Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom

Legal stuff before I begin

Any TL;DR post will result in a report.
Thanks to Google for providing the images.
Thanks to Youtube and the users who posted the videos that will be used for this.
This review will contain minor spoilers. Maybe.
Some parts, like the Hunt Missions and Weapon Customization, will be left out as otherwise, this would be too long. While I do like to go into a lot of detail, if I included everything, this would be just a behemoth of a thing to read. In addition, I want to keep the reader entertained and/or interested, not wondering when it will end.

Final Fantasy XIII (FF XIII from here on) is a J-RPG developed and published by Square Enix. It follows a group of people from different backgrounds as they try to save their own lives while being chased across the world of Pulse and Cocoon and their subsequent locations.

Now, to begin, we shall start with what makes a FF game a FF game. The story.
The story of FF XIII takes place in the two worlds of Pulse and Cocoon and focuses on the rift between Pulse and Cocoon. Now, bear with me for a while, as the basic story requires a lot of information to understand. 1,300 years before the events of FF XIII, Cocoon was created by the fal?Cie as a paradise for humanity. Humanity on Cocoon soon flourished thanks to the fal?Cie being able to create life and machines to help them along in their daily lives. However, a war between the fal?Cie of Pulse and the fal?Cie of Cocoon, which we are never told the reason for, leads to the citizens of Cocoon fearing Pulse, even though Cocoon won the war, which soon became known as the War of Transgressions and left Cocoon fearful of another invasion from Pulse. In the 1,300 years between that and the games events, having been kept secluded in Cocoon, its residents have become nervous of the true nature of Pulse, leading to The Sanctum, the government and its leader, The Primarch, to issue an edict: Any individuals suspected to be in contact with the world of Pulse or any of its artefacts or items are to be banished from the continent unconditionally and cast into the harsh environment of the planet below.

When a Pulse fal?Cie is located in Bodhum, a small beach town on Cocoon, this leads to the Cocoon citizens screaming that the entire village be banished, as the edict suggests. PSICOM, the military branch of The Sanctum, has no choice to act out the edict and banish the town?s population to the world below, an act that becomes known as The Purge and are lead to The Hanging Gardens, along with the Pulse fal?Cie, Anima, contained within a building known as the Pulse Vestige. This marks the beginning of the game, sets up the introduction to the main characters, and launches into the story where you meet the characters of Lightning, Sazh, Hope, Vanille and Snow who each have their own different reasons as to why they are all heading to the Pulse Vestige. It is here where they all are turned into Pulse l?Cie by the fal?Cie Anima, leading to the events that propel the game and propelling you to your goal, which is finding out what their Focus is, and to try and figure out how to fulfil it.

?Cocoon?a utopia in the sky.

Its inhabitants believed their world a paradise. Under the Sanctum's rule, Cocoon had long known peace and prosperity.
Mankind was blessed by its protectors, the benevolent fal'Cie, and believed that tranquil days would continue forever.

Their tranquillity was shattered with the discovery of one hostile fal'Cie.
The moment that fal'Cie from Pulse?the feared and detested lowerworld?awoke from its slumber; peace on Cocoon came to an end.

Fal'Cie curse humans, turning them into magic-wielding servants. They become l'Cie?chosen of the fal'Cie.
Those branded with the mark of a l'Cie carry the burden of either fulfilling their Focus or facing a fate harsher than death itself.

A prayer for redemption. A wish to protect the world. A promise to challenge destiny.
After thirteen days of fates intertwined, the battle begins."​

Everybody! It?s the end of the world as we know it~

Now, the story is kept deliberately unclear until later on, where the plot comes together into one juicy bag of Haribo. This is about five to ten hours in and will not come quick enough for some players. For those who are willing to wait for the game to pick up, it?s nicely paced and as it slowly picks up speed, revealing more about the story, it grows on you, dragging you in by the scruff of the neck, slowly telling you back-story through flash-backs, showing you how the events of the story came to be and keeping you interested in the game. A problem for me though is, while you learn a great deal of the main parties back stories and history through the cut-scenes and narrative in game, you learn very little to the bad guys back-stories. Moreover, there are quite a few bad guys thrown into the story, mainly to introduce massive plot twists. While needed, the sudden slew of bad guys confuses you, making you wonder who that was and why you should care about them. Add to this no real fleshing out of their backgrounds and motives, except for the main bad guy, and how they fit in to the story and the bad guys seem like they were made with the intent of just being used to link the story together, which is a little disappointing. While not story breaking, it just feels sort of slap dash and left me wondering who that just was trying to murderize my party and why I should care. A little more connection with them would have been nice to make me feel like I knew them.
Now, let us talk about the thing that helps you experience a story. Game-play.

Many people complain about the game-play of FF games of being linear and boring. If you come into this expected a big change in that, you will be sorely disappointed. This game is as linear as a linear person in a town made of linear things on a linear national holiday; lots of running from A to B with little or no exploration until the later stages of the game on the plains of Gran Pulse. Where FF XIII really shines though is not in the exploration of its world, which it does give you ample chance later on even if it is only to a giant field and various areas, but the battle system which you will be seeing a lot of as you progress. The battle system has had a few changes made to it, some more important then others. I won?t go into all of them unless you want to read a ten page review but I shall cover the most used ones, the Paradigm Deck, the return of the Active Time Battle system albeit with a few tweaks, the new addition of pre-emptive attacks and the ?Stagger? bar and the levelling up system or ?Crystarium? as it is known in game.

The battle system in action. And yes, enemies really do get to that size.

To initiate a battle with one of the numerous beasties that populate FF XIII?sworld, you must first either run into them or have them run into you. If you manage to run into them without them noticing you, you will get a pre-emptive strike. Your reward for doing so? A nearly full ?Stagger? bar. Now, this ?Stagger? bar is a handy addition to making fights turn in your favour. Fill the bar up completely through attacking an enemy with magic and psychical attacks and reach their ?Stagger Point?. When they reach that point, you can deal more damage and take the fight sky-wards if you have obtained the ?Launch? ability from the Crystarium. Now, how fast that ?Stagger? bar fills is dependant on what sort of attacks you use. Psychical damage only fills the bar up a tiny bit but keeps the chain alive. If you use magical attacks like FIRE or BLIZZARD[footnote]Note, I thought colours would pep my review up a bit.[/footnote] the bar fills quicker but also depletes quicker. Now, this is where the Paradigm System comes into play.

Now, the Paradigm System is a system in which each member of your party assumes a certain role. These roles are Commando, or warrior; Ravager, or black mage; Healer, or White Mage; Saboteur, which performs magic attacks that weaken enemies; Synergist, which casts magical spells that strengthens allies; and Sentinel, a role which has increased defence and protective abilities. Only a mixture of three roles is available to everyone at the start, with them all becoming available after a certain point in the story line. To keep it far, you can create up to six different Paradigms, which is a mixture of the Roles described above. The different roles also effect how fast the Stagger Bar fills and depletes. Ravagers fill it quickly but it also depletes quicker. Commando?s fill it slowly but makes it decrease slowly as well and Saboteur is a mix between the two. You have to find the right balance between all of the roles to get the best balance of offence and defence, while being able to keep your party alive long enough with the Medic class. It adds an element of strategy to the combat and before the combat as you work out the ideal Paradigms to use with your party and to get the most out of the party.

O, Mighty Chocobo, you are my God. May you be blessed with insane levels of sweetness.

Now, to help your party beat the more powerful enemies in the game, you need to level up. During battle, you will notice that instead of waiting for enemies to attack, they will attack at any time. Thankfully, you can attack when you want as well, if the ATB gauge has charged. Now, while this is charging, you can stack up commands, which take segments from the gauge. For example, a basic Attack command will take one segment, while Blitz, an area of effect attack, will take up two segments out of a possible six. Another new positive is, with a press of a button, you can stop the ATB gauge charging, execute your current attacks, and cancel your current chain in case you need to readjust your tactics or divert your attention elsewhere in case enemies swamp a character and that can happen. A small change as well, you can only control the party leader in battle, while the A.I takes control of the other members. Now, while this works fairly well 90% of the time, a few times you will find your party mates becoming more and more annoying and notice they will not do what you want them to. If you had control of them, it may help a little bit but would not be practical in the long run. Monitoring three characters while maintaining the pace of the battles would eventually over-whelm the player.

This is where the Crystarium comes into play. After every battle, your party receives CP, similar to EXP from the previous FF games to use in the Crystarium to level up. However, it is not the greatest levelling up system if you want flexibility. Numerous articles, including my own preview, promised players another ?Sphere Grid? taken from FF X and we did get it. In basic design and basic design alone. There is no customization in the Crystarium or the ability to choose where you go, only the choice to level up the classes and even then, they all have linear paths with only a few off shoots that add more health, strength, magic power or a new ability that isn?t that great. Therefore, it was a major let down to what I expected when I heard the rumours it would be like the Sphere Grid. Another small niggle that may annoy you later on, related to the Crystarium is the grinding. There was quite a bit in my play-through and while I personally found it fun, looking from the middle of the road, it may grate after a while, having to fight for 20 minutes in the later stages to gain enough CP to get an extra 100HP and a few extra abilities.

Well, mate, indeed I do. Now step aside before I kill you and force the scriptwriters to come up with a clever but possible way to bring you back.

Now, music and voice work plays a vital role in Final Fantasy games and this one is no different. The soundtrack for FF XIII is definitely no exception, combining amazingly upbeat songs then switching to mournful tunes that set the mood perfectly for the scene that is happening. As this reviewers internet is amazingly poor for watching videos but not posting, I have only been able to find one example of each song, which will be put in the spoilers below so you can sample the upbeat and moving songs.

A full play list of FF XIII?s soundtrack can be found here, if you so wish to pursue a few more songs. [http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=495EE12081A05BE5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&v=oOqG0iHnqHE] There is no songs that whilst playing, I felt did not set the mood perfectly or seem out of place. Everyone?s biggest worry was that ?My Hands? by Leona Lewis was going to ruin the game and I was a bit sceptical about it myself. I am happy to report that it does not and fits the scene it appears in perfectly.

Moving into the love/hate territory of a Final Fantasy games VA work now, we find that the voices for all the characters are nicely voiced. All of them, with the exception of Vanilles voice for the first chapter. While not terrible, her accent does switch surprisingly a lot during those 5 hours. It zooms around and she makes a hell of a lot of squeaks and random little noises, which will irritate all but the dead players. It irritated me a bit but I persisted, hoping that it would get better. And it did so, thankfully. However, a plus side is that all the voice actors do their jobs really nicely, setting the tone and getting into their roles. In addition, as a small note, the overall background ambient sounds are all very good, helping to add to the atmosphere. However, whoever decided to have the sound of footsteps in the game so bloody loud should be shot. The constant ?Click click click?, ?Shs, shs, shs? or indeed, ?Whumph whumph whumph? can get annoying when there is no other sounds playing or things are quiet. It is not that bad as it will make you snap the disc or discs in two, but it is annoying enough to make you go into the menu and turn down the sound effects a bit.

What is the shiny blue thing, you ask? Well, that would be an anti-gravity device. Useful for fighting flying monsters.

A small mention about the graphics now for those who need it. Graphically, FF XIII is an astounding game, pushing the limits of my old and somewhat nearly dead 360 to breaking point. Not once did I witness screen tear, any stuttering or any drop in textures. A few small gripes where had with the loading of other areas on Gran Pulse but that is expected as the plains are massive and if they had managed to make it seamlessly flowing, the game would probably have been on even more discs for the 360. Thankfully, the loading is fairly short, about 8 seconds or so, so you do not have to wait too long.

Now, is Final Fantasy XII a great game, a good game, average, bad or the next worst thing to gaming since that Aussie bloke who wanted to ban video games in Austria?

While it had the potential to be the best Final Fantasy I?ve played, sadly it is not.
While a very fun and entertaining romp, the various niggles I found within it makes it a good game at best, worthy of purchase now when it is a bit cheaper. That said though, anyone who needs to get into J-RPG?s could do a lot worse, it is very user friendly for those who are new to J-RPG?s and will keep those who like a good story happy for the 60 hour play-time.[footnote]My play time, yours may vary.[/footnote]

Sassafrass does a Mini-Review of FF XIII: The Complete Official Guide, Collector's Edition.

Why yes, I have one. Jealous? I hope so, you should be.

About a week after I picked up my copy of FF XIII and getting stuck on an annoying boss, I thought ?Hmm. I may need a guide for this.? Therefore, I drove then walked to my local Gamestation to see if they had a guide for me. Little did I realise they still had a full stock of the collector?s edition official guide. Like a rabid fan, I snapped it up. I was the proud owner of the collector?s addition guide, of which only 210,000 were made. I have Number 193, 938, if you were wondering. Now, due to spoilering the game for myself, I did not use it unless I was really stuck which, after I got past the boss, didn?t happen too much.

Upon completion of the game, I decided to study it and it is jammed full of hints, tips and exclusive artwork which is a nice touch. The guide itself has many features and is for both the 360 and PS3, so neither console gets a different guide. It is very useful and gives out a lot of tips, from grinding locations, a full list of Paradigms and a suggested few that work effectively, an extensive guide on how to customize your weapons and a very detailed Bestiary, listing all the monsters, bosses and their weaknesses, strengths and the CP you receive.

The guide also contains spoiler alerts on its contents page, so you get a fair warning of how high the spoiler levels are. A nice touch as it gives you incentive to not read on further as I normally do when I get a guide of this nature. Add in a very streamlined index system also makes finding things a breeze too, which is useful, and the purchase of this guide seems to be a good one.

A small section of the Bestiary.

Also included in the guide at the back is the Extras section. Now, this is basically for the ultimate fanboy or girl within you. This section includes the full back story from within the game itself, a few in game Easter eggs for you to find, a full list of achievements/trophies for the completionist, the Pulse and Cocoon alphabets, some more back story in the form of plot holes that weren?t addressed in game but aren?t relevant and more exclusive art work. It feels like Square Enix really took their time to construct such a detailed universe, thanks in part to this guide.

So, is it worth buying? Yes, if you are an official fan boy and want all the juicy insider tips and tricks, grinding spots and what not, no, if you are someone who is not. If you have a copy of this, post what number it is with a comment on the review(s). It?d be interesting to see who has one.

Thanks for reading, comments and the like will be appreciated, even hateful ones directed at the game as it keeps this visible.

Hot Fuzz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/326.163840]
Scrubs Review with VaudevillianVeteran and Pimppeter2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/326.167644]
Final Fantasy X [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/326.166262]
Big Brother and Celeb BB [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/326.167121]
These guys (And a girl!) A fun review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/326.170076]
Black Sheep [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.174430]
Borderlands [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.180755-Sassafrass-Reviews-Borderlands-about-the-5th-review-of-it-since-Yahtzees]
Dave the TV channel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.181712-Poll-Sassafrass-Reviews-Dave-A-TV-channel]
Colin McRae: DiRT 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.187935-Sassafrass-Reviews-Colin-McRae-DiRT-2-360]

Note: Please do not post in any of the older reviews listed here. PM about them if you want to comment on them.

Resident Evil: Extinction (Film)
30 Days Of Night (Film)
Zombieland (Film)
FF XIII (360)
Bioshock (360)
Bioshock 2(360)
Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (360)
Borderlands (360)
Viva Pinata (360)
Top Gear (TV)
Dave (TV Channel)
Dragon Age: Origins (360)
ITV1 (TV channel)
Clutch - Full Fathom Five (Music review, idea pitched by [user]Swollen Goat[/user])
The X-Factor: A Sassafrass and VaudevillianVeteran Review (TV show) (ON HOLD)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
This obviously took you ages, I'm astounded. Well written too.

One thing though, in the review of the guide you messed up the BB code for one of the images, it looks as though you forgot the "/".

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Stranger of Sorts said:
This obviously took you ages, I'm astounded. Well written too.

One thing though, in the review of the guide you messed up the BB code for one of the images, it looks as though you forgot the "/".
Just noticed that, I'll try and get to the edit.
My internet doesn't like me when I do this.

And thanks, it did take a long time. I finished the game two months ago. XD

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
A well written review, and it's clear that the time that went into this review was well spent, though it does occasionally feel a little like you're explaining the mechanics of the game, then stapling a little verdict to the end.
Well written and informative, though I think that you could have been a little more on task throughout.

[sub]Bask in the glory that is my 9999th post!
Also, for those who care: I'm getting really sick of the eight or so people who have made milestone posts in the past week-ish.
I've been planning this one for three months!
For those who don't have an IQ greater than that of a spoon, I'm timing my 10,000th post with the anniversary of my joining date.[/sub]

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Fantabulous review Sass! Great job.

Glad you finally finished this one.

Still not a big fan of the game itself though. :(

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
I refuse to call this Final Fantasy till everyone has 13 feet long gun-swords!Until then this is "A Group of Pricks Kill Forest Critters for Profit"

Great review mate!Thank science you didn't go through every little detail or else even I would be forced to TL;DR >_<

Keep looking for the GIGA-CHOCOBO! :p

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Fantastic review man. I couldn't find any spelling errors or BB code mistakes of grammatical errors anywhere. And while I might disagree with you on most of your points, I still respect your opinion of the game.

Still, I hate it and everything it stands for.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
SeanTheSheep said:
Thanks for the comments.
And I'll look into making my reviews in the future a bit more reviewy in nature.
[sup]And yay, you used your 9999th post on me!
I'm happy. ^_^[/sup]
Swollen Goat said:
SNIPPITY!
Well...maybe. >> << XD
Thanks for the comment as well. And I'll try not to take as long next time, hopefully writers block won't rear its ugly head and sit on my brain, making me dumb(er) XD
Julianking93 said:
The Matrix: Resnipped
Thanks for the comments.
And it's a shame you didn't like this. I would try and change your mind but alas, I'm too lazy. :p That and I don't try to change peoples minds.
Baby Eater said:
The Day The Snip Stood Still
Thanks for the comments. ...Again. >< Broken record is broken.
Yeah, with FF games if I included every little detail, I'd be forced to spoiler the review entirely, I think. That or post it in two parts. >< And yay for Science!

And I will find that damn chocobo if it kills you Tin Henman Simon Cowell me. >> <<
BloodyThoughts said:
Thanks for the comments.
And that was due to a triple checking of everything with a spelling and grammar checker. I didn't want another DiRT review... >< And thanks for respecting my opinion. Yours is wrong about Zombieland, but ya know. You were told that already. XD

And I know you do and I cannot wait for you to review it. Should be fun. :D

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
A very nice review. I have the guide...number 98,461.

It is drool worthy. At least, the extras section is. I proudly keep this guide on a shelf, right next to my original disc for Oblivion. When I get FF13 back from my friend, the game will go on the same shelf. I'd put the Oblivion guide, but it's torn and tattered, and doesn't stand up straight.

Sadly, this is not a game I have any intention to 100%. Other RPGs to finally beat, you know! Resonance of Fate, Dragon Age, Morrowind (well, a few guild questlines, at least..never did do Fighter's or Thieves Guild. Or Telvanni.), Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Fable 1 + 2 again before 3 comes out, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of Symphonia 2.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Wow... super review Sass. Well done!

Alas... I cannot stand Final Fantasy games, every timne I've tried one I had to stop after 5 or 6 hours because I was so bored.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:

Alas... I cannot stand Final Fantasy games, every timne I've tried one I had to stop after 5 or 6 hours because I was so bored.
Give the "Tales of..." series a try. A much better JRPG series. There's a demo on the XBL marketplace, if you're willing to give it a spin.

I'd say try Dragon Quest, but those games are a bit grind heavy. And they haven't modernized past their roots very much. They're ULTRA traditional.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Wow, that was surprisingly good. Well written, good picture placement and paragraph structure. However, there is one fault. Inject more opinion! You did a good run down of what the game offers and what it does right, but you need more definitive remarks. But overall, it was a great review and very informative. Stellar job.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
Well written it was really good and lol nice guide i have one to. Despite all my comments on this good reveiw i'd like to say a few things but since your censoring and deleting any "TL:DR" (not sure what it exatcly means. I guess i'll say quiet so you can only see the good comments and delete the bad.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Give the "Tales of..." series a try. A much better JRPG series. There's a demo on the XBL marketplace, if you're willing to give it a spin.

I'd say try Dragon Quest, but those games are a bit grind heavy. And they haven't modernized past their roots very much. They're ULTRA traditional.
Will do!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Will do!
Tales of Vesperia is the demo, to be exact about it. Came out the same day as the Too Human demo. People were too busy bitching about Too Human to notice, though.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Will do!
Tales of Vesperia is the demo, to be exact about it. Came out the same day as the Too Human demo. People were too busy bitching about Too Human to notice, though.
I remember that... man, has there ever been a more unanimously hated game??

My 360 is dead to the world right now... but in 3 weeks when I get my slim I'll download it! (unless I can somehow get the demo working on it with the machine, might work with a busted disc drive)

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Onyx Oblivion said:
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the Extras section is the best thing about it. The guide and that, while helpful, is over shadowed by the Extras section. So much stuff!
MiracleOfSound said:
Thanks for the comment.

And yes, FF games are well known for having a long start, sadly. But this one has an action packed start then sort of drifts off into story mode.
Pimppeter2 said:
Snip Mk 3
Thanks for the comment and you sound surprised. XD
I'll look into improving that side of my reviews on my next one.
Legion IV said:
Snip Mk 4
Thanks for the comment.

And TL;DR means too long; didn't read, the bane of a reviewers...life? Yeah, we'll go with that.
But please, feel free to rip into the game, me, yourself, your pets, whatever. A few bad comments won't be a problem. So go nuts with what you want to say.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Sassafrass said:
Thanks for the comment and you sound surprised. XD
I'll look into improving that side of my reviews on my next one.
These are the types of games that are hardest to review. You either say too much, or too little, or put too much hate, or put to much love. It's why I've avoided the reviewing the series. Either way, it really was very well written considering the source material, you even did its confusing ass story sound accessible. So yup, I'm impressed. I'll be awaiting your next one. [sub](Hope its Viva Pinata)[/sub]