Save the Whips and Chains Until the Second Date

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006

Creepers tend to get creepy when creeping.

Read Full Article

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Lara Crigger said:

Creepers tend to get creepy when creeping.

Read Full Article
And this week's theme -- perspective!

Distress is forgetting that the whole point of "dating" is not just to learn about the other person, but to teach them about you. If you were teaching a kid how to read, you wouldn't start with Conrad's Heart of Darkness. When you talk about the BDSM stuff too soon, here's what you are (unintentionally) teaching about yourself to an outsider:

1. This fetish is a priority, and a big part of your identity. Whether true or not, this fact can be a big turn-off in itself. When sex is that central to a person's "self," it sometimes indicates someone who wants to rush sex, and who may leave after the novelty wears off. Make sure you're showing other facets of yourself first.

2. You want to incorporate her into your life, rather than incorporate yourself into hers. Everyone has a list of non-negotiables they bring into the relationship, of course -- but sometimes we forget that, when that non-negotiable requires participation from the other party, well... it might have to be negotiable. And the first rule of negotiation? Don't open with everything you've got.

3. Here's a biggie, and one that is pretty unfair: You're teaching her that you fit every stereotype she has ever heard about folks in that scene. How? Because she doesn't know any better yet. She has to learn who you are, aside from your bedroom preferences. She has to learn that her preconceived notions about that whole scene are skewed by media. Both of those take time. But when you go into that stuff too soon, she truly can't help bringing all of that prior "knowledge" to the table, because she hasn't learn anything to replace it yet.

_________

Out of Luck understands that the other person has a perspective on the matter... and is frustrated that it isn't being shared. You're thinking about things in a very mature way -- it's a learning experience, failures included -- but you're thwarted by reality. Generally speaking, people hate "exit surveys."

When someone asks you why you're quitting/leaving/breaking up/etc., whether it's a relationship or a cell phone plan, we can't help but think it's so they can figure out a way to "get us back." Even if it's just to improve the quality of their service, do we really care? We're leaving, whether they get better or not, and we don't like being made to feel wrong.

So, the sad fact is that you won't get an answer in a situation like this. All reasons boil down to one core fact: They don't want to be with you anymore. Any improvements you intend to make need to be hashed out for yourself. Heck, you may find that it's your fixation with "doing it right" that is intimidating or off-putting...

But you're already in a good position personally -- you're more honest with yourself than most, and you consider the perspective of others. Answers will come, just not from the people you date.

_________

Nintendog:

What you've got is a guy who's played too many games. To him, you have no perspective of your own, you're just a game. If he enters the right sequence of moves, and executes those combos enough times, victory is assured. He does not see you as a person, he sees you as a game that can be won -- meaning you have no will of your own. If you're not with him yet, it just means he hasn't hit the right buttons or used the right strategy.

Cut him out of your life. For his good as much as yours, it needs to be a clean break. Make him aware that the problem is he doesn't respect your feelings or independence, so if he tries to "fight" you on this at all, he's only proving your point further. And then that's all. No further contact, no matter what.

You'll both be better for it.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Dastardly said:
I think I enjoy reading Dastardly's comments just as much as Lara's. Almost like a post commentary. You guys give sound and unbiased advice in my opinion as well. Happy Holidays.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
I might've posted this before and forgotten about it, but I want to say how much I enjoy reading these columns. I was pissed when I first saw that the Escapist was running something like this because they usually end up being egotistical, narrow-minded and disgustingly offensive to one gender or the other (usually to both), but this is just...good advice and interesting to read. Keep it up.

(also, I can't help thinking of the forum posts the creep from the third message must make when he's not creeping. "Bawww, why do girls always date jerks? I'M SO SENSITIVE AND INTELLIGENT, WHY WON'T YOU FUCK ME?" He probably posts here.)

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Disagree. She's either into S&M or she isn't. If she is, it is easy to find out during the first romantic encounter, and if she isn't, then no amount of dates are going to change that. If such is an important part of your love life, you'll either have to find the right person, or be comfortable with cheating.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
First letter thinks they have it tough, try being a male *sub*.
I've never been quite sure how to bring it up either, to be honest. A bit harder in my corner, since I can't really slowly introduce someone's behavior towards me :p
Good article as always!

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Actually, I can give some advice to you, Maxwell.

You want to do some research on the internet on 'munches' in your area. A munch is a place where kinky people gather, have some drinks, talk, enjoy some food... but don't engage in any sort of play. It's kinda a meet and greet without the pressure of whips and chains.

For someone looking for others in the lifestyle, it's a great place to meet and network. Just be yourself. Don't put on your subbie pants and beg to be abused (it's a munch, that's defeating the purpose of a munch), but let people know who you are, and start engaging with the community.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Sometimes, I don't know how you come up with the advice for people, Lara. I'd draw up a big blank on the spot.

Dastardly said:
Nintendog:

What you've got is a guy who's played too many games. To him, you have no perspective of your own, you're just a game. If he enters the right sequence of moves, and executes those combos enough times, victory is assured. He does not see you as a person, he sees you as a game that can be won -- meaning you have no will of your own. If you're not with him yet, it just means he hasn't hit the right buttons or used the right strategy.

Cut him out of your life. For his good as much as yours, it needs to be a clean break. Make him aware that the problem is he doesn't respect your feelings or independence, so if he tries to "fight" you on this at all, he's only proving your point further. And then that's all. No further contact, no matter what.

That's actually a really good way of putting it.

Chevalier noir

Nov 21, 2011
MaxwellEdison said:
I've never been quite sure how to bring it up either, to be honest. A bit harder in my corner, since I can't really slowly introduce someone's behavior towards me :p
Good article as always!
Also a male sub over here, I got next to no clue how to go about finding the right partner.

DracoSuave said:

You want to do some research on the internet on 'munches' in your area. A munch is a place where kinky people gather, have some drinks, talk, enjoy some food... but don't engage in any sort of play. It's kinda a meet and greet without the pressure of whips and chains.

For someone looking for others in the lifestyle, it's a great place to meet and network. Just be yourself. Don't put on your subbie pants and beg to be abused (it's a munch, that's defeating the purpose of a munch), but let people know who you are, and start engaging with the community.
That sounds like a good idea, I've just been terrified of typing anything into google related to the fetish because....well its the internet.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
(also, I can't help thinking of the forum posts the creep from the third message must make when he's not creeping. "Bawww, why do girls always date jerks? I'M SO SENSITIVE AND INTELLIGENT, WHY WON'T YOU FUCK ME?" He probably posts here.)
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read it. I hope some of them read this column and see themselves in it.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
AbstractStream said:
Sometimes, I don't know how you come up with the advice for people, Lara. I'd draw up a big blank on the spot.

Dastardly said:
Nintendog:

That's actually a really good way of putting it.
In a different article Lara said almost the exact same thing, I think it was the one about nice guys, still good advice.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
DracoSuave said:

Huh. Interesting thought. Luckily, I've got a partner who I'm very happy with atm, but that's great for all the others out there!
I don't think I could do that though. Honestly, it seems a bit...awkward, to me to have a meet up based on that sort of thing. /shrug.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Good article this week, imo. Interesting read, especially that part on 'avoiding exit surveys'

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
The last letter clearly shows that its sender has a problem in the guy, but in her evidence she refers to him holding doors for her. Obviously all the other stuff is fairly dodgy, but opening doors, or more usually holding doors open for people is a common courtesy that I try to extend to people at all relevent times, regardless of whether I know them or even want to know them. Its not something that I would do specifically to try and impress a girl.

Hmm, have I ever posted on this blog before? Don't think so.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
MaxwellEdison said:
I think there are more doms out there, so being a sub should be easier. I don't think there are any subs without some dom tendencies, but there are plenty of doms that don't like being subs.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
capacollo said:
Dastardly said:
I think I enjoy reading Dastardly's comments just as much as Lara's. Almost like a post commentary. You guys give sound and unbiased advice in my opinion as well. Happy Holidays.
Me too. I reckon Dastardly could do just as good a job of this column as Lara does, and that's a compliment for both of them.

Oh, and yes, Happy Holidays.

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
If she's not answering your messages, take the hint. She doesn't want to talk to you. Ever.

I too don't understand why some people do that. Especially after a sustained relationship (see dating or friends).

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Good points, here, by both Lara and Dastardly. Dating isn't a QTE you can just keep trying over and over again. If one of you is not into it, there's very little that can be done to get that perspective to change. You could force the matter, which just brings it to a head, and that barely works. You could wait until she's self conscious about her age, and hope she settles for it, thinking it a last compromise for some long term goals.

Or, you know, you could realize that doing such things massively destroys any respect she has for you, thereby reducing whatever image of you she had. Best to just take things as they are, and find someone else to date.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
In regards to #2, fuck that. He deserves better than just being shut out like that.
Personally, I think it's pretty damn rude and cowardly to just cut yourself off from someone without saying anything or giving a reason. Unless the person's dangerous or a creeper, or abrupt disconnection is the only way to end it drama free, fucking say something. The person getting thrown by the wayside is going to assume they did something wrong, and if they can't tell what, leaving them hanging is only gonna lead to more pain for them. That'd be like coming to work one day only to find no one's talking to you and your desk is cleared out. It's a strong hint that you've been shit-canned without your knowledge, but being refused a reason as to why prevents that person from learning from any mistakes they might have made. It's rude, cowardly, and demoralizing.

But then again, I myself have never actually been on a date, so my perspective's a little limited.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
In regards to #3: Generally good advice, but I think theres one caveat.

Make sure youve told them that you dont like their behaviour, first.

There are quite a few people out there who "dont want to hurt peoples feelings", but use that excuse as a cover to not even bring up the issue at all with the person. If somebody is doing something you dont like then you tell them, clearly and plainly, "I dont like that behaviour. You need to stop."

If it continues, then you cut them out of your life.

Unfortunately it is more common than youd think for people to stress over an issue and wonder why it wont stop, without actually having taken any steps to bring it to anybody's attention. You have to summon up the courage to talk about the issue, regardless of shyness or wanting to not hurt peoples feelings.