Say One Thing About The Country You Live In

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Australia...

...where it's considered acceptable for a new game to cost $120, even digitally.

Also, we ride kangaroos regularly and even have little lanes alongside the cars just for kangaroos. Children start out with wallabies.

loudmadman

Nov 22, 2011
Australia.

In the area I live, if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes
(Also, we eat kangaroo meat. Yes, I know, that's two things, but I wanted to say this fact too)

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
USA

Fact: Jingoistic assholes are in the firm minority here, despite what the media and random people on the internet seem to think.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Little Fact: If you want to have a boring trip that goes on for 2 days (if you drive for around 10 hours a day) Drive through the Nullabour Desert, two days of a practically straight road (there are luckily campsites along this road however)

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
New Zealand

Not a single member of our wildlife is deadly to humans. We are essentially the exact opposite of Australia. Nothing here wants to kill you.

No wolves. No bears. No large cats of any kind. Our most deadly creature is a spider (which is so rare is might as well be endangered) and even then it's unlikely to kill an adult.

There USED to be creatures here that would end your days: the moa - think the emus of Australia but about 3x the size. The native Maori saw to them though, adopting Alfred's method of hunting: burning down the damn forest.

sta697

Mar 31, 2011
greece.the thing that everyone in the news talks about the last six years,my generation is wasted if we dont immigrate with current unemployment levels,well we still have the sun.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
England - We're extraordinarily accepting of people from other countries coming into ours...unless they're white.

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
4RM3D said:
SuperSamio64 said:
England: We're just sad because the rest of the UK (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Mann and technically Cornwall) won't let us join their fancy 'Celtic' club. Some of us are a bit celtic too! A bit! Honest! We have Stonehenge!

EDIT: Ok, the Isle of Mann is in Britain but not the UK, and vice versa for Northern Ireland/Ulster. I had to say one or the other.
That gives me an excuse to post this awesome video about the UK.

That was extremely useful. Thank you. Not entirely sure about everyone hating each other, but that was great.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Mordekaien said:
Someone from my country! No way!
Internet sure is a small place.

Mordekaien said:
We are also in Europe.
Yes, when people look at central Europe, they tend to have blind spot between Hungary and Poland.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Latinidiot said:
Also, we were the first republic since Rome fell
? I know the word republic is a broad term, but that's not true. There were several republics since Rome fell. The Dutch Republic was established in 1581, while there was Republic of Venice [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Venice] (establish late 600s), Genoa [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Genoa] (1000s), Florence [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Florence] (1100s), & Novgorod [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Republic] (1100s) as some examples. Yay, useless information!

OT: Amurica

The populace really does think "We won World War 2 all by ourselves" and can name Mexico and maybe Canada on a world map, Russia and China if you're lucky. Have fun getting the average person to name any other of " all those other countries[footnote]You know, the rest of the world.[/footnote]". Hell, It's surprising that most people know what country we declared independence from.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Info: I don't like living in the UK. They constantly tease French people, which kinda fucks me over

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The United States of America

Something about the U.S.A: We are a very contrary bunch of people, making laws that force restaurants to show calories in bold, block capitols while debating whether or not to ban large soft drinks while at the same time working to find new and exciting ways to deep-fry hitherto un-fry-able things. I think the last new thing I heard of was Deep Fried Soda;

This being after I hear of Deep Fried beer and, ice cream.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
HyRock said:
Estonia:

Our minimum wages is 290? minus taxes
Old Father Eternity said:
HyRock said:
There are more, that makes at least five then.

Gate to Europe, it was once called, put us in very nasty position.
Friendly hello to fellow Baltic brethren.

Latvia:

One of our guys with the help of our Pagan Gods made the Coral Castle you got there in the US of A.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
AngloDoom said:
England - We're extraordinarily accepting of people from other countries coming into ours...unless they're white.
This is so so true. Ties in with what I said, basically.

Wintermute said:
Would love to go to Brazil. If I were to ever live in South America it would be Brazil or Chile, not sure which.

Scde2 said:
The populace really does think "We won World War 2 all by ourselves" and can name Mexico and maybe Canada on a world map, Russia and China if you're lucky. Have fun getting the average person to name any other of " all those other countries[footnote]You know, the rest of the world.[/footnote]". Hell, It's surprising that most people know what country we declared independence from.
Lol wow

Doesn't really surprise me though. Despite people saying they're just stereotypes, almost every time I've met an American they've been upheld.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
Eleuthera said:
bauke67 said:
Eleuthera said:
Netherlands:

We (well, our predecessor country the United Proivinces) were the first country to formally aknowledge the United States as an independant country. We did so by accident... but it still counts
Netherlands:
We were the second country to formally recognize the United States. The French were actually first.
We were both wrong :D

Ragusa was the first, followed by Morocco and the United Provinces were third. It took the French a few years actually.
Haha, oops, I suspect some of my friends may not get a very good grade on history, but I did not know that.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
MorganL4 said:
I want to hear about how you accidentally recognized us...
Here's a link: http://www.americanheritage.com/content/first-official-salute-american-flag

The way I heard it, the governor of St.Eustasius (a Dutch colony), didn't recognise the flag of the warship coming into it's harbor and firing an 11-shot salute to the Dutch flag. In response he fired a return salute just to be sure. Thereby 'recognising' the Americans as a friendly nation.