Sandman Creator Recreates Labyrinth for Christmas

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sandman Creator Recreates Labyrinth for Christmas

Neil Gaiman plays the part of the Goblin King in a humourous holiday video, although thankfully, doesn't try and replicate the overly tight wardrobe.

The man behind the award winning Sandman [http://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Vol-Preludes-Nocturnes-New/dp/1401225756/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293489994&sr=8-1] comics, Neil Gaiman, has teamed up with partner, Amanda Palmer, and a few of their friends to parody the cult 1986 Jim Henson movie Laybrinth [http://www.amazon.com/Labyrinth-David-Bowie/dp/B00000K3D4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293488784&sr=8-1 ].

For those who haven't seen the movie - which is worth watching, if only for the cool puppets - Sarah, played by a very young Jennifer Connelly, wishes that goblins would come and take her baby brother Toby away. Naturally, she's more than a little surprised when the goblins - led by their king, Jareth - actually turn up and claim him.

Sarah pleads with the goblins to give her back the child, so the King, played by David Bowie, sporting a mullet and some terribly tight tights, makes Sarah a deal. If she can reach the center of his labyrinth within 13 hours, she can have her brother back. If she fails, however, the baby becomes a goblin forever.

The parody video recreates Sarah fateful first steps into the maze, where a helpful worm showed her that she couldn't make assumptions about the labyrinth, and had to look at things without preconceptions. Gaiman's version is a teensy bit shorter, as the kindly worm is replaced with a villainous sock puppet, who leads Sarah to a rather messy end.

It's always nice to discover that someone whose work you admire also has a sense of humor and isn't afraid to make themselves look silly occasionally. I'm actually hoping this becomes a Gaiman/Palmer holiday tradition, as there are plenty of movies that could be enhanced through the use of villainous sock puppets.

Source: Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/neilhimself/status/18883329478627328]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
As soon as she started to talk I checked out. There's something about that whiny pouty voice that turns me off to a movie and its plot/characters.

But (Edit for grammar) having seen the original Laybrinth this is actually quite funny.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Pretty awesome! ;D I'm reading Neil Gaiman atm, so this is pretty cool. :D

Feb 13, 2008
Neil Gaiman is a God amongst men. A Dream, if you will.

And Labyrinth is a must see film...whether for David's tights or Jennifer's jeans.

Yes...Ok...But still...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
My only question is how Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer could stay on the same room without it exploding from sheer awesomeness. I suppose finger puppets are the only dampener powerful enough to prevent that.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Sober Thal said:
I want that 3:42 back!! That was horrible, and why does she have her mouth hanging open the whole time? I guess the humor in this is just lost on me.
Well.. thats why its a parody? I suggest seeing the actual Labyrinth. If you have, and you are still lost, then ... sorry? Your loss. I found it quite hilarious.

OT: Best moment: When Gaiman attempts to palm the 'fushigi balls' and they end up shattering (lawl xmas ornaments), and he grumbles "Bugger it"

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Tehlanna TPX said:
Sober Thal said:
I want that 3:42 back!! That was horrible, and why does she have her mouth hanging open the whole time? I guess the humor in this is just lost on me.
Well.. thats why its a parody? I suggest seeing the actual Labyrinth. If you have, and you are still lost, then ... sorry? Your loss. I found it quite hilarious.

OT: Best moment: When Gaiman attempts to palm the 'fushigi balls' and they end up shattering (lawl xmas ornaments), and he grumbles "Bugger it"
They're properly known as 'contact balls', the whole fushigi thing is just some corporate bullshit :) Check out Michael Moschen for how it's really done, he in fact did the contact juggling in the film.

Anyone think she looks like the woman from Longest Journey?

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
new_age_reject said:
They're properly known as 'contact balls', the whole fushigi thing is just some corporate bullshit :) Check out Michael Moschen for how it's really done, he in fact did the contact juggling in the film.

Ahh. Thanks :) Had no idea what the proper term was. I'll have to check that out.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Tehlanna TPX said:
new_age_reject said:

Ahh. Thanks :) Had no idea what the proper term was. I'll have to check that out.
No problem, it's a little bug of mine the whole fushigi thing so I try and point people in the right direction where I can :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U8fTAHxjdo
Great little vid there about how they did it all within the film.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
That was... eh... I can't believe I'd say this about something featuring The Incredible Neil Gaiman and the only slightly less incredible Amanda, but it's a bit crap.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Neil Gaiman is a God amongst men. A Dream, if you will.

And Labyrinth is a must see film...whether for David's tights or Jennifer's jeans.

Yes...Ok...But still...
So it wasn't only me... >.>

My younger brother borrowed that movie from a friend and by god it was a good choice! David Bowie is awesome in the film and so is the landscape.

Sir Didymus for the win anyone?
Commenting the video, looks alright and less 'hauntingly terrifying.'

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
The Random One said:
My only question is how Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer could stay on the same room without it exploding from sheer awesomeness. I suppose finger puppets are the only dampener powerful enough to prevent that.
A question I ask myself time and time again too, but you do know that they are a couple, yes? So unless they permanently have finger puppets hanging around, they have to have some other way of preventing awesomeness-induced explosions.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
I have no idea which is cooler. The fact that the insanely brilliant Gaiman is doing this; the fact that his insanely attractive wife is on on the act; or the fact that it's hilarious!! Palmer's faces are so damn funny!

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
Also loving the fact the video was shot in Edinburgh, home of the Gods :)
Great little parody, this was one of my favourite childhood films.