Sayings that make your spine tingle.

Je Suis Ubermonkey

Jun 10, 2010
Davatehi said:
I would have to go with:
"But... There is one they fear. In their tounge his name is Dovahkiin, Dragonborn!
http://instantbutton.me/buttons/fus_roh_daaaa_20110225173413.html

That's what I came here to say, because it's the first and only thing that has ever made my spine tingle. I thought spine-tingling was metaphorical until that trailer.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Not a 'spine tingling' quote per se, rather, a depressing one (I don't really find any quote/saying 'spine tingling', just either amusing, emotive, pensive, philosophical or depressing):

Batiatus - You may not be an animal, Spartacus... but this sorry show gives me very little hope... that you'll ever be a man.

Raognerrrm

Apr 2, 2011
I have quite a few:
"True darkness was in men's souls."
"If you ever should experience a moment of total happiness, you should die, right at that moment, because the rest of your life can only be downhill from there." - Lion of Senet, by Jennifer Fallon.

"I haven't betrayed him, child. I may have failed him, but I haven't betrayed him. To betray is to act against. I simply haven't acted at all.' - Skulduggery Pleasant, by Derek Landy.

"Evil is doing bad things to hurt people. Wicked is - well, it just is. Wicked people love what they're doing so much they get carried away..."
"There was no right or wrong, only failure, and failure was unthinkable."
"Each wrong act makes the next one easier, until a man becomes so warped he can no longer tell the difference between right and wrong. Then you might well call him evil." - The Gate to Nowhere, by Ian Irvine.

"I don't want to make a mistake. Better to not make a decision at all than to make a mistake." - Grim Tuesday, by Garth Nix.

"More than once I have raged against fortune. I raved, I swore, I vowed to stop time itself, even to fling it backwards. It broke me anyway and took away everything I ever cared for." - A Shadow on the Glass, by Ian Irvine.

"To love is to destroy, and to be loved is to be the one destroyed." - City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare.

"They'll still be pathetic. Most people are. It's why we have gods and goddesses. The human race is so insecure and afraid; we must invent a protector or cower in the shadows, hiding from a universe full of things bigger, uglier, and more powerful than we are. People want a parent figure to alleviate their pain. To make their crops grow, to shield them from the realities of life. If we can't find a real god, then we have to make one up. Do you think that makes us a higher or lesser species? Every other species seems to cope just fine, without the need to imagine there's a divine being out there, somehow masterminding the whole show." - Lord of the Shadows, by Jennifer Fallon.

"This, I thought, is power. Not to be strong of limb, hard of heart, ferocious and daring; but kind, compassionate, and soft." - Dunno where this is from.

"I've fought the long fight and been defeated. The present is a bitter failure, a reminder of a futile life. All my works, and all my hopes, have come to nothing. There's not a single thing I can do about it, and I no longer have to carry the burden of the world. I can let it go at last..." - Scrutator, by Ian Irvine.

"Sleep, my dear parents, but do not dream. Tomorrow your children will shed your tears. Tuck your memories in and say goodnight." - The Fiftieth Gate, by Mark Baker.

The vast majority of these are from books, all of which are worth reading.

CATB320

Jan 30, 2011
The oath of the Night's Watch (A Song of Ice and Fire) is pretty intense. And, "For the watch," kind of creeps me out after A Dance with Dragons.
Theoden's speech to Saruman ("We shall have peace when...") was also particularly moving.