Sandworm Battles Reaper in New Mass Effect 3 Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sandworm Battles Reaper in New Mass Effect 3 Trailer

Shepard gets help with his Reaper problem from an unexpected quarter.

If you've ever had to fight a giant robot - and I'd imagine that many of you have - chances are you'd have liked to be able to even the score a little. Sometimes that means getting a giant robot of your own and other times it means enlisting the help of giant desert worms with a taste for ancient space metal.

In the new trailer for Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323633944&sr=8-2], Shepard and his team are squaring off against a Reaper. There's not a great deal that Shepard can do to stop his enormous foe, not until an equally enormous stroke of luck comes his way in the guise of a gargantuan worm-like desert monster. While this is probably just some fauna indigenous to the planet that Shepard is on, I've got my fingers crossed that it's the first joint operation of the newly forged Human/Sandworm alliance.

There's not a huge amount more that you can glean from the trailer, other than the fact that Shepard can actually run now and that BioWare has some suitably grand setpieces planned for the final game in the trilogy.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/10/mass-effect-3-trailer-sees-shepard-get-a-little-help-from-wormy/]

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
The giant thresher maw of Tuchanka, aaaawwwwwee yeeeeeaaaaah! When I 1st read about this part, I was pleased to see the amount of forethought that was put into the Cerberus daily news updates. I wonder what other things they will bring up?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hmm giant sandworms attacking on the orders of Shepard, all thats needed now is some Fremen allies and some mind altering drugs. Coming soon Dune Effect 3. Dam Ninjaed

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Listen, I took down a Thresher Maw with a Collector Particle Cannon. I don't think that Reaper will have too much trouble.

*watches video*

Or.... not. Thatt was sweet O_O

Apr 28, 2008
"A giant worm?!

They're sinking Jacinto with a giant worm?!"

Hehe, sorry. Some other guy in the forum thread about this said that. Can't remember his name, too lazy to check. Made me laugh.

Anyway, yeah, it's a big epic showdown and all that. Whoopie. You know, I worry about the industries fascination with big setpieces. What with every game having them and all tried to be huge and epic, I wonder if they'll be done so much that the overall "epicness" will forever be reduced.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
That "Sandworm" is a Thresher Maw. They appeared in the last two games.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
and other times it means enlisting the help of giant desert worms with a test for ancient space metal.
I didn't understand this. Did you mean "taste for ancient space metal"?

And yes, I'm quite glad that Shepard can run for more than 5 seconds. Hell, I'm not in the best shape and I bet that even I could run for 5 seconds in his armor.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
SeriousIssues said:
...I do not like the sound effects.
They remind of cheap SciFi movies and dentist offices.
I dunno, the "Niko Bellic hitting a light pole with a sedan at 5mph" sound it made when a hundred-ton creature smacked into a thousand-ton robot was pretty cute.

May 5, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
...other than the fact that Shepard can actually run now...
Wait, what? What does that mean? These games have always had a "sprint" function....

Anyway, other then the awesomeness of a Reaper fighting a Thresher Maw, I'm also happy to see they've changed the health bar a little, as ME2's was pretty much useless, particularly in regard to teammates.

I mean, I have no idea if they've FIXED that problem, but it looks like they've done SOMETHING, so...I'm pretty optimistic about this. It looks like they're fixing a lot of ME2's problems.

Still stuck with that damn ammo clip system, though. But that's not a big deal.

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
I know a lot of people say that it is becoming a Gears of War game, but I never really considered Mass Effect a good game gameplay-wise to begin with, I just want to know how the story ends, and preferably while lots of things explode. If the combat gets more fun, that's great, but they shouldn't really focus on showing off the combat, when it's not the main thing people care about. Really, the only thing I am sincerely hoping for is that they don't rush the ending. That's all I have to say about this video, and the Mass Effect franchise in general.

And maybe a little trailer like ME2's Launch trailer. That won't hurt either.

Paladin Anderson

Nov 21, 2011
That was EPIC. For the first time I'm excited for this game!

EA still isn't getting a dime from me though. I'll buy it used.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that Shepard being able to survive against a Reaper on foot is a little bit absurd? I mean, granted, this one was much smaller than Sovereign and Shepard's done a lot of crazy things, but this kind of tops it.

Looks cool at least though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well it certainly appears as if me3 is going the spectacle shooter route.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Worgen said:
i say wait till its out then you can judge. they cant show any of the story because if they do it ruins the game so relax combats all they can show atm.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Worgen said:
Maybe it's a sidequest.

Also, it looks like it might be Instant Game Over if you go the wrong way. Of course, I'm just guessing, who knows.