Samuel L. Jackson Strikes Nine Picture Deal with Marvel

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Samuel L. Jackson Strikes Nine Picture Deal with Marvel

Though once thought to be in jeopardy, Jackson will indeed be playing the role of S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury across the Marvel film universe.

Stan Lee may be the king of Marvel movie Iron Man [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0NsKFJ6gE]. Not only was it a case of perfect casting (Jackson being the model for Fury in the Ultimate universe), but it was a dog whistle to long-time comic book fans that yes, Marvel is indeed interested in pulling all its films into the same universe.

The Avengers [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i57845f198f95ed93c4667e6a026a4c6b], along with the possibility of future films including top billing in a S.H.I.E.L.D. movie currently in development.

Though it was only a month ago that a deal of this magnitude thought to be impossible, as Jackson was reported in the media to be quite upset at the lack of deal in place for Iron Man 2.

"There was a huge kind of negotiation that broke down," Jackson told the Los Angeles Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/01/nick-fury-no-mo.html]. "I don't know. Maybe I won't be Nick Fury. Maybe somebody else will be Nick Fury or maybe Nick Fury won't be in it. There seems to be an economic crisis in the Marvel Comics world so [they're saying to me], 'We're not making that deal."

Luckily for fans of the movies, it sounds as though Marvel decided to pony up to ensure Jackson's place in the franchises.

the captain

Nov 20, 2008
Samuel L. Jackson took the role of Angry Black Man to new levels. Seems like he only has the one volume setting on his voice, and he made a career out of it. But, then again he's got alot of reasons to be angry. He had his arm cut off, he was eaten by a shark, he had to spend an entire movie hanging out with Bruce Willis, and there was that one time that he was stuck with all those mother fucking snakes on that mother fucking plane!!!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Hopefully they follow more ultimate marvel source material and less original marvel source material.

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
avidabey said:
I predict I will be sick of godddamn Samuel Jackson by the end of it all.

Oh, who am I kidding? Samuel L. Jackson is the boss, I will never get tired of him, this is awesome news.
Yes. Yes this news is most awesome

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
For a moment there I thought u meant these Avengers

:D
Those Avengers own.

Pride of Britain mate, pride of Britain.

Also there is no such news as bad news involving Sam Jackson, I look forward to him in these next films, but nine? Jesus man that is a great deal.

Khell_Sennet said:
Wait. Isn't Sammy-L already in every movie made since 1990 anyways? Damn well seems like it.

My biggest piss-off is they're changing the actor for War Machine, that they are actually doing a Sub Mariner movie, and that Thor will not be nearly as Viking as it should. How Samuel fits into all those films, ???
Cripes they're doing a Sub Mariner movie? It's not even like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel just yet, that's unnecessary.

And it was obvious that they would probably go for Ultimate version Thor, than clean cut goody goody Viking like Thor, this industry now has a habit of going for darker characters at every turn, something I think isn't the best of choices.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
How does Samuel fits into all those films, ???
You really should read the ultimates. It features the line "Hulk not sissy boy... HULK STRAIGHT!"

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
Good for the canon I guess. Still, I like Stan Lee's appearances more as you usually don't see them coming, like Bruce Campbell in the Spider-Man films. Still, it'll be nice to not have to worry about Samuel L Jackson using the James Bond patented face changer.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Great news, Sam is the only one qualified to play Fury in any Marvel film, and yes, I remember David Hasselhoff in the 80s flick Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Also of note, the Green Lantern film has received the green light (pun intended!) and is set for release on December 17th.....

Feb 13, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Cousin_IT said:
Those Avengers own.

Totally. But the movie blows goats.

I'm surprised that no-one's noticed the one role SLJ is born to play. Luke Cage, Power Man.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
God. I hope there are no sharks in these movies.

Oh, and needs more John Travolta. Pulp Fiction was one of my favorite movies.

Obviously, I got pretty hyped when I saw him at the movie credits.

killme

Jun 18, 2008
hang on.. i watched iron man last night (coincidence.. or is it??) and i'll be buggered with a cactus if i remember mr l. jackson being in it..

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm surprised that no-one's noticed the one role SLJ is born to play. Luke Cage, Power Man.
That he would, but I'm guessing that if they need Luke Cage, they'll just use Michael Clarke Duncan.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
This is pretty awesome. I can't wait for some of these movies to come out.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Cousin_IT said:
Those Avengers own.

Totally. But the movie blows goats.

Sweet Jesus I didn't even know. Okay maybe that's a bit far, and didn't they say that Tyrese Gibson supposed to be Luke Cage? I think that's a bit much that they have to make Sam L play every black fellow in Marvel.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Volucer said:
That he would, but I'm guessing that if they need Luke Cage, they'll just use Michael Clarke Duncan.
That's what I thought, or Ving Rhames, though I think Clarke Duncan could do a better job.