Sandworm Battles Reaper in New Mass Effect 3 Trailer

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
Frostbite3789 said:
So you agree with me that Mass Effect 3's trailers are disappointing? Great, glad we came to an understanding.
Quite the opposite, but if you really need me to agree with you so you can sleep at night, it's cool to think that.

Oct 30, 2010
Setting aside whether it conveys anything meaningful about the game, that trailer does very little to get me hype in a "300/Sucker Punch" way either.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
[

Quite the opposite, but if you really need me to agree with you so you can sleep at night, it's cool to think that.
No worries, I'm used to people not admitting they're wrong when they've been proven otherwise.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Jesus Christ its just a set piece trailer. You'd think Bioware had removed single player altogether to garner all the whining in this thread.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
It warms my heart to see that Thresher Maws are a pain in the ass for Reapers as well. There's a certain poetic justice there I love.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
omicron1 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Putting the smug hyperbole aside for the sake of my sanity, as someone on this thread has already said, they can't show much in the way of story details in the trailers without spoiling it. It will still all be there, because that's what Mass Effect is about above all, and they have in the past shown us how they put a bit more depth back into the stats and upgrades, as well as alluding to some pretty heavy stuff with the story (Mordin and the Genophage cure, Quarian vs Geth conflict etc.) so we already know it's not going to just be all about "run and gun action". It's just that they've said all they want to say right now on the story, and that the combat parts inevitably make for the best trailers. Think about it, Skyrim is a way heavier RPG than Mass Effect was ever meant to be, but did they make trailers all about catching/cooking your food and training up your blacksmithing skills? Did they reveal any crucial story events? No, they made trailers about you killing Dragons.
And trailers about the lore. And at least one trailer that showcased nothing but the environments.

Please recall the Mass Effect 1 and 2 trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCpK2XnIaeI&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5LB9n--fB8&feature=fvst (for a start)

What do we have? Movie-style trailers. Characters. Locations. Almost spoilers. A scene of a space-car. They were beautiful things. The kind of trailer you'd expect from a Star Wars or a Star Trek.

For Mass Effect 3, we have "The reapers are here" panning shots (with new soldier-boy front and centre) and "Mega Worm VS. Giant Squid." Plus a few gameplay snippets and screenshots of blokes shooting metal blokes. Action moments all. More than anything, they remind me of a Michael Bay movie.

No offense, Bioware, but I don't care how your game plays. That's a known quantity. I don't care how many guns you have, or how many co-op missions you put in. I want to be hyped up about the story for more reasons than just "finish the fight." And right now, you're not doing that - which worries me more than a bit.
The difference there is that the two trailers you just used as examples are of a completely different kind that the one being discussed right now. This isn't a heavily cinematic trailer meant to set the scene for the game. Those trailers for ME3 are probably going to come closer to the release date. This one is just a snippet of gameplay, and if they had chosen a snippet that involved an important conversation with a NPC, it wouldn't work. Half the viewers would be bored, because after 2 games, we know how the dialogue wheel works; and the other half would be pissed off for spoilers. In this sort of trailer you can only really go for combat and set pieces because you can show those things out of context and still have an exciting trailer.

Oh, and your two examples did use quite a lot of combat footage too. Just sayin'.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
I've got my fingers crossed that it's the first joint operation of the newly forged Human/Sandworm alliance.
Awesome, just like Alpha centauri!

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
So this special space ship monstrocity gets taken down by the space equivalent of a Rhino?

Really?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
He who controls the spice

CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE

I skipped ME2. I might have to boot the whole trilogy back up because this looks neato.

SamuelT said:
So this special space ship monstrocity gets taken down by the space equivalent of a Rhino?

Really?
A rhino can fuck up an SUV. They're pretty much the same size, just like worm and reaper, so this didn't bother me too terribly.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
My question, is that date shown is it an american date, or an english date? just so i know if i am to get excited for March or June.

May 5, 2010
SamuelT said:
So this special space ship monstrosity gets taken down by the space equivalent of a Rhino?

Really?
Uh...No. They were still fighting at the end of the trailer. No clear winner yet.

Just thought I'd point that out.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Is it just me, or is that Thresher Maw WAY bigger than the ones in previous games? They were big, but nowhere near that big.

Is it... an Ultra Thresher Maw?
no, its just the first time more than one 5th of a thresher maw's body has been shown.

also don't forget that reaper is one of the smaller ones
SupahGamuh said:
I killed Tuchanka's Thresher Maw... I wonder if it has any repercutions in ME3... unless it's simply another one.
its simply another one, the damn things can show up almost anywhere in the galaxy

Frostbite3789 said:
In all seriousness though, people just want an excuse to declare Mass Effect the worst thing ever or ruined forever. It's popular to hate it I guess?
nothing more than territorial nerds getting pissy because people outside their clique have the "audacity" to like the same stuff they like, so they try their hardest not to like it out of spite.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Hmm. well, lemme break it down.

I'm liking the faster sprinting.
The dodges looked nice, but I'll wait to see how they work, it does kinda remind me of GOW.
The setpiece kinda reminded me of lost planet, though if I don't get to actually fight some of these it'll be dissapointing.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Panorama said:
My question, is that date shown is it an american date, or an english date? just so i know if i am to get excited for March or June.
March 6, 2012. Be prepared.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Need Mass Effect 3 NOW! Waaah...

Anyone else wondering who the Krogan was? It sure didn't sound or look like either Grunt or Wrex.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Well looks like they have transitioned from shooter with pick and mix abilities to just straight out copying Gears Of War.

Nice work Bioware.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
My good sir...I get the impression you have not played any mass effect games...and for that I pity you a little...that worm is what is known as a thresher maw...they pop up at times in ME1 when traveling in your tank-like thing...then you have to survive five minutes with one in ME2...seriously...they were the most frightening fights I've played in both games (btw...not being a BIG sarcastic ass...just saying "play these games man...they be awesome")

On the video...thresher maw + reaper = FRICKIN AWESOME!!!! I was wondering if thats the same one you fight in ME2 considering that it is on Tuchanka and you summon it the same way...im sure there are more and they mention Wrex killed one...but I still wonder if just surviving and letting that one live or killing it affects the war...that would be crazy BioWare...throw one at us we wouldn't expect...just a thought