Sausage Party- an animated film for adults

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
A friend recently introduced me to the trailer for a film called Sausage Party.

It's a pretty weird premise, and I'm not sure what to think. At first I basically thought someone had gotten the clever idea to make food fight 2. Then it turned out to be a bit more... disturbing. So what do you think of Seth Rogen's newest drug fueled abomination? Funny? Weird? And do you think this could indicative of a growing trend of animated films for adults?

Edit: video fixed

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
You borked the video link:

I honestly can't tell if I'm staring at potential brilliance or a single joke stretched out to feature length.

Either way, it certainly made an impression.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
See. This goes to prove that vegetarians are murderers too. Poor filthy mouth Irish (?) potato.

We are all murderers... to food.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
If it's a comedy, it failed to make me laugh

Maybe it's a comedy of errors then?

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Meh.

I chuckled a little at the beaches of Normandy thing, but otherwise wasn't funny.

Is there a problem with regular animated movies, that there needs to be one specifically for adults? The only "adult" thing about it seems to be cussing.
I wouldn't call it an animated movie for adults, it is just the only way for them to show the idea of personified food.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
WinterWyvern said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think they reaaaally went out of their way to make the hotdog bun look like a vagina.
I was thinking the same thing.

Thankfully you wrote it before me or I know some people in this forum who would claim it's not true and I'm imagining vaginas. :p
I'm just impressed that they managed to make it a Vagina and give it boobs.
Glongpre said:
Meh.

I chuckled a little at the beaches of Normandy thing, but otherwise wasn't funny.

Is there a problem with regular animated movies, that there needs to be one specifically for adults? The only "adult" thing about it seems to be cussing.
I wouldn't call it an animated movie for adults, it is just the only way for them to show the idea of personified food.
Varietys sake? You would never get an Akira, or a Neon Genesis in America.

Not that this is exactly setting the standard for artistic integrity. The animation's pretty bad, and the humor seems to revolve around saying "fuck" a lot. I'm surprised that this weird thing managed to get made.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah...it looks like the kind of comedy from PineApple Express and SuperBad. Yeah. Yeah.

*deep sigh* Well if Food Fight can get Charlie Sheen, I guess this can be called edgy.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Doesn't even look that good. The only "adult" thing was the swearing, and I think the film would actually benefit from not having it at all. But I still want to see how this turns out. We haven't had a decent adult-aimed animated comedy film since perhaps Team America.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
Why am I getting flashbacks of The Annoying Orange back during the earlier stuff where the punchlines were fruits and veggies getting 'brutalised' by the knife? I mean I wont lie I chuckled here and there but that was more at the 'horror' of food preparation rather than the rampant use of foul language which the writers seem to think is what constitutes as comedy.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Looks way to much like food fight to not make me wince a little internally. It could be fun in a silly stupid way though. Kindof a shame they set the bar this low to be honest, animation for adults gets a bad rep as it is, a big budget animated movie coming out for theaters is a good thing, but if it resorts to the low-brow humor this is clearly employing, it won't help convince people that animation doesn't always equate to immaturity or low-brow humor.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Its too bad that most 'children' animation movies have better humour than whatever this garbage is. Its all swear words and poorly made sex jokes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't know...it could be good but something about the animation is just rubbing me the wrong way. I feel like I'm watching a low budget CGI thing that was made for a small, conservative audience but the cast seems really solid and the trailer left a good impression on me. Like someone else above (or on page one) said though, this seems like a one-joke concept: Body Horror but it's happening to food, also tons of foul language.

Why does the hot dog bun have breasts...?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I don't know why it's getting a negative reaction from you guys, LOOK HOW UTTERLY FUCKING DARK THIS SHIT IS! It's incredible! How the hell could anyone not want to see this and how it gets resolved?

The fucking Baby Carrots thing has been in my head since last night when I saw it, it's so disturbing. The little Baby Carrot screaming "I want my mommy!" ohhhhhh, and the bit with the lettuce. This my kind of horror movie, clearly.

I think I just relate a bit too much to the source material, routinely going through life thinking how fucked up everything is, while everyone around me seems so blindly happy. Whatever, I love it.

I'm in full agreement the cursing was a bit over done, if only because it really cheapens the "They're eating fucking children?!" and "Once you see that shit, it'll fuck you up for life!"

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Parasondox said:
See. This goes to prove that vegetarians are murderers too. Poor filthy mouth Irish (?) potato.

We are all murderers... to food.
Fairly sure that was already obvious. ;p

Only way to argue otherwise is to ignore the fact that vegetables and plants are alive. XD

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The syonpis is interesting but it fail to catch me on like that other adult animated film about two guys going to hell to saved their mate.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I laughed at the part where they started peeling the potato; all of the prior scenes seemed to be leading up to it, so there was a decent amount of anticipation for the point when they realize what's going on and all the intentionally over the top mawkishness fades away. Other than that, eh ...

I know people are probably sick of the phrase "trying too hard", but all the swearing in the trailer makes this film really feels like it's trying way too hard to be "adult". Well, after re-watching the trailer it seems the one I watched initially on some news site bleeped out all the profanity, which kind of made it feel like there was way more of it than in the uncensored version. Either way, I guess it could be funny. Trailers do sometimes sell movies short.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
The bun looking, being and acting like female anatomy is a new idea, not that I'm holding that against the movie I just wanted to point that out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jChH97Z4g6Y
Oh Canada, never change.

On a side,(pun not intended) think there will be a joke in the film real or not about the squeal being called L**** Party?