Sandworm Battles Reaper in New Mass Effect 3 Trailer

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
omicron1 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Putting the smug hyperbole aside for the sake of my sanity, as someone on this thread has already said, they can't show much in the way of story details in the trailers without spoiling it. It will still all be there, because that's what Mass Effect is about above all, and they have in the past shown us how they put a bit more depth back into the stats and upgrades, as well as alluding to some pretty heavy stuff with the story (Mordin and the Genophage cure, Quarian vs Geth conflict etc.) so we already know it's not going to just be all about "run and gun action". It's just that they've said all they want to say right now on the story, and that the combat parts inevitably make for the best trailers. Think about it, Skyrim is a way heavier RPG than Mass Effect was ever meant to be, but did they make trailers all about catching/cooking your food and training up your blacksmithing skills? Did they reveal any crucial story events? No, they made trailers about you killing Dragons.
And trailers about the lore. And at least one trailer that showcased nothing but the environments.

Please recall the Mass Effect 1 and 2 trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCpK2XnIaeI&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5LB9n--fB8&feature=fvst (for a start)

What do we have? Movie-style trailers. Characters. Locations. Almost spoilers. A scene of a space-car. They were beautiful things. The kind of trailer you'd expect from a Star Wars or a Star Trek.

For Mass Effect 3, we have "The reapers are here" panning shots (with new soldier-boy front and centre) and "Mega Worm VS. Giant Squid." Plus a few gameplay snippets and screenshots of blokes shooting metal blokes. Action moments all. More than anything, they remind me of a Michael Bay movie.

No offense, Bioware, but I don't care how your game plays. That's a known quantity. I don't care how many guns you have, or how many co-op missions you put in. I want to be hyped up about the story for more reasons than just "finish the fight." And right now, you're not doing that - which worries me more than a bit.
Why would you put the story in a trailer one it makes for boring as hell trailer and two to get anything worth while from it you have to spoil part of the story

OT Well I guess this proves my theory that your average reaper is no where near as though as sovereign so yeah I'm pretty happy with this

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
There are sand worms left? I figured they would all be gone by now due to the asari's love of red sand, you know, the spice.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Please do continue showing us your "amazing" set pieces Bioware, that's totally what RPG players want from an RPG.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
omicron1 said:
Can I make a Shepherd with blue eyes and short blond hair?

On topic: Too much action. I know you're itching to get your Return of the Jedi on, Bioware, but please remember that not all of part 3 should be run-and-gun action. Give me some political maneuvering in the teeth of destruction; some rallying the masses; some touching personal asides that bring depth and flavor to the mix; some desperate flights from lost battles; some hiding in a tent in the wilderness. Don't play this one straight, sirs - make an ending worthy of Mass Effect 1 and 2, not just the combat half-and-a-half of ME2.

Oh, and stop courting the CoD jocks. They weren't with you from day one (technically day 180 or more, thanks to your xbox focus) like we were; they don't deserve your attention. They won't appreciate your universe or your codex; your characters, both good and ill, will mean nothing to them. They will treat your game like yet another shooter - play the campaign, perhaps; but mostly just play multiplayer until it gets boring and they move on. In the words of a very old book, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."
Putting the smug hyperbole aside for the sake of my sanity, as someone on this thread has already said, they can't show much in the way of story details in the trailers without spoiling it. It will still all be there, because that's what Mass Effect is about above all, and they have in the past shown us how they put a bit more depth back into the stats and upgrades, as well as alluding to some pretty heavy stuff with the story (Mordin and the Genophage cure, Quarian vs Geth conflict etc.) so we already know it's not going to just be all about "run and gun action". It's just that they've said all they want to say right now on the story, and that the combat parts inevitably make for the best trailers. Think about it, Skyrim is a way heavier RPG than Mass Effect was ever meant to be, but did they make trailers all about catching/cooking your food and training up your blacksmithing skills? Did they reveal any crucial story events? No, they made trailers about you killing Dragons.
What? Logic? No way man! I want to trailers where they're perusing the menus and leveling up! That's where the real excitement is!

In all seriousness though, people just want an excuse to declare Mass Effect the worst thing ever or ruined forever. It's popular to hate it I guess?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
Please do continue showing us your "amazing" set pieces Bioware, that's totally what RPG players want from an RPG.
As opposed to all those not set pieces in TES games? Or the Fallout games? Or Dragon Age? Or KOTOR?

Do you even play RPGs?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Is it just me, or is that Thresher Maw WAY bigger than the ones in previous games? They were big, but nowhere near that big.

Is it... an Ultra Thresher Maw?

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
omicron1 said:
And trailers about the lore. And at least one trailer that showcased nothing but the environments.

Please recall the Mass Effect 1 and 2 trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCpK2XnIaeI&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5LB9n--fB8&feature=fvst (for a start)

What do we have? Movie-style trailers. Characters. Locations. Almost spoilers. A scene of a space-car. They were beautiful things. The kind of trailer you'd expect from a Star Wars or a Star Trek.

For Mass Effect 3, we have "The reapers are here" panning shots (with new soldier-boy front and centre) and "Mega Worm VS. Giant Squid." Plus a few gameplay snippets and screenshots of blokes shooting metal blokes. Action moments all. More than anything, they remind me of a Michael Bay movie.

No offense, Bioware, but I don't care how your game plays. That's a known quantity. I don't care how many guns you have, or how many co-op missions you put in. I want to be hyped up about the story for more reasons than just "finish the fight." And right now, you're not doing that - which worries me more than a bit.
But you are finishing the fight...that's the whole point of this game...

As a person who is also looking forward to the story of this game and with what Bioware has done trailer wise in the past (launch trailer of ME2 being the only reason I picked up a Mass Effect game) I can understand your frustration. But I don't think we need to have this ire against Bioware just yet, I think Bioware is trying to do a damage control/capture new player interest with these trailers and by that I mean with the early version of the story being leaked online if they had any trailers that were based on that people would be in uproar (especially those who read the leak, I didn't but I know many did) and you can't really blame a company for trying to attract a new audience

I think people are getting WAY to worked up about this trailer, everyone seems to forget that there really wasn't a big announcement of there being any Mass Effect 3 footage at the VGA's (unless I missed something) It's a nice, short, action packed, trailer. We get a single and multiplayer demo next month and their will probably be a big media blast with that as well. No need to send Bioware to the gallows just yet

boag

Sep 13, 2010
welp, guess those leaks were true.

Im not sure how I feel about it.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
As opposed to all those not set pieces in TES games? Or the Fallout games? Or Dragon Age? Or KOTOR?

Do you even play RPGs?
At the very least Bethesda managed to balance everything in order to form a coherent presentation for the game. They presented the story, the gameplay, the skill progression system etc. What has ME3 shown us apart from Michael Bay-esque "gameplay" videos?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
Frostbite3789 said:

Do you even play RPGs?
At the very least Bethesda managed to balance everything in order to form a coherent presentation for the game. They presented the story, the gameplay, the skill progression system etc. What has ME3 shown us apart from Michael Bay-esque "gameplay" videos?
Show me a marquee Skyrim trailer that wasn't about combat. Go ahead.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
In terms of gameplay this awesome sequence required you to run forward. I know there will be more to this game but i hate it when a really cool set piece is essentially "press w" or "hold forward on the gamepad".

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
...other than the fact that Shepard can actually run now...
Wait, what? What does that mean? These games have always had a "sprint" function....

Anyway, other then the awesomeness of a Reaper fighting a Thresher Maw, I'm also happy to see they've changed the health bar a little, as ME2's was pretty much useless, particularly in regard to teammates.

I mean, I have no idea if they've FIXED that problem, but it looks like they've done SOMETHING, so...I'm pretty optimistic about this. It looks like they're fixing a lot of ME2's problems.

Still stuck with that damn ammo clip system, though. But that's not a big deal.
The sprint function in ME1 was leagues ahead of the sprint in ME2.

Also, Thresher Maw, not giant sandworm. They are not indigenous to any one planet (not that we know of yet), and can be found on planets of all climates.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Show me a marquee Skyrim trailer that wasn't about combat. Go ahead.
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSL-r9AIEEU
Random gameplay video from source I've never heard of within two months of release != marquee trailer.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I don't really care about the previews...So long as it doesn't turn-out like DA2 then I'm cool.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Random gameplay video from source I've never heard of within two months of release != marquee trailer.
That's the gameplay trailer shown at E3.
And the amount of hype that generated from me is... approximately 0. And I've enjoyed Skyrim so far. And I enjoyed Oblivion (kind of) before that. And Morrowind (completely) before that.