Samurai Jack - Battle Through Time

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
One of the best shows of the early 2000s gets a game in the vain of Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. Ironic, because the game is made by ex-Ninja Gaiden developers and it shows. Game is looking great. Hopefully it can come out in August or September.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks like Ryu's going to be jealous...

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Dunno if I really like the look of it, both visually and in terms of gameplay. Seems too platic-y. I feel like a cel-shaded art direction would've looked better. The environments are nice at least. The gameplay and the animations in general look sluggish.

Hope it's good either way, it's nice to see Jack get the attention he deserves after his disappearance back in the day

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks like Ryu's going to be jealous...
Team Ninja/KT does not know what to do with Ninja Gaiden or DOA anymore? They definitely need to step their game up, because most of their talent either left or got fired. Because Bayo, DMC, God of War 4, and many others have been beyond kicking their asses.

Dunno if I really like the look of it, both visually and in terms of gameplay. Seems too platic-y. I feel like a cel-shaded art direction would've looked better. The environments are nice at least. The gameplay and the animations in general look sluggish.

Hope it's good either way, it's nice to see Jack get the attention he deserves after his disappearance back in the day
There is some obvious jank I hope they can fix by the time of release. I willing to let some of it slide, because I am happy to see Jack get his due in game form. Cel-shading should have been an option, but I will not fret over the art style we have now.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don’t get the hype behind Samurai Jack. Like I really don’t. But as a game it’s faced paced, colourful with a unique aesthetic so it’s got all that good shit going for it. Looks very cool.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don’t get the hype behind Samurai Jack. Like I really don’t.
I assuming you're around the same age as me but you're probably older. Samurai Jack was big deal and is still is as the show left a huge influence on Western animation that can still be seen today. There were no shows like it, other than certain Japanese anime, but from the West, it got a lot right or did something new. There episodes that convey, feelings, atmosphere, or tone without a single line of dialogue. Sometimes from up to 9 minutes or throughout the run time of some episodes. The animation style was unique, as it was one of the first to not have thick black line or outline animation style. Gennedy was influenced by both Western media and Japanese media (live action and anime) and it shows. Those same influences showed up other shows Gennedy had worked on: Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls. Even the Japanese love Samurai Jack.

Check at 4:40 for Phil's input and perspective.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I assuming you're around the same age as me but you're probably older. Samurai Jack was big deal and is still is as the show left a huge influence on Western animation that can still be seen today. There were no shows like it, other than certain Japanese anime, but from the West, it got a lot right or did something new. There episodes that convey, feelings, atmosphere, or tone without a single line of dialogue. Sometimes from up to 9 minutes or throughout the run time of some episodes. The animation style was unique, as it was one of the first to not have thick black line or outline animation style. Gennedy was influenced by both Western media and Japanese media (live action and anime) and it shows. Those same influences showed up other shows Gennedy had worked on: Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls. Even the Japanese love Samurai Jack.

Check at 4:40 for Phil's input and perspective.
I’m an ‘86 kid. I’ll fully admit I’ve only seen like five episodes of the show - and in the show’s favour, the one where Jack ends up with Leonidas and the Spartans against Robo-Persians was pretty sweet - but I’m pretty sure the DCAU was kicking off at the time and that was more my speed. With a sneaky little affair with Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 once a week.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I watched all of Samurai Jack on Blu-ray from 2018 and 2019. So many great episodes. Kind of wanna watch some of them again, but I'll probably wait a few more years.

Probably not getting this. Samurai Jack is cinema.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’m an ‘86 kid. I’ll fully admit I’ve only seen like five episodes of the show - and in the show’s favour, the one where Jack ends up with Leonidas and the Spartans against Robo-Persians was pretty sweet - but I’m pretty sure the DCAU was kicking off at the time and that was more my speed. With a sneaky little affair with Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 once a week.
Born in '89, with an older brother born in '84. I made time for most animated shows on CN at the time. Bubblegum Crisis I did not see until after high school. I knew some kids that were into, but they were in love with the original version and not the 2040 reboot. Not to say they hated it, but they rarely talked about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Definitely noticing the Ninja Gaiden influences. Same former developers, so no duh. The game is looking like Samurai Jack: Ninja Gaiden II Edition. Fine by me.