Say hello to the new Iron Woman

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2020
414
242
48
Country
United States
http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-williams-tony-stark/


Now I have been around the block when it comes to the internet so I have decent idea how this will play out and I assure I am not trying to start something.

But I will address the elephant in the room. How does she stop helmet hair their is a logistics problem here that was very overlooked.
 

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
6,438
0
0
Yah... the hair seems to stretch the suspension of disbelief, doesn't it? Which is saying something, considering this is a damn comic book.

Besides that, I'll get my opinion on the other thing in before it inevitably starts - Iron Man is actually a prime example of a character that's not only begging for a character replacement, but which perfectly makes sense, especially with the ongoing Civil War II thingie I've heard about. Iron Man is, quite literally, a mantle, not a person - No tomfoolry required to replace, just need to resize the suit.

All that being said, I'm cheerfully for the arguments that this is a bad thing because it doesn't make sense internally.
 

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
1,237
0
0
Changing characters depends on how it's done and not what's the race and/or gender of the characters. Just from the brief description of the transition, I would have no problem with it. It seems like they are taking a page out of the Captain America transition from Steve Rogers to Sam Wilson. It's just passing the mantle to someone else.
 

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
8,411
15
23
Ok, well, passing out Iron Man suits isn't new (War Machine, Rescue aka Pepper Potts, Scarlet Spider) but why does Tony need to be...replaced? Let her be Iron Woman, give her a suit, even if its clearly pandering, but why does Tony need to stand down?

This isn't like Spider-Man or Ms. Marvel, so I'm not going to flip out like I usually do, but it is a bit on the nose with the clear history of over-progressiveness. Is she a lesbian too?

"?Why do we need Riri Williams we already have Miles?? that?s a weird thing to say. They?re individuals just like Captain America and Cyclops are individuals."

Then treat them like individuals and stop relying on established characters and aliases and let these new characters stand on their own. Id be down for more black/female/gay/trans characters, but let them be new original characters. I don't want a race/gender swapped mirror image of the Avengers, but that's what you are doing. Captain America (Though Falcon taking over I am actually 100% fine with cause he earned it and stood as his own character since the 70s), Iron Woman, Arab teen Ms.Marvel, black Spider-Man (Miles), X-23, female Thor (though learning that its Jane is more ok, but her refusal to cure her cancer is dumb). I'm guessing Hulk and Hawkeye are next.

When X-Men's original cast got replaced by an intentionally diverse new group, they were their own characters. They didn't turn Beast or Cyclops into women, or Jean black. They instead gave us Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus.

I'm fine with diversity, but I'm not fine with shitty writing and shitty character development, or lack of it.
 

PapaGreg096

New member
Oct 12, 2013
1,037
0
0
Saelune said:
Ok, well, passing out Iron Man suits isn't new (War Machine, Rescue aka Pepper Potts, Scarlet Spider) but why does Tony need to be...replaced? Let her be Iron Woman, give her a suit, even if its clearly pandering, but why does Tony need to stand down?

This isn't like Spider-Man or Ms. Marvel, so I'm not going to flip out like I usually do, but it is a bit on the nose with the clear history of over-progressiveness. Is she a lesbian too?

"?Why do we need Riri Williams we already have Miles?? that?s a weird thing to say. They?re individuals just like Captain America and Cyclops are individuals."

Then treat them like individuals and stop relying on established characters and aliases and let these new characters stand on their own. Id be down for more black/female/gay/trans characters, but let them be new original characters. I don't want a race/gender swapped mirror image of the Avengers, but that's what you are doing. Captain America (Though Falcon taking over I am actually 100% fine with cause he earned it and stood as his own character since the 70s), Iron Woman, Arab teen Ms.Marvel, black Spider-Man (Miles), X-23, female Thor (though learning that its Jane is more ok, but her refusal to cure her cancer is dumb). I'm guessing Hulk and Hawkeye are next.

When X-Men's original cast got replaced by an intentionally diverse new group, they were their own characters. They didn't turn Beast or Cyclops into women, or Jean black. They instead gave us Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus.

I'm fine with diversity, but I'm not fine with shitty writing and shitty character development, or lack of it.
Because unfournetly black spiderman sells better than the Runaways
 

Jux

Donald Trump is a racist
Sep 2, 2012
866
0
0
From the article:

Some of the comments online, I don?t think people even realize how racist they sound. I?m not saying if you criticize you?re a racist, but if someone writes, ?Why do we need Riri Williams we already have Miles?? that?s a weird thing to say. They?re individuals just like Captain America and Cyclops are individuals. All I can do is state my case for the character, and maybe they?ll realize over time that that?s not the most progressive thinking.
Yup.

inu-kun said:
Also, "Riri is a science genius who enrolls in MIT at the age of 15. She comes to the attention of Tony when she builds her own Iron Man suit in her dorm. " Dear lord the amount of mary sue in 2 sentences.
A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue] Say hello to probably like.... 7 out of 10 comic book characters.
 

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
579
0
0
inu-kun said:
Also, "Riri is a science genius who enrolls in MIT at the age of 15. She comes to the attention of Tony when she builds her own Iron Man suit in her dorm. " Dear lord the amount of mary sue in 2 sentences.
I'd say it's far too soon to say if the character is a Mary Sue or not considering we have so little information about her, she might very well have flaws that balance out her admittedly Sue-like background.

Jux said:
From the article:

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue] Say hello to probably like.... 7 out of 10 comic book characters.
Eh, I'm not sure I'd agree, the vast majority of comic book characters have enough flaws not to fit into the definition of a Sue/Stu.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
I eagerly await the storm of angry comments about how this is PC gone mad and Iron Man is perfect the way he is and anyway Man is in his name so how can he possibly be a woman.

Did I say "eagerly"? Oh. I meant "disappointingly".
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
Uuuhhh.

You know at this point the obvious panda-throwing to Tumblr in a desperate effort not to be trending the next day on Twitter is getting kinda' old. And the worst part is none of the people they're trying to appeal don't actually read comics. Otherwise they'd know comic continuity and characters are about as solid and consistent as gender-fluid water.

I mean look what happened when they pulled that 'female Thor' shenanigans. Nothing. Nothing happened. Talk show hosts gabbed for a day and a half, no one read the comics, and then it turns out she's not really Thor.

Though I guess we should be glad she's not a dog to appeal to the PETA people again. Woof.

Also how is the fact they gave her an afro not racist? That's African America caricature shit.
 

ThatOtherGirl

New member
Jul 20, 2015
364
0
0
inu-kun said:
Also, "Riri is a science genius who enrolls in MIT at the age of 15. She comes to the attention of Tony when she builds her own Iron Man suit in her dorm. " Dear lord the amount of mary sue in 2 sentences.
Iron Man invented a new type of mega awesome super reactor that could fit in the palm of his hand and built an iron man suit in a cave, both from spare parts of missiles while under the direct supervision and close scrutiny of terrorists.

I mean, come on. enrolling in MIT at 15 and building an iron man suit in a dorm room is hardly a unusual feat for the superhero super science types.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,897
118
Jarrito3001 said:
http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-williams-tony-stark/


Now I have been around the block when it comes to the internet so I have decent idea how this will play out and I assure I am not trying to start something.

But I will address the elephant in the room. How does she stop helmet hair their is a logistics problem here that was very overlooked.
She ties the hair down with a scrunchy like everyone else when she's getting into the suit. I doubt it's going to overtax the artists to simply draw her with different hairstyles, one for in the suit, one for when she's just being herself. Women do that kind of stuff all the time.

ThatOtherGirl said:
inu-kun said:
Also, "Riri is a science genius who enrolls in MIT at the age of 15. She comes to the attention of Tony when she builds her own Iron Man suit in her dorm. " Dear lord the amount of mary sue in 2 sentences.
Iron Man invented a new type of mega awesome super reactor that could fit in the palm of his hand and built an iron man suit in a cave, both from spare parts of missiles while under the direct supervision and close scrutiny of terrorists.

I mean, come on. enrolling in MIT at 15 and building an iron man suit in a dorm room is hardly a unusual feat for the superhero super science types.
Not only that, but she reverse engineered one of his suits which is a hell of a lot easier than trying to make one from scratch. Hell that's what Jeff Bridge's character did in the first Iron Man movie, his only limiting factor really was the power source.

OT: I'm highly interested in this. As I've said any time this kind of topic comes up, I'm a huge fan of legacy stories, so I'm all over this shit. Hopefully the writing will be good, and not really lame and cliche like FemThor was. If it's on par with the origin arc for Miles Morales, I'll enjoy the hell out of it. Hope it works out well.
 

Exley97_v1legacy

New member
Jul 9, 2014
217
0
0
shrekfan246 said:
I eagerly await the storm of angry comments about how this is PC gone mad and Iron Man is perfect the way he is and anyway Man is in his name so how can he possibly be a woman.

Did I say "eagerly"? Oh. I meant "disappointingly".
Guys guys guys....what is *really* disappointing is that I'm the first person to post this clip here. Sad!

 

Jux

Donald Trump is a racist
Sep 2, 2012
866
0
0
Sonmi said:
Eh, I'm not sure I'd agree, the vast majority of comic book characters have enough flaws not to fit into the definition of a Sue/Stu.
Literally all we know about this new character is that shes a smart young black woman. If he can label her a mary sue based on that, you can just as easily apply the label wholesale.
 

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Moderator
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
7,132
71
53
Country
🇬🇧
Gender
♂
Silentpony said:
Also how is the fact they gave her an afro not racist? That's African America caricature shit.
Showing one stereotypical trait isn't anything to consider racist, plenty of real black people do have afros. Now on the other hand if she was also eating a watermelon and some fried chicken, then you might have a problem...
 

Jux

Donald Trump is a racist
Sep 2, 2012
866
0
0
As much as I'm liking the more diverse cast, let's get more diverse writers and artists too.
 

Parasondox

New member
Jun 15, 2013
3,229
0
0
"Fans" and users of the internet are going to be pissed arent they? They are already pissed? Sadly, nothing new.