Say Good Bye To Greenland? NASA Says It's Melting Much Too Fast

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Say Good Bye To Greenland? NASA Says It's Melting Much Too Fast

NASA scientists studying the ice covering Greenland is melting much, much faster than previously thought.

There has been just a bit too much positive, all a leftist conspiracy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142604-Paper-Officially-Confirm-Flowing-Salt-Water-on-Mars#&gid=gallery_4770&pid=1]. Thankfully, the space agency is here to bring us down again with some depressing news about the state of Greenland's dwindling ice shelf.

It's common knowledge that melting ice sheets and glaciers, particularly in Greenland and Antarctica, are contributing to a slowly rising sea level. In fact, if all of Greenland's frozen fresh water were to melt, global sea levels could rise by about 23 feet. It would be terrible if all that ice were to be melting about as fast as a stick of butter in a microwave, wouldn't it?

Now, environmental scientists sent to study the effects of global climate change on Greenland are reporting that its meltdown is occurring much, much faster than previously imagined. Hard numbers are few on the ground right now - NASA does not want to make an estimate on how many years Canada's second-favorite neighbor has left until more information has been procured.

The video they produced goes into detail on how the science works out:

The one takeaway NASA hopes people take from all this is simple: OMG. As we all know, OMG stands for Ocean Melting Greenland, the name of a new 5-year project that will rigorously study the problem from every corner of the island, whether by boat, plane, or seal-driven sled.

It isn't all bad news, from a certain perspective. There are right next door [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142003-The-Drinkable-Book-Its-Water-Filtering-Pages-Could-Save-Billions-of-Lives]. It's just going to be rough for those of us living along a coast, by a river, on an island...

Source: NASA [http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2015/28aug_greenland/]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
When I was 8 or 9 years old, and Global Warming said the world would be flooded over by 2010, I had the insane idea of rebuilding the polar caps by dumping liquid nitrogen in the water.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So I clicked on the hyperlink that said the water on Mars was a conspiracy because I wanted to know who thought that.

And...I'm not surprised in the slightest, but come on. Does this guy believe in anything that doesn't come out of his butt? Like, seriously, NASA finding water on Mars is a conspiracy for him? I don't even...it's scary that people listen to this guy and take him seriously. You could probably throw him into a lake on Mars and he still wouldn't believe it.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
I mean, we are all aware that Greenland isn't 100% ice right? Even if all the ice melts, it'd still be there, with some of its cities (minus the coastal ones affected by the rising sea).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Shadefyre said:
I mean, we are all aware that Greenland isn't 100% ice right? Even if all the ice melts, it'd still be there, with some of its cities (minus the coastal ones affected by the rising sea).
Hush you! Stop breaking the illusion!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Silentpony said:
Shadefyre said:
Hush you! Stop breaking the illusion!
I'll see your illusion and raise you a reference!

I hope they're bottling that water. 'Drink Greenland!'

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Incidentally aside from the effect of rising sea levels there is a possibility that an extremely large chunk of Green Land that was once inhospitable territory will now be very much the opposite meaning that there will be new land for many of the refugee's misplaced by flooding of coastal areas (as shitty a mess as I know that will be). In any event there is little that we can do about it now, and one consistent and undeniable theme about climate change is that the goal posts keep moving. We take all these precautions to counter-act these environmental problems and in the process we end up causing different environmental problems. The personal computer was supposed to save paper because we wouldn't have to retype an entire letter if we made some mistakes, however now we print something 30 times often to fix the tiniest errors. Cars were supposed to cut down on the methane produced by streets being over crowded with horses shitting all over the place and how did that turn out? We need not only to look at the potential new sources of energy for instance, but how much resources is required to tap that source. Ethanol was a good example where, sure we could create fuel but the amount of corn, land and man power to produce that fuel was so impractical in relation to gasoline that there is no possible way this could have worked as a long term solution.

The point is, lets not be gleeful or gloomy, but lets just treat this as it what it is.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Unrelated to Greenland, but Rush Limbug doesn't see why flowing water on another planet is exciting?
Liquid water is required for what we know as life. If Mars has flowing water now, that possibly means it has life now, if not in the past.
Or does he consider aliens unexciting too?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Creator002 said:
Unrelated to Greenland, but Rush Limbug doesn't see why flowing water on another planet is exciting?
Liquid water is required for what we know as life. If Mars has flowing water now, that possibly means it has life now, if not in the past.
He's an idiot. And quite possibly mentally deranged. He lives in his little idiot world surrounded by other idiots who listen to him.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Water level rise isnt the worst of our troubles here. its the temperature change in water currents related to dumping this much fresh water in them. have fun having tundra for europe.

008Zulu said:
When I was 8 or 9 years old, and Global Warming said the world would be flooded over by 2010, I had the insane idea of rebuilding the polar caps by dumping liquid nitrogen in the water.
even the worst prediction i saw only claimed multiple meters of water rise and not the world being flooded (do note that over 70% of worlds population live on coast and would have to move).

Shadefyre said:
Considering that greenland population is almost entirely coastal [http://randallharlow.com/images/Map-Large.jpg] that would be quite a thing. also worth noting that over 70% of world population is coastal. All major cities are on coasts. even a 7 meter water rise would be disastrous to most countries in the world.

Kameburger said:
The personal computer was supposed to save paper because we wouldn't have to retype an entire letter if we made some mistakes, however now we print something 30 times often to fix the tiniest errors. Cars were supposed to cut down on the methane produced by streets being over crowded with horses shitting all over the place and how did that turn out? We need not only to look at the potential new sources of energy for instance, but how much resources is required to tap that source. Ethanol was a good example where, sure we could create fuel but the amount of corn, land and man power to produce that fuel was so impractical in relation to gasoline that there is no possible way this could have worked as a long term solution.

The point is, lets not be gleeful or gloomy, but lets just treat this as it what it is.
you do realize that if we were to print all that we type on computers the world would not have enough trees in it to make into paper? also dont know who the hell reprints things 30 times instead of checking for errors inside the computer but he needs to stop. Also cards were certainly not invented because there was too much horse shit but because they were a much better way to travel.

Actually bio-diesel is very viable and already in use technology that technically is Co2 neutral (production uses the same amount of Co2 was the usage produces later on). it has different problems of course but nowhere near as bad as the ones it solves.

and you know why the goalposts keep shifting? because we are actually doing shit to fix the problems. if the coal burning was not decreased we may have been under water now. if the ozone erosion wasnt stopped we may be cooking now. but they were by the effort of humans and thus the projections change.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Greenland was named that because there was less ice on it when it was first settled back in 986 than there is today when the 'little ice age' hit in the 1300's that was when it became the ice covered land we know today.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Creator002 said:
He makes his living being pissed off (in addition to being a stuck up self righteous ****). He can't ever be happy about anything. He needs to feed his audience that wants to be pissed off at the left, logic be damned.

I have to listen to the fuck everytime my dad drives me home from school, trust me, I'm more familiar with him than I'd like to be.

OT: Well...great. Here's hoping green energy can take off without too many people throwing a fit about left wing conspiracies.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I wonder how many degrees we have to heat up to also significantly increase rain. You'd think this means that more and more water from the ocean would evaporate into clouds for example. Are we liable to become a rain-world before temperatures heat up too much?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, yet another unavoidable event that we are going to have to face. Hardly seems like news at this point, does it.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
The Greenhouse Effect is a frightening thing, true; but facts remain facts, and one of them is that Greenland is just that: land. It is most assuredly not melting; that would require enormous volcanic activity. The ice on it is melting, revealing the land it's covered for the past thousand years. This is really more like "Say Hello to Greenland, which is going to become much more habitable" (as much of the rest of the world goes to hell).

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Ya know, I did have a post that pointed out a few facts that people overlook, but what's the point? A believer is a believer, and people wed their ideas more faithful their spouses, no matter how poorly they're treated or how many lies they're told.

So forget it.

May 28, 2015
Not the last best hope for humanity anymore, are you?! [http://wolfsgamingblog.com/2014/09/06/plague-inc-evolved-preview-proving-greenland-is-the-place-to-be-when-the-world-is-dying/]