blu-Ray Has Five Years Left

Wermut

Jul 10, 2008
Depending on the quality of the CD it can have a life-span of up to 30 years.
Interestingly enough many archives didn't find out about this until after they switched to CD storage.

Northery

Sep 9, 2008
While getting back to the main topic, yes i think it is important for tech makers to stop producing DVDs because that's the only way to make progress towards blue-ray. I still don't understand the the rush to move forward since the only thing that is doing is jacking up the prices on everything. Why not focus on making actually affordable HD televisions so that most homes would have one. Also, who is technology moving so far out of the average joe's reach?

jarowdowsky

Sep 6, 2008
I'm still not convinced Blu-Ray has enough of an advantage over DVD to make it to the same level of success.

I don't doubt that PC users or gamers, or any early adopting ipod geek, will probably move over to blu-ray at some point but I don't see there being the same level of take up from the people who make the big difference... Your grandad, your tech-hating cousin, your old headmaster, basically the vast majority of people in the world.

For many people to change from video to DVD mirrored the change from cassette to CD, it was a unique new format with a wealth of new functionality and was an easier format to use. Adding instant chapter navigation, laserdisc special features, loaded special editions was very, very new to most people.

Whereas blu-ray... yes it's good, but it's a higher resolution and capacity DVD, it's really not anything more than that is it. It isn't more resistant to damage, it isn't incredibly cheap, it isn't filled with things you can do that you can't do on DVD.

My technically challenging mother, honestly - she can't change the time on the oven, isn't going to buy a blu-ray player and watch HD movies. You know what she does do though, she uses the automatic program record in her hard drive digi-box to record all her favourite detective shows. She used the BBC iplayer to watch coverage of the Olympics. Her other 60ish year old friends are all looking around for cheap hard-drive recorders because it seems so easy to never miss and episode with them.

That seems to me where things are going - easy, simple film and TV downloads through a cable/Sky subscriptions. I think it's happening not because I want it to go that way but because a huge number of people are going in that direction who have no interest in new technology.

As to blu-ray, I don't think it will ever overtake DVD, it will probably be around as long as DVD and will have an increasing user base - but I can't possibly imagine a time when you'd be able to only release something on blu-ray and not on DVD. Really, does anyone ever expect to see that happen?

5 years is probably a bit short though, especially if they started loss-leading it. Complete season of Buffy or The West Wing all on one disc for 15 quid? That would probably shift a few players.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
jarowdowsky post=7.70685.712272 said:
For many people to change from video to DVD mirrored the change from cassette to CD, it was a unique new format with a wealth of new functionality and was an easier format to use.
CDs were easier to manufacture than cassets and DVDs were easier to manufacture than CDs during the times they were introduced? What? This is basically history repeating itself, you've got a brand new format that people are reluctant to move towards because of it's uncertanty and brand new shiny features and people will always side with the easiest and most familiar format and stick with it until eventually giving in to the newer format.

I don't know wether that will happen to Blu-ray, but you have to admit the situation is incredibly similar to when people switched to DVDs. Though I'm curious as to if the HD DVD ever caught on because I only heard about HD DVD and Blu-Ray when the PS3 was announced (I've heard of HD DVD movies, but I just assumed that it was DVDs that could be in High-def).

Blu-ray has been out, how long? I'll say 3 years, more or less. What do you think people were saying with DVD around that time? "Oh, I don't see the difference" "Eh, it's to expensive" "Pfft, it's pointless".

Of course, I could be completely wrong and Blu-Ray will go the way of HD DVD and Betamax, but as visuals are peaking (note how I didn't say "graphics") it's now about the software and hardware capabilities (don't know which one "storage space" fits into) which Blu-ray format can offer.

But let's not stop there! What about OLED TVs? What about HD Cameras? What about Underwater-working video recorders? Who would needs those?!?! Since the youth of the day is growing up with technology, and not the older aged gentelmen of yesteryear, it's all about the new and exciting now.

Grated, I could be ocmpletely wrong, but you have to admit that it's very similar to what everyone was saying 10 years ago.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.70685.713177 said:
Aries_Split post=7.70685.710942 said:
Gravy Devil post=7.70685.710939 said:
Honestly, I don't even seen the need for HD or Blu-ray discs unless it is to just hold more space,like putting a trilogy to one disc. Friends of mine rave about the quality of picture, but to me I just don't see shelling out fo a Blu-ray when a DVD works just fine. It would be a completly different argument if DVD's were a simple chess game and Blu-Ray was a holographic chess game were you moved the images to attack each other with your mind. But it's really just that Blu-Ray is just another chess game with checker pieces thrown in. A little different, a little better, but nothing you can't live without.
Sounds eerily similar to what people said about DVD.
I thought I was the only one who saw the parallel.
That is creepy...

"Just used for more space". DVDs can hold more space than Cassettes
"The quality of the picture doesn't really matter." people said the same things about DVDs
"My DVDs work fine." "My CDs work fine.
"Blu-ray's just slightly different, there's no real difference between DVD and Blu-ra6" DVDs have better hardware than CDs and allow people to store more things!

That is hella creepy...

Jul 8, 2008
These companies talking about how this is gonna be a dead technology and this thing they're making is gonna take it's place. Why doesn't Samsung just do something good for the people and make a HDTV that's reasonably priced. I need a HDTV to utilize Blue-Ray technology and since almost everything requires HDTV technology to use it would be great if they lowered the price on a 18" HDTV so someone like me could afford it so I can buy and use the new hgiher quality video player technology shit.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Jumplion post=7.70685.713195 said:
That is creepy...

"Just used for more space". DVDs can hold more space than Cassettes
"The quality of the picture doesn't really matter." people said the same things about DVDs
"My DVDs work fine." "My CDs work fine.
"Blu-ray's just slightly different, there's no real difference between DVD and Blu-ra6" DVDs have better hardware than CDs and allow people to store more things!

That is hella creepy...
You watched your movies on CD? Thought VHS was the predecessor. DVDs added no fucking rewinding and menus.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.70685.714755 said:
And back then, there were people saying that we don't need menus., that it was just a superfluous addition. Seeing the pattern?
Were there any that liked rewinding? What annoyance did blu-ray solve?

Wermut

Jul 10, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.70685.715154 said:
And back then, there were people saying that we don't need menus., that it was just a superfluous addition. Seeing the pattern?
Storage, possibly having whole seasons and trilogies on one disc.

If only they would use it that way...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Wermut post=7.70685.715995 said:

Like I said, Blu-Ray has the most appeal in the Video Games industry.

Who here has ever heard of Blu-Ray before the PS3 was announced? I've never heard of it before, niether has my friend, maybe you did but I highly doubt people gave two shits until the Ps3 announced the possibilities of Blu-ray.

I don't know wether movie makers will ever use that much space, but video games will (as shown by MGS4) and any upgrade in format is a good one for them. Hell, maybe MS will pull out a Rnbw-Beem format and it'll hold 3 times as much as Blu-ray, who knows?!?!?!

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Jumplion post=7.70685.716313 said:
Who here has ever heard of Blu-Ray before the PS3 was announced? I've never heard of it before, niether has my friend, maybe you did but I highly doubt people gave two shits until the Ps3 announced the possibilities of Blu-ray.

I don't know wether movie makers will ever use that much space, but video games will (as shown by MGS4) and any upgrade in format is a good one for them. Hell, maybe MS will pull out a Rnbw-Beem format and it'll hold 3 times as much as Blu-ray, who knows?!?!?!
I have. I don't give away my shit but I did care, its new tech. Most jumped on the bandwagon since the E3 Press Conference talked all about it ("4D graphics!") and it was obvious it was the winner.

They don't put whole seasons or the like because its high-def.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
No, but they didn't feel the need to upgrade, that's all.

Just like it is now.

History repeats itself, and it's gonna keep doing so until we really just can't improve anymore.

Wermut

Jul 10, 2008
Jumplion post=7.70685.716313 said:
Wermut post=7.70685.715995 said:

Like I said, Blu-Ray has the most appeal in the Video Games industry.

At the moment it feels like blu-ray is like SACD. I learned about blu-ray early on, but that was because of school. All we learned though was what laser was used, how much space per layer and how many layers. At that point I didn't even think of HD or video game use.

I understand the reasoning for using blu-ray as HD only, but I think it would be more popular if they maxed out the storage with SD. Especially since the trend in arguments seems to be "I can't afford a HD TV."

EDIT: I agree with blu-ray having more appeal in the video games industry.