Say Hello to Baby Dovahkiin

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
This kid is going to grow up being awesome. Besides, people have been named far more nerdily.

Like Mr Batman.

Aaand...we've officially found someone who can actually say the phrase 'I'm Batman!' in all seriousness. Seriously, that is all kinds of awesome.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Kids are incredibly cruel, I know from personal experience they will seize on any and every aspect to rip into you about. In this situation the name is a boon, not only does it give the little bastards a big target that he can not care about them focusing on, but it will forever give him an air of mystery and at worst a really, really awesome name. These aren't bad parents, especially if you compare this to what some parents name their child because they genuinely think it's a good idea.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
I don't think that this will have that bad of an impact on the kid. It's a bit silly, sure, but there are far worse things to be named. And at least he will never have another kid with the same name as him in class. Unless...

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
...........................FUCK!!! DID THIS ACTUALLY HAPPEN? FOR THE LOVE OF G-D PEOPLE, ITS A CHILD, NOT A FUCKING PET YOU CAN TREAT LIKE YOUR LITTLE TICKET TO FILLING OUT YOUR NERD FANTASIES!!!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Wait, what is with the bully posts? Why would he be bullied?

By the time he gets to kindergarden, 4-5 years will have passed. 4-5 year olds don't play Skyrim and they'll think it's a Serbian name or something. "Dovahkiin" is exotic, but it isn't something like naming your kid "Megatron" or "Darth Vader".

When he gets to Elementary school, kids still won't be playing Skyrim. I doubt people in grades 2-6 would play an old RPG they'll probably never have heard of.

When he gets to Highschool, Skyrim will be so far behind him that only a few hardcore RPG enthusiasts/nerds will give him a wink or a nudge and talk about how cool it is. While everyone else just knows him as "That kid who sounds like he's from Serbia". I don't see any of the logic you guys are presenting, he's not going to be bullied at all.

Furthermore, people criticizing the parents think they're doing this for the free swag. They're not, they're probably doing it because they're diehard fans.

It's no different than having a video game themed wedding or investing geek culture into any other part of your life. Although this is a bit extreme.
this is more or less what i was thinking.

odd name yes, will it be an issue? probably not, hell, might even get the bastard laid when he's older by virtue of having a badass name

Olivia Faraday

Mar 30, 2011
This might be child abuse. Naming your child something guaranteed to give them a lifetime of epic embarrassment so you can get free games. Hrm ...

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Here's hoping you grow up to thank your parents for the gravel in your guts and the spit in your eye
Lol.

Anyway, one [http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2595831/Odd-names-turn-boys-bad] study [http://www.livescience.com/7679-boys-unpopular-names-break-law.html] says that children with normal names grow up to be law abiding citizens, and children with odd names are more likely to commit felonies, so I don't know that this was a great idea, but that's obviously not a given, so more power to you.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Herr Uhl said:
Jumplion said:
Okay, seriously guys, I really don't get why everyone is saying how horrible this is for the kid. Dovahkiin is an awesome name! Sounds russianese or something. Shorten it to Dovah, Kin, Dov, Kane maybe, or just call him by his last name or hell just go all out and call him Dragon-Born.

I really don't see the horribleness of all this, there are certainly worse names to give your kid like "Fucker" or "Hitler".
The main bad thing is that their motivation for naming the kid was free games. It is basically like naming him Pepsi to get an endorsement deal.
If they weren't already big fans of the games, they probably wouldn't have done it just for the free games. It's like naming your kid after someone/something special near and dear to you, and if that happens to be Bethesda's games, then so be it. There are certainly worse names that they could have gone with.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Shark Wrangler said:
hey well that is a bit extreme and I never understood the point of congratulating people on having kids. Okay lets break it down on what we are patting people on the back for. Walked over to your girlfriend and got on top of her. Went to town on her and got her pregnant. Okay and 9 months later she gave birth to a baby. You gave the baby a name set it up with all the paperwork. Like to think that I am not the only person on the planet that doesn't see having babies as a skill. Do know this seems kind of mean, but it would be like shaking my hand and telling me I am a great person because I have the ability to swallow food.
...only making a baby, and the whole 9 month process of childbearing/child-rearing is a bit more complicated than masticating food.

PottymouthGamer

Aug 9, 2011
"Johnathan Andres, Carlos Harrington, um... how do you pronounce your name?"
"Doe-vah-keen"
"Is that foeriegn?
"Yeah... It's Nordic..."
"Oh. Let's go with Tom."

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
As grown-up gamers (more or less), it's easy to say that this is an awesome name and the kid is lucky to have it. It's different when you're actually a five-year-old kid trying to deal with it. I hope it works out for the kid, that all his friends think the name is as awesome as most of us do and that when people ask him about it, he's able to tell them with a straight face that it's Nord - the old tongue, of course.

I also think the idea that it'll end up shortened to "Dave" is hilarious. Dave the dragon-slayer.

If I was this kid, once I was old enough, I'd carrying around a digital recording of Max von Sydow saying "Dovahkiin" wherever I went. "What's your name?"

"DOVAHKIIN!"

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
Olivia Faraday said:
This might be child abuse. Naming your child something guaranteed to give them a lifetime of epic embarrassment so you can get free games. Hrm ...
go out into the street and ask the first 10 people you see where they think the name "Dovahkiin" comes from. I doubt anyone would get.

OT: think if he became a doctor
"Dr. Dovahkiin will see you now"
with his healing hands

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Frost27 said:
The news headlines will be interesting.

"Child shouts down bullies on school playground, 6 dead"
pure win man, that is pure win.

Also rather odd name, but eh i seen worse...

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
now if only they can keep the reason from him till he is old enough to play the game he's gonna freak out when the gray beards shout his name O_O.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
It's really not that terrible a name. There are some easy ways to shorten it and the kid could always change it later, especially if they were given a middle name.

The only awkward thing I can see here is the kid knowing that the reason they have the name isn't necessarily just that the parents like it, but that they wanted to win a contest. That's sort of fucked up. And it's sort of fucked up for Bethesda to promote that.

Certainly they might have named the kid something similar already, but the contest probably had an effect and it's always going to leave a creepy nagging feeling that they did it at least partially for the swag, even if they didn't.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
As grown-up gamers (more or less), it's easy to say that this is an awesome name and the kid is lucky to have it. It's different when you're actually a five-year-old kid trying to deal with it. I hope it works out for the kid, that all his friends think the name is as awesome as most of us do and that when people ask him about it, he's able to tell them with a straight face that it's Nord - the old tongue, of course.

I also think the idea that it'll end up shortened to "Dave" is hilarious. Dave the dragon-slayer.

If I was this kid, once I was old enough, I'd carrying around a digital recording of Max von Sydow saying "Dovahkiin" wherever I went. "What's your name?"

"DOVAHKIIN!"
Eh, but at the same time the way it sounds at least makes it seem like a significant name. It's easily shortened (Dov, David, whatever), and off the top of my head I can't think of any real insults that could be made of it. If kids make fun of him, let it be for the content of his character, not the characters in his name. Hell, just say it's Nordic and relate yourself to kickass vikings, that'll give you some immunity.

I mean, I have a pretty odd name myself, at least to Americans, and I've never really gotten too much flak for it at all. Personal anecdote, sure, but still. Then again, much of my school is populated by people from foreign decent, so it might not be too odd here. I also think we are overestimating the cruelty of children in this situation, to the point where we think that all kids do is think of names to insult people with "asshole" in it ("Hey, fagakiin! How you like your dragons?" or "Yo, dovahpussy, you're stupid!" or something)

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
At least his name's not Porschequa.
I knew a girl named Porschequa, and no one gave her any crap for it. I mean, if people can make up names like THAT, I don't see Dovahkiin as being too terrible. Sure, it's on the shorter end of the stick, but at least you're named after a badass.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Boy is that kid gonna get a shock when he Google's his own name out of sheer boredom one day...

Seriously in 4-5 years who's gonna still be playing Skyrim? I mean, Elder Scrolls 6 will be out by then!

And he's been blessed with an all purpose perfect conversation starter, "so, you wanna know with my name means? It's pretty sweet."

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
I hope I meet this kid when he is around 9. I shall where a brown hooded robe covering my face in a shadow and step out of one myself.

I will bow to him and say

"Greetings Dovahkiin"

He will wonder how I know his name, to which I will reply.

"You are Dovahkiin, Dragon Born in the dragon language"

He will be amazed at such awesomeness, and in his amazement I will say.

"Great things await you Dovahkiin, You will achieve your destiny"

I will then slither into the shadows without another word.....I just made someones life awesome.