Samuel Jackson Crushes Reporter For Laurence Fishburne Mixup

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Samuel Jackson Crushes Reporter For Laurence Fishburne Mixup

KTLA anchor Sam Rubin learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to confuse Samuel L. Jackson with Laurence Fishburne.

Samuel L. Jackson and Laurence Fishburne are both very cool dudes, but it really is best not to confuse them with one another. Just ask Sam Rubin of KTLA, who asked Jackson in a recent interview about the reaction to his Superbowl commercial. Alas, Jackson was not in a Superbowl commercial - Fishburne was. Rubin was clearly (and rightly) embarrassed and tried to quickly move on, but Jackson wouldn't let it go.

"I'm not Laurence Fishburne. We don't all look alike. We may be all black and famous, but we don't all look alike," he said in the way that he does. "You're the entertainment reporter for this station, and you don't know the difference between me and Laurence Fishburne? There must be a very short line for your job."

Rubin tried to turn the conversation back to Robocop, Jackson's new movie, but Jackson was having none of it. He pointed out that there's more than one black guy doing commercials, noting that he's the "What's in your wallet?" black guy, and then went on to list several others and the commercials they're involved in. Jackson appeared to let it go after smacking Rubin around for a couple of minutes, but it wasn't quite over yet. He had a few cool things to say about Robocop, too.

At the conclusion of the interview, Rubin predicted that the recording of the segment will "have a life of its own," which his colleagues all readily agreed with.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToaHQI9X5RI]

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
According to the apology made by Rubin, he was actually referring to the Captain America ad which had also played during the Superbowl, which did have Jackson in it. ...but barely... He went on to say that he didn't correct Samuel because he had gotten so embarrassed in the moment.

Take the apology as you will. I'm not stating whether or not I believe it, as I don't quite know yet, but any information to add to the story is great.

?We start right now with the beauty and the occasional pain of live television. First and foremost, I do know who Samuel L. Jackson is. I?ve interviewed him several times over the years, but never quite like the conversation we just had.

?I indicated to Samuel that I?d seen him during the Super Bowl, and he thought that I had confused him with the commercial Laurence Fishburne had done for a car company. Of course a ?Captain America? ad had also run during the Super Bowl, but I immediately felt so dumb, I didn?t bring that up ? and he gave me the shellacking that was well deserved.

?I pride myself on the fact ? that unlike a lot of people who do this kind of work ? more often than not, I really do know what I?m talking about. But I didn?t 30 minutes ago, and I?m really embarrassed about it, and I very much apologize to Samuel L. Jackson and anyone else who was offended for what was a very amateur mistake.?

http://ktla.com/2014/02/10/ktlas-sam-rubin-apologizes-to-samuel-l-jackson-after-laurence-fishburne-mix-up/#ixzz2sxWc3mRV

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
You also forgot the other black guy on tv that does insurance.

Nope, Don't forgive him, He is white so inherently a racist.

I hope he looses his job, and is sent to federal buttpounding prison because reasons.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Oh wow, Sam Rubin's still around. I've seen his face since my elementary school days.

Also, Samuel Jackson handled it better than I thought.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Samuel L Jackson likes to fuck with reporters like this, so it's pretty funny. That said, I dislike how he played the "race" card on this one (What, you think we all look alike?). There are plenty of black actors that look similar, just as there are plenty of white actors that look similar (Matt Damon and Mark Whalberg, anyone?), confusing them does not make you racist.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
You also forgot the other black guy on tv that does insurance.

Nope, Don't forgive him, He is white so inherently a racist.

I hope he looses his job, and is sent to federal buttpounding prison because reasons.
I think he was just fucking with the guy
he is samuel l jackson after all

then again, I haven't watched the video (I'm on my phone and the youtube app doesn't work well), so maybe the way he said it wasn't a joking one

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think Samuel L. Jackson was mad, he just had fun ribbing on the guy.

That being said, I frequently mix up Laurence Fishburne and Christopher Judge.
They have really similar build and face shape.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Samuel L Jackson likes to fuck with reporters like this, so it's pretty funny. That said, I dislike how he played the "race" card on this one (What, you think we all look alike?). There are plenty of black actors that look similar, just as there are plenty of white actors that look similar (Matt Damon and Mark Whalberg, anyone?), confusing them does not make you racist.
Yeahhhh. See, here's the thing. Lawrence Fishbourn and Samuel L. Jackson look NOTHING ALIKE. At all. Except they are black. And it is a common, deep problem that people handle black people interchangeably. Now, I don't think he was being racist, and I don't think SLJ really thought he was, but SLJ took the oppertunity and played it for pretty great laughs.

BTW: There is no 'race card'. People do dumb shit, and get called on it. You don't get a pass just because race is involved.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
GrinningCat said:
Take the apology as you will. I'm not stating whether or not I believe it, as I don't quite know yet, but any information to add to the story is great.
Considering he said 'working with Marvel...' and a picture of Captain America was on right before asking the question, it seems like a pretty realistic mistake.

AzrealMaximillion said:
Samuel L Jackson looks like he's borderline fucking with the guy. Regardless it was funny.
Pretty sure he was. Though I'm not 100% sure since he came off as pretty serious facial-wise, but he cracked up after it seemed to be done (didn't watch the full 4 minutes, I'm referring to the 'did you like the first robocop' question).

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Huh. This exact mistake has happened once before. Except that it was in a Ricky Gervais sitcom called Extras :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gR81gKiKXoE#t=57

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
GrinningCat said:
According to the apology made by Rubin, he was actually referring to the Captain America ad which had also played during the Superbowl, which did have Jackson in it. ...but barely... He went on to say that he didn't correct Samuel because he had gotten so embarrassed in the moment.

?We start right now with the beauty and the occasional pain of live television. First and foremost, I do know who Samuel L. Jackson is. I?ve interviewed him several times over the years, but never quite like the conversation we just had.

?I indicated to Samuel that I?d seen him during the Super Bowl, and he thought that I had confused him with the commercial Laurence Fishburne had done for a car company. Of course a ?Captain America? ad had also run during the Super Bowl, but I immediately felt so dumb, I didn?t bring that up ? and he gave me the shellacking that was well deserved.

?I pride myself on the fact ? that unlike a lot of people who do this kind of work ? more often than not, I really do know what I?m talking about. But I didn?t 30 minutes ago, and I?m really embarrassed about it, and I very much apologize to Samuel L. Jackson and anyone else who was offended for what was a very amateur mistake.?

http://ktla.com/2014/02/10/ktlas-sam-rubin-apologizes-to-samuel-l-jackson-after-laurence-fishburne-mix-up/#ixzz2sxWc3mRV
Yeah, there was even a moment right at the beginning of the video where the Captain America ad was playing. A fragment of it anyway.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
TheSYLOH said:
Woo Christopher Judge! I personally used to always get Fishburne mixed up with James Earl Jones, both having the "deep voiced guy" thing down pat.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
TiberiusEsuriens said:
TheSYLOH said:
Woo Christopher Judge! I personally used to always get Fishburne mixed up with James Earl Jones, both having the "deep voiced guy" thing down pat.
Ving Rhames and Chi Mcbride for me on the dark end of the spectrum. Almost all men in general of all races, but that's an actual psychological problem, I am face blind. Moreso to men than women, but many women too. >< So give me two similar voices and body shapes, and I fail badly.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I would have more respect for Samuel Jackson in this situation if he did not go straight to playing the race card. Just because he made a mistake (unless what the reporter said was true) does not automatically mean he thinks all black people look alike. Its a really shallow assumption to make and somewhat racist in itself. If anyone race other than a white reporter had made that mistake he would not be accusing him of thinking all black people look alike.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
So let me get this straight... Sam Jackson goes nuts and immediately gets offended and thinks the guy is being racist, but everyone finds that perfectly normal behavior, chuckelworthy even? When in fact the guy wasn't.

-_-