Sandworm Battles Reaper in New Mass Effect 3 Trailer

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
...other than the fact that Shepard can actually run now...
Wait, what? What does that mean? These games have always had a "sprint" function....
In the first one you could sprint for like a second before having to wait a minute for it to recharge.
Shepherd was a heavy smoker in the first game, so couldn't keep up. Thank goodness Tali got him those nicotine patches!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ghengis John said:
PunkRex said:
My team consists of Garrus and that Thresher Maw. BRING IT ON UNIVERSE!!!
Thresher Maw for squadmate.

I can see it now, in March: "So the trailer they put out last December showed that there's a Thresher Maw here, Can't wait to see it's Reaper rumble."

Later: "Hey, where's the thresher maw?!? The whole crew keeps dying on this part.... wait a minute... what planet are we on?"

*Checks Mass Effect 1 Save Game. Realizes he killed that Thresher Maw two games ago, thereby dooming the entire galaxy.*

Damn you, Biowaaaaaaaare!!!
In ME3 a reporter gives birth to a baby with super powers which is able to kill Reapers by looking at them enabling you to save the universe. Unless of course a certain captain punched a certain reporters womb out on two seperate occassions.

BIOWARE!!!

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Well, that's the first trailer for ME3 I've seen and...
Seriously looking forward to this now, it's a definite buy from me.
I just hope it doesn't go too over the top with the set-pieces (as awesome as they appear to be), as it was the characters that made me enjoy the second so much. Here's to hoping they don't sacrifice characterisation for explosions.
[sub]No, I haven't played the first one, with it being on the 360 and all.[/sub]

Ruagh

Nov 14, 2009
Look, to all the people complaining that Mass Effect has been turned into a COD or Gears clone, I just want to say:

We just saw about one and a half minutes of gameplay. Hell, taking into account all the footage Bioware has released so far, we've seen roughly ten minutes of this entire game.

I'm just saying it's a bit early to start condemning the game when we've seen so little of it thus far. I understand that you don't want to see Bioware fuck this up, but have some faith guys.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
...But... I was able to beat the Thresher Maw on Veteran with only two buddies and an itty bitty pistol... Why can't even an admittedly small Reaper do it?

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
If you put the video on mute and play some Pokemon battle music instead, you get what is possibly the most epic Pokemon battle of all time!

----

Reapers: "Go Giant-Reaper-Death-Drone! I choose you!"
Shepard: "Alright Caterpie! It's up to you now!"

Reapers: "Alright, start off with a Psybeam!" Giant-Reaper-Death-Drone used Psybeam!Caterpie took some damage!
Shepard: "Return the favor by tackleing it Caterpie!" Caterpie used Tackle! Giant-Reaper-Death-Drone took damage!
Reapers: "Counter that Tackle with a Body Slam!" Giant-Reaper-Death-Drone counters with Body Slam! Caterpie took a large amount of damage!
Shepard: "Quick Caterpie! Avoid more damage! Use Dig!" Caterpie used Dig! Caterpie dug itself underground!
Reapers: "Before it gets underground, use a Psybeam on it!" Giant-Reaper-Death-Drone uses Psybeam a second time! Its attack missed!
Shepard: "Alright Caterpie! Let's finish this guy off! Come back up and end this battle!" Caterpie used Dig! Critical hit!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
CalPal said:
DTWolfwood said:
Its one of those cases of the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu]. Apparently the Reapers, whom at one point manage to almost wipe out all life in the galaxy, now can be taken down by a giant worm. <.<

It looks great and amazing, but i can't help but think the game is gonna feel really silly when Reapers can be taken down willy nilly, when in ME1 1 reaper damn dear destroyed the entire galactic fleet.

Well i have to turn off thinking. Thats the only reason why i loved ME2 when it was in all logic, the same story as ME1. XD
A few things to note here:

1)
From what I read of this particular scene, that's not exactly going to be the case...
As well, this isn't Sovereign; this is clearly a much smaller Reaper, since a Sovereign-sized Reaper of ~2km would've literally crushed the Thresher like a bug.

2)

Technically, it didn't destroy the entire galactic fleet. First, mostly due to the Geth ships, they wiped out most of the defenses already stationed at the Citadel; Sovereign barely did anything combat-wise - save ramming into a carrier - before 5th fleet arrived, and even then it didn't successfully wipe out the whole fleet. Still, it says a lot about the Reaper's immense power...

Which kinda leads me to my question: how the holy blazing mother of fuck are we suppose to take down the ENTIRE Reaper fleet?! All we've seen of the Reapers are these "tiny" guys, and even then it almost seems like they can survive anything: orbital strikes, fighting hyper-massive Thresher Maws. I fail to see how even amassing the entire Galactic fleet is going to combat multiple Sovereign-sized Reapers, never mind EVERY Reaper in the galaxy at this point.
The only clue having been provided in the leaked demo so far indicates that the Alliance has some sort of 'Secret Weapon' in development, and I, along with a few other friends on another site, had a theory as to what this might be.
Ok fair enough that Sovereign was a big mamajama and had Geth help.

But again, these are the end all be all in total destruction. The only reason they left last time was because there wasn't enough life left in the galaxy to support them. It wasn't as if they were beaten. So if the end of ME3 didn't involve some mass exodus through some newly discovered jump gate that lead them to another part of the Universe, away from the Reaper, I will invoke the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength! The more there are the weaker they become! XD

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I don't understand the point of these ground Reapers at all. What use would it possibly be to have a weapon confined to ground use when orbital attacks are so much more effective? Seriously, a sensibly designed Reaper would've taken off, pointed its gun at the thresher maw and held down the fire button until there was nothing left but a smouldering crater. In fact, why are the Reapers on Earth at all? I don't mean why are they attacking Earth, I mean why are they on it? They are perfectly capable of subjugating the entire planet from orbit, and being on the ground just renders them more vulnerable (because they have to divert power from their shields to lighten themselves enough to walk on ground. In fact, the first Mass Effect established that ships had to disable their shields to land on a planet, but I guess Bioware forgot their own lore).

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Redingold said:
I don't understand the point of these ground Reapers at all. What use would it possibly be to have a weapon confined to ground use when orbital attacks are so much more effective? Seriously, a sensibly designed Reaper would've taken off, pointed its gun at the thresher maw and held down the fire button until there was nothing left but a smouldering crater. In fact, why are the Reapers on Earth at all? I don't mean why are they attacking Earth, I mean why are they on it? They are perfectly capable of subjugating the entire planet from orbit, and being on the ground just renders them more vulnerable (because they have to divert power from their shields to lighten themselves enough to walk on ground. In fact, the first Mass Effect established that ships had to disable their shields to land on a planet, but I guess Bioware forgot their own lore).
just an fyi reapers dont have to lower their sheilds to land.

as to why they would land thats simple they want humans so they can turn them into reapers(end of ME2 btw) so they cant just burn them all to death they need to get down there indocternate them and then load their asses up they cant do this from orbit. oh and they are more vunrible in space then planetside.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
ecoho said:
Redingold said:

as to why they would land thats simple they want humans so they can turn them into reapers(end of ME2 btw) so they cant just burn them all to death they need to get down there indocternate them and then load their asses up they cant do this from orbit. oh and they are more vunrible in space then planetside.
Firstly, I'd like some evidence that Reapers are stronger on land than in space, and secondly, why don't they just say: "We'll kill you all if you don't surrender" and pump indoctrinating signals over the whole planet? Then, when all the resistance has been quelled, they drop down, pick up their new mindless slaves and do whatever stupid thing Bioware thinks makes sense.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Android2137 said:
...But... I was able to beat the Thresher Maw on Veteran with only two buddies and an itty bitty pistol... Why can't even an admittedly small Reaper do it?
Something to do with the element of surprise, I imagine. We know that Reapers can do some serious damage with their their beam weapons and the like, but not really too sure how good it is at close range combat, especially when caught unawares. Chances are it wasn't expecting to be taken from behind by that thresher maw.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Redingold said:
ecoho said:
Redingold said:

Firstly, I'd like some evidence that Reapers are stronger on land than in space, and secondly, why don't they just say: "We'll kill you all if you don't surrender" and pump indoctrinating signals over the whole planet? Then, when all the resistance has been quelled, they drop down, pick up their new mindless slaves and do whatever stupid thing Bioware thinks makes sense.
ok in a battle around a planet there are very large factors that are not so planet side.

first of lets start with something both have gravity. gravity on planet as you stated is power consumeing but its the same in space if they dont keep a certen distance from a planet they risk uncontroled reentry which would utterly distroy them.

second you can be attack easily not just from space but by the ground as well. beleave it or not its actualy really hard to hit something on the ground from orbit due to rotation of the planet the electromagnetic feild said planet produces.

last and by no means least the planet is contantly moving and surrounded by debry. little hard to detect if they are sending small ships to screw up your orbit if there are so many objects in close proxcimenty to you.

Sep 4, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Mass Effecrt 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/10/mass-effect-3-trailer-sees-shepard-get-a-little-help-from-wormy/]

Please use a spellchecker. Repeat after me: "I am a professional and serious news reporter".

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
DTWolfwood said:
CalPal said:
DTWolfwood said:
Its one of those cases of the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu]. Apparently the Reapers, whom at one point manage to almost wipe out all life in the galaxy, now can be taken down by a giant worm. <.<

It looks great and amazing, but i can't help but think the game is gonna feel really silly when Reapers can be taken down willy nilly, when in ME1 1 reaper damn dear destroyed the entire galactic fleet.

Well i have to turn off thinking. Thats the only reason why i loved ME2 when it was in all logic, the same story as ME1. XD
A few things to note here:

1)
From what I read of this particular scene, that's not exactly going to be the case...
As well, this isn't Sovereign; this is clearly a much smaller Reaper, since a Sovereign-sized Reaper of ~2km would've literally crushed the Thresher like a bug.

2)

Technically, it didn't destroy the entire galactic fleet. First, mostly due to the Geth ships, they wiped out most of the defenses already stationed at the Citadel; Sovereign barely did anything combat-wise - save ramming into a carrier - before 5th fleet arrived, and even then it didn't successfully wipe out the whole fleet. Still, it says a lot about the Reaper's immense power...

Which kinda leads me to my question: how the holy blazing mother of fuck are we suppose to take down the ENTIRE Reaper fleet?! All we've seen of the Reapers are these "tiny" guys, and even then it almost seems like they can survive anything: orbital strikes, fighting hyper-massive Thresher Maws. I fail to see how even amassing the entire Galactic fleet is going to combat multiple Sovereign-sized Reapers, never mind EVERY Reaper in the galaxy at this point.
The only clue having been provided in the leaked demo so far indicates that the Alliance has some sort of 'Secret Weapon' in development, and I, along with a few other friends on another site, had a theory as to what this might be.
Ok fair enough that Sovereign was a big mamajama and had Geth help.

But again, these are the end all be all in total destruction. The only reason they left last time was because there wasn't enough life left in the galaxy to support them. It wasn't as if they were beaten. So if the end of ME3 didn't involve some mass exodus through some newly discovered jump gate that lead them to another part of the Universe, away from the Reaper, I will invoke the Law of Inverse Ninja Strength! The more there are the weaker they become! XD
True enough, it seems impossible to beat them from what we know of ME3 so far. However, if you're going to talk about tropes, I don't think the Inverse Ninja Law is capable of being applied to Eldritch Abominations; it's contrary to their nature of being, well, unimaginably horrific beings that can and will overpower entire civilizations just by their very prescence. We need a Badass Army, Zerg Rush AND something else on top to even have a chance of beating them, and even then, how is it enough to stop survive them?!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/10/mass-effect-3-trailer-sees-shepard-get-a-little-help-from-wormy/]

Please use a spellchecker. Repeat after me: "I am a professional and serious news reporter".
Well done, you noticed a typo. Now repeat after me: "I'm being a jerk on the internet."

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Redingold said:
Agreed, its kinda like they built up the reapers too much in the first games and now bioware is pulling their hair out saying "crap the other races couldn't actually do shit to stop them." so now that the lore is overbuilt they just dumbed it down for the game. I mean come on a race that pretty much destroyed all life in the galaxy and almost annihilated the citadel in the first game is going to lose in a battle with all its forces within the same lifespan timeline? As a Sci-Fi enthusiast i call bollocks on this one. But then again in a space opera, gears of war, watered down RPG anything can happen right? And to reply to all the defenders of the trailer saying its too early to tell. I would agree..... if i hadn't wasted 6 hours playing ME2 which was, once again just a watered down version of ME1. The story and RPG aspect are being sacrificed regularly in console gaming these days. Its no secret its like hollywood movies. The stories are for selling not for the sake of the game.

Sep 4, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Well done, you noticed a typo. Now repeat after me: "I'm being a jerk on the internet."
"I'm being a jerk on the internet."

OK, its a fair point. But if you have an editor please tell them to be as pedantic about checking of spelling as I was so you don't have to deal with publicly left comments on a forum. It keeps the work of both of you look head and shoulders over the likes of other game sites.