Saw Writers Rewriting God of War Movie Script

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Saw Writers Rewriting God of War Movie Script

The screenwriting duo who penned four of the Saw sequels have been tapped to rewrite the God of War movie script.

Executive producer, David Self, a notable screenwriter in his own right, wrote the initial draft for Universal's upcoming God of War adaptation, but the studio has chosen Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to hammer out the kinks. The pair are known for writing Saw installments IV, V, VI and 3D, as well a handful of other horror scripts. Their mostly highly regarded film is 2006's Feast, which managed to reach the lofty heights of a 56 percent fresh rating [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/1173771-marcus_dunstan/] on Rotten Tomatoes.

The film is being produced by Charles Roven and Alex Garnter, both of whom are also working on a film adaptation of Naughty Dog's Uncharted. Rush Hour and X-Men: The Last Stand director, Brett Ratner, had previously been attached to the project, but it's unclear if he's still involved at this point.

There's no news on which actor will take a razor blade to the dome and cover themselves in talc in order to play perpetually-grumpy anti-hero, Kratos. Judging by previous efforts to bring videogames to the big screen with the care and attention their mythos demands, my money is on Shia LaBeouf.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/pacific-rim-writers-god-war-game-adaptation-347251]

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Apperently, Sony thought there wasn't enough gore in a God of War movie. Here is hoping for a scene in which Kratos gets "fixed".

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Don't call Saw a horror series. I don't want it getting its dirty peasant hands all over a good genre. I'm also pretty sure something has to be at least remotely scary to be considered horrifying.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Well, at least this news saved me the cost of a ticket. More money for games.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I hope they have roughly more money than exists on earth to make the CGI in this, also I hope they realize how dumb this is gonna be. Its just gonna be three hours of 'RAAAW ARRR GRAAAAW RAAAW' with mythical bodyparts cascading across the screen. Scenes separated perhaps with Kratos saying 'I cannot atone for what I have done... so lets do some more RAAAAW REEH GRAAAW RAAAW (splat)'

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Staring Vin Diesel
Whoops sorry that was me assuming any of the people associated with this film had a working brain cell.
Clearing the Eye said:
Don't call Saw a horror series. I don't want it getting its dirty peasant hands all over a good genre. I'm also pretty sure something has to be at least remotely scary to be considered horrifying.
I thought the first one was alright.
One of the few movies I got to watch with my dad. Good memories.

The first one was alright, but it had more holes than... something with lots of holes. I mean, the first thing that happens is a guy waking up underwater. How did he not drown?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Staring Vin Diesel
Whoops sorry that was me assuming any of the people associated with this film had a working brain cell.
Clearing the Eye said:
That's because the first one had decent writers. ;-)

The second one wasn't as good, and the third one was worse than that. Then the fourth one took a total dive. What changed between three and four?

Oh, right, the writers that they are about to use for God of War.

Well, to be fair, Saw as a concept barely works for the length of one movie. And then they stretch it out for... what? Seven? They didn't exactly have the best material to work with.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Never saw those Saw movies (stopped after the 2nd one), but i did enjoy Feast. Nice riff on the monster/siege genre.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'd rather see a God of War movie go the route of 300 than Saw. That's pretty much what I thought when I saw 300. "This is God of War in movie form." So, let's get the people involved with that on this. Then, it just MIGHT be good.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Saltyk said:
I'd rather see a God of War movie go the route of 300 than Saw. That's pretty much what I thought when I saw 300. "This is God of War in movie form." So, let's get the people involved with that on this. Then, it just MIGHT be good.
Zack Snyder's not going to stoop to a God of War movie.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Azuaron said:
Saltyk said:
A man can dream, can't he? I'd also like a trillion dollars and... Nah, I'd settle for a trillion dollars.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Clearing the Eye said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Staring Vin Diesel
Clearing the Eye said:
One of the few movies I got to watch with my dad. Good memories.

The first one was alright, but it had more holes than... something with lots of holes. I mean, the first thing that happens is a guy waking up underwater. How did he not drown?
Well if you remember the twist at the end, Saw could have only just placed him there and the water woke him up.
Very doubtful. Put him in the water and fake your own death in the middle of the room before the guy takes a single breath?

This humorous video is relevant:

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
Ne1butme said:
Never saw those Saw movies (stopped after the 2nd one), but i did enjoy Feast. Nice riff on the monster/siege genre.
Feast is one of the best campy horror flicks of all time. Although I can't see how the irreverant tone of that script could translate over to this project... unless they are going to cast Henry Rollins as Kratos?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Azuaron said:
Saltyk said:
He made Sucker Punch, didn't he?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Azuaron said:
Saltyk said:
He made Sucker Punch, didn't he?
I'm not saying Zack Snyder only makes good movies (although, Sucker Punch was a lot better than many people give it credit for). Sucker Punch was his movie that he had to fight to get made, and the studio finally let him do it after the success of Watchmen.

What he doesn't do is make cash-grab movies, especially now that he has the cred from Watchmen.