Say One Thing About The Country You Live In

acolyte

Nov 20, 2010
Ok...suprised that none of my countrymen have posted here yet.

Romania

Known for:...obviously Dracula, also gymnastics.

The bad: Corruption and a lower income for the average citizen than in the West.

The good: Hey, at least we're doing better than our neighboring countries Ukraine, Bulgaria and Serbia...imo anyway.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
America. It's more fun to talk about your home state though, since they're all pretty unique, so...

Oklahoma!

We're an awfully nice and hospitable bunch, even if our politics are about as conservative as you can rationally get. Oklahoma City is experiencing something of a Renaissance right now, being one of the only cities to actually thrive during the economic downturn. Our weather is random as hell, and tries really hard to kill you every spring with swirling vortexes of doom. True Okies find this to be a mild inconvenience rather than terrifying. We are incredibly proud of our basketball team (even if the way it ended up here makes us feel really uncomfortable...), especially since it gives OKC an image besides, "Oh, that's the place where the worst domestic terrorist attack in US history happened."

Speaking on that, the 1995 bombing has given the OKC community a sense of unity and collectivism that often seems to run contrary to our conservatism. The renovations that sparked our economic turnaround were the result of a voluntary tax on every dollar spent. Yeah. Conservatives voting for more taxes. And we've revoted for that tax every year since it first began.

Humility is the name of the game here. We leave arrogance to our neighbors in Texas.

That's definitely more than one thing, but hey. I like it here.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011

Fun fact: When the Anglo-Normans were invading Wales in the 12th century, Welsh archers using longbows took a heavy toll on the attackers. When Wales was finally conquered, Welsh longbowmen would appear in English armies and would be the reason why a windy, wet island off the coast of France was able to become a respected European power.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
Info: I don't like living in the UK. They constantly tease French people, which kinda fucks me over
Hey, it goes both ways. We get mocked when we pop over to France, and you get mocked when you come over here. The difference is that you can usually tell when you're being mocked, yet we can't, on account of being shit at languages.

Also, how well known is Wales in France? Is it just a place you've heard about, or is it basically as hidden as Narnia?

Oct 22, 2011
Poland

Pointless fact: It's pretty flat.

Polarni said:
OT:

Pointless information: The best thing I can say about my country is (sadly) that almost every army that has rampaged through Europe in the last 500 years has at some point gone over our territory (raping, pillaging, stealing,... you name it - we had it) -.-
Ooh, that also applies to Poland. Come to think of it; my pointless fact may have something to do with it.

captcha: "miles to go" ...and no terrain obstacles. Yep.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
AnarchistFish said:
Info: I don't like living in the UK. They constantly tease French people, which kinda fucks me over
Hey, it goes both ways. We get mocked when we pop over to France, and you get mocked when you come over here.
Yeah but I live here so I get it permanently and I'm half english anyway.

Da Orky Man said:
The difference is that you can usually tell when you're being mocked, yet we can't, on account of being shit at languages.
I love being multilingual

Da Orky Man said:
Also, how well known is Wales in France? Is it just a place you've heard about, or is it basically as hidden as Narnia?
I'd say France is pretty indifferent towards Wales tbh. French people love Scotland though, for some reason

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Northern Ireland! Or just "Ireland"! England doesn't do much to do with us any more.

Information: Don't worry, we'll find something to fight about!

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
Fun fact: There is a very good chance we have either a)invaded or b) owned your country. We are a very violent people who have invaded 90% of the countries on earth and are the most successful war faring nation too. Also we invented lots of stuff like tanks and Australia.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
I live in the United States and because I love nature and the outdoors so much I am going to have to say that my country has an amazing number and variety of different ecological zones and geography.

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
Canada.

Shockingly, despite our reputation, Southern Ontario is quite warm. Most of the snow we've gotten recently has been washed away by rain or melted by the increasingly common >0° temperatures. THIS COUNTRY IS SUPPOSED TO BE COLD, DAMN IT! WHERES THE SNOW?!?

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
The following piece of information from QI made me feel proud to call myself British, although if we are going to get into specifics Im English.

"- XL Tangent: During the Second World War American army camps in Britain were racially segregated, but the British were opposed to it. When the Americans insisted on segregated pubs the British refused. When white Americans came in and saw black Americans drinking in a bar they would start fights and the British fought alongside the black Americans. Ronni then talks about US propaganda films showing a white US soldier and a black US soldier meeting an old British lady and invites both of them around for tea, so the film prepared soldiers for the non-racist treatment the British gave to American soldiers."

Treating people with respect isn't really a big acomplishment but the fact that our behaviour back then was so different to that of America's, another of the major centres of civilisation and culture of the day (and now very likely the driving force behind much of the culture the west (or at least the UK, I can't speak for other nations)) creates a kind of contrast which actually makes me feel proud of Britain's outlook back then.

On the other hand my brother has been doing some sort of research project for his history homework recently and has told me that the British empire were the first to use concentration camps.