Sandworm Battles Reaper in New Mass Effect 3 Trailer

Escad

Apr 27, 2010
Looks pretty cool I suppose.

My only real feedback is that I wish they went back to the cooldown ammo system, instead of standard ammunition. I was very disappointed with Mass Effect 2's change in ammo, and it looks like the third is sticking with it. Oh well, I'll still play and probably love it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I killed Tuchanka's Thresher Maw... I wonder if it has any repercutions in ME3... unless it's simply another one.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
I killed Tuchanka's Thresher Maw... I wonder if it has any repercutions in ME3... unless it's simply another one.
this is its daddy.:p

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Huge surprise: Garris is back
[/sarcasm]

Looks like they are at least making the interface a little more detailed from ME2.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Paladin Anderson said:
That was EPIC. For the first time I'm excited for this game!

EA still isn't getting a dime from me though. I'll buy it used.
I know EA will get a huge cut from this but poor sales will effect Bioware more in the long run. I love Bioware's games and I shall continue to support them, sadly I must consider the money grabbing publisher to be a necessary evil in this case.

OT: Wow, nice to see the old Thresher Maws actually making themselves useful for a change, instead of popping up randomly and destroying my Mako. Looks like this game is going to be epic, with the whole united-assault-on-the-Reapers thing that's going down.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Sandworm: you damn kids get off my lawn! This here's my patch of dirt, go git your own!
I don't know why but I feel like sandworms should be "good ol' boys"

I enjoyed it. Still refuse to pick it up.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Can I make a Shepherd with blue eyes and short blond hair?

On topic: Too much action. I know you're itching to get your Return of the Jedi on, Bioware, but please remember that not all of part 3 should be run-and-gun action. Give me some political maneuvering in the teeth of destruction; some rallying the masses; some touching personal asides that bring depth and flavor to the mix; some desperate flights from lost battles; some hiding in a tent in the wilderness. Don't play this one straight, sirs - make an ending worthy of Mass Effect 1 and 2, not just the combat half-and-a-half of ME2.

Oh, and stop courting the CoD jocks. They weren't with you from day one (technically day 180 or more, thanks to your xbox focus) like we were; they don't deserve your attention. They won't appreciate your universe or your codex; your characters, both good and ill, will mean nothing to them. They will treat your game like yet another shooter - play the campaign, perhaps; but mostly just play multiplayer until it gets boring and they move on. In the words of a very old book, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
So, if you're a Survivor origin, after the fight you get a conversation with the Thresher Maw, with the three following options:

-Thanks for the help, there.
-I didn't need your help.
-YOU KILLED MY SQUAD!!!

Should you select the Renegade option, you then punch it in the face.

Spiritofpower

Aug 29, 2011
What i'm most excited about is that wrist-blade thingy at the end. If that' a weapon, I will be very happy.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
omicron1 said:
Can I make a Shepherd with blue eyes and short blond hair?

On topic: Too much action. I know you're itching to get your Return of the Jedi on, Bioware, but please remember that not all of part 3 should be run-and-gun action. Give me some political maneuvering in the teeth of destruction; some rallying the masses; some touching personal asides that bring depth and flavor to the mix; some desperate flights from lost battles; some hiding in a tent in the wilderness. Don't play this one straight, sirs - make an ending worthy of Mass Effect 1 and 2, not just the combat half-and-a-half of ME2.

Oh, and stop courting the CoD jocks. They weren't with you from day one (technically day 180 or more, thanks to your xbox focus) like we were; they don't deserve your attention. They won't appreciate your universe or your codex; your characters, both good and ill, will mean nothing to them. They will treat your game like yet another shooter - play the campaign, perhaps; but mostly just play multiplayer until it gets boring and they move on. In the words of a very old book, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."
Putting the smug hyperbole aside for the sake of my sanity, as someone on this thread has already said, they can't show much in the way of story details in the trailers without spoiling it. It will still all be there, because that's what Mass Effect is about above all, and they have in the past shown us how they put a bit more depth back into the stats and upgrades, as well as alluding to some pretty heavy stuff with the story (Mordin and the Genophage cure, Quarian vs Geth conflict etc.) so we already know it's not going to just be all about "run and gun action". It's just that they've said all they want to say right now on the story, and that the combat parts inevitably make for the best trailers. Think about it, Skyrim is a way heavier RPG than Mass Effect was ever meant to be, but did they make trailers all about catching/cooking your food and training up your blacksmithing skills? Did they reveal any crucial story events? No, they made trailers about you killing Dragons.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
...other than the fact that Shepard can actually run now...
Wait, what? What does that mean? These games have always had a "sprint" function....
In the first one you could sprint for like a second before having to wait a minute for it to recharge.
Maybe it's because the armor might be an exo-skeleton that requires a lot of energy for a boost like that. And only recent technological advances allowed Shephard to get armor that can run longer.

Or they stopped hogging the fundings on army when the army is actually extremely useful now. It's like this - when there's peace, arms business doesn't grow. During wars, you keep getting new inventions and technologies.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Well its official. Shepard needs to get Godzilla on his side as a squad mate. He could take those reapers easily.

Mar 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
There's not a huge amount more that you can glean from the trailer, other than the fact that Shepard can actually run now...
Can he what! It's much better than that casual jog he usually does and is even faster than his storming option.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, that looked awnsome. For some reason, my little black heart got some energy from dark space and suddently I´m excited for Mass Effect 3 again. Getting the N7 edition for summer.

Of course, I hope they improved the RPG elements and the story is cool, but I really didn´t expect them to make a story trailer. Why? Because when they tried it in ME2 (that thing about Sheppard dying), people bitched like hell. You can´t expect someone to bring you a muffin after you bitted their hand and trew a rock at their faces.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, have you played Mass Effect? Like at all? It´s a Thresher Maw. You have to fight it in Mass Effect 2. They even say his name. Twice.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Putting the smug hyperbole aside for the sake of my sanity, as someone on this thread has already said, they can't show much in the way of story details in the trailers without spoiling it. It will still all be there, because that's what Mass Effect is about above all, and they have in the past shown us how they put a bit more depth back into the stats and upgrades, as well as alluding to some pretty heavy stuff with the story (Mordin and the Genophage cure, Quarian vs Geth conflict etc.) so we already know it's not going to just be all about "run and gun action". It's just that they've said all they want to say right now on the story, and that the combat parts inevitably make for the best trailers. Think about it, Skyrim is a way heavier RPG than Mass Effect was ever meant to be, but did they make trailers all about catching/cooking your food and training up your blacksmithing skills? Did they reveal any crucial story events? No, they made trailers about you killing Dragons.
And trailers about the lore. And at least one trailer that showcased nothing but the environments.

Please recall the Mass Effect 1 and 2 trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCpK2XnIaeI&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5LB9n--fB8&feature=fvst (for a start)

What do we have? Movie-style trailers. Characters. Locations. Almost spoilers. A scene of a space-car. They were beautiful things. The kind of trailer you'd expect from a Star Wars or a Star Trek.

For Mass Effect 3, we have "The reapers are here" panning shots (with new soldier-boy front and centre) and "Mega Worm VS. Giant Squid." Plus a few gameplay snippets and screenshots of blokes shooting metal blokes. Action moments all. More than anything, they remind me of a Michael Bay movie.

No offense, Bioware, but I don't care how your game plays. That's a known quantity. I don't care how many guns you have, or how many co-op missions you put in. I want to be hyped up about the story for more reasons than just "finish the fight." And right now, you're not doing that - which worries me more than a bit.