Scams you've encountered

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Queen Michael said:
spartan231490 said:
Queen Michael said:
spartan231490 said:
...that's not what this thread is about, and I'm pretty sure you know that. Please keep the gun control rants to the threads that are actually about gun control.
It's too important. I will spread the word wherever I can, if even 1 person hears the truth who hasn't before I will consider it a job well done. No matter how much people get angry at me for it.

Biggest Scam # 2, HR 347. The back-room politics bill no one ever heard about that conditionalizes the first amendment. That's right folks, peaceful protests and free speech are no longer allowed at any event being protected by the secret service. Participating in such a protest is a felony now. I'm not saying the US is about to become a fascist state. I'm just saying we should probably put on our tin-foil hats.
Fact remains, you should keep it to the appropriate threads or you'll get the moderators.
I don't see how it was inappropriate. The thread asked about scams, I posted scams.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Hexenwolf said:
That's not a scam, that's called working for commission.
It's not that they rip you off. It's that, unless you know a lot of rich people or are in an area without a lot competition, you end up getting payed far less then minimum wage for a job that works you to death.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
I encountered Vector myself. They sent this brochure with pictures of young people in suits working in a business environment, but when I got to the building it was a rundown rented out space that sold knives. I immediately turned them down.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
There are a couple of scams that run amongst the homeless/barely employed where I'm from. One is called the 'Pigeon Drop' where some guy claims to have found a bag of money and wants to "go find the legitimate owner" , but he wants to leave the money with you. Somehow, they're supposed to be able to convince you that in order to leave the cash with you, you have to give them collateral while they go off looking for blah blah blah. What usually happens is the victim loses maybe $50 and are left with a bag of miscellaneous paper, like a phone book, instead of actual cash. I can't believe that crap actually works, but it does.

There was another bizarre scam (I think it was a scam?) involving vacuum cleaners. There's this excellent brand of vacuum, I think it was Kirby, and the "salespeople" go door to door, showing people how good the vacuum is. Unfortunately it's usually young kids who claim they're trying to sell units in order to "win a trip to _______". And to get into your house this one girl offered me a free 2-liter of Pepsi. Wait, it gets weirder...

So the girl starts vacuuming areas of my house, the few carpets I had, and removes the filter after each pass and sure enough, it caught a lot of fine dust that normal vacuums don't catch. I kept asking her how much but she kept saying, "Wait, wait, there's more, let me show you." After maybe 30 minutes there are filters with dust sitting on them all around the house and she finally tells me how much: $900. I reacted, saying that was way more than I would pay for a vacuum, no matter how good it was. She immediately packs up and leaves, leaving all of these dust covered filters throughout my house.

The end result is that some poor girl vacuumed my house and left me with a 2-liter bottle of Pepsi, which I promptly emptied into the sink and recycled. Was it a scam or was it a hard-sell tactic? Either way, I don't think she did it right. A strange, beat up van came driving by and she jumped into the back.

This last one isn't a scam, but it's kind of funny. So over a year ago AT&T enacted a maximum download capacity of 150GB per month for regular DSL customers. People who have their super fast UVerse service have a cap of 200GB. I noticed that somebody on my block recently installed UVerse because AT&T people in blue or orange shirts were going house to house trying to sell the service--and hopefully recover some of the cost. A few weeks later someone from AT&T called me asking if I knew about UVerse. I told him I didn't want it because of the 200GB download cap, and in return he basically accused me of downloading illegally. But here's the deal:

I say to the guy, If I'm getting streaming HDTV along with VOIP AND internet, while I have in my house a PS3, 360, Wii, 2 tower PCs and 2 laptops, I could EASILY surpass the 200GB monthly limit. I only have Netflix and Amazon right now, and I always default to the lowest definition picture. There was a pause, and I thought he was going to counterattack with a sales pitch. More seconds go by and all of a sudden he screams, "YOU KNOW WHAT? YOU'RE RIGHT!!!" He launches into a tirade about AT&T and how the other departments were sabotaging his job, so I tried to calm him down. "NO! WE'RE ENTITLED TO OUR OPINIONS!" he continued. He finally thanked me and hung up. I feel bad. I think I got him fired.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
The Floating Nose said:
For me the biggest scam that i fell victim for was the "Get Xbox Live GOLD for a month for 2$ only !" When i saw this i was like "OH gee ! What a deal, it's probably to give a chance to those who don't have gold, a chance to play for a while for cheap !" WRONG !!!! Right when the konth ends, there's some kind of shit where they automatically renew your xbox live gold memebership. Which means that every month or 2 they take money from your credit card WITHOUT TELLING YOU ! So what i have to do was call "Microsoft Canada HQ" for it do be disabled. It's probably in the contract that you "agree" to when you pay your 2 dollars for the gold membership...but who seriously reads those contracts ?
Wait what? You signed up for a subscription service and feel its a scam when they take the sub out?

There are some dodgy subscription scams out there, but thats so far from one it never sent a christmas card let alone bothered to remove the scammy ones from its list......

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Scams? What Scams? I'm too busy waiting for my billions that I won in a random British Lottery to care about you fools being scammed!!! I gave them my account details hours ago! Any minute now and so long suckers!

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
Petromir said:
The Floating Nose said:
For me the biggest scam that i fell victim for was the "Get Xbox Live GOLD for a month for 2$ only !" When i saw this i was like "OH gee ! What a deal, it's probably to give a chance to those who don't have gold, a chance to play for a while for cheap !" WRONG !!!! Right when the konth ends, there's some kind of shit where they automatically renew your xbox live gold memebership. Which means that every month or 2 they take money from your credit card WITHOUT TELLING YOU ! So what i have to do was call "Microsoft Canada HQ" for it do be disabled. It's probably in the contract that you "agree" to when you pay your 2 dollars for the gold membership...but who seriously reads those contracts ?
Wait what? You signed up for a subscription service and feel its a scam when they take the sub out?

There are some dodgy subscription scams out there, but thats so far from one it never sent a christmas card let alone bothered to remove the scammy ones from its list......
I wasn't talking about the 2$ for the sub. When the 2 $ sub was over they took another 20 or 30 $ from my credit card because they thought i was going to renew my subscription for another 2 or 3 months.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
triggrhappy94 said:
Hexenwolf said:
That's not a scam, that's called working for commission.
It's not that they rip you off. It's that, unless you know a lot of rich people or are in an area without a lot competition, you end up getting payed far less then minimum wage for a job that works you to death.
Ok, true, still not a scam.

My brother worked for them for a while, and was actually doing quite well for himself. He quit because he didn't like being a salesman, but calling them a scam is flat out wrong. The knives are incredibly good.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Katatori-kun said:
Queen Michael said:
Katatori-kun said:
My mother bought a copy of "Who's Who Among American High School Students". That's a scam.
What is it?
Parents of High school students got a letter claiming that their child(ren) were selected to appear in Who's Who, making it sound as if it's some great honor, when in truth the "nomination" process was unclear. Sometimes children who actually have achievements get nominated, and sometimes children with no discernible achievements get nominated. In any case, the letter promised there is no cost to be listed in their book, but recommended parents buy an expensive, professionally-bound copy (I believe for something like $70). If they do so, they get a book where their child's name is listed on one line among thousands of other names.

Basically they played on parents' vanity and desire for recognition for their children in order to make money. They promised that being listed in the book will help with college applications,despite admissions officers saying they see being listed as irrelevant at best and slightly negative at worst. They also didn't fact-check or confirm their listings, so in at one case as a joke a school sent in a joke listing and it was printed despite the school later contacting the company and requesting the nomination be withdrawn.

The company is now bankrupt though, so it's no longer a going concern. But my mother still has the book(s) on the shelf. Right next to the encyclopaediae from 1988 that no one reads anymore.
Holy spit, those books are real? Go figure.

Mr.Cynic88

Oct 1, 2012
Lieju said:
Mr.Cynic88 said:
I recently received an automated cold call from somebody with a nigerian-esque accent saying that if I donated money to him, he would pray for me. Being both logical and an atheist, I hung up, but I'm sure there are plenty of old/religious people who may have taken the bait.
Is that a scam, though? If they really do pray for you, then it's paying for a service. Sure, a service that does nothing, but it's not like he promised for a god to help you if you donated.
Haha, I hadn't looked at it that way. Still, call my cynical, but I don't think the automated message from Africa had any intention of actually providing a service.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
The Floating Nose said:
Petromir said:
The Floating Nose said:

I wasn't talking about the 2$ for the sub. When the 2 $ sub was over they took another 20 or 30 $ from my credit card because they thought i was going to renew my subscription for another 2 or 3 months.
Thats how a subscription works........ To get out of reoccurring payments you pay higher prices.......

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I had people call me saying they were going to arrest for for failure to pay something (might have been taxes or something). They said the sheriffs department had already been contacted and were ready to arrest me if I didn't pay immediately. What the person on the other side didn't know is that I personally know the sheriff of my county and almost all the deputies. So there was no way they were going to intimidate me. I asked him what county they were contacting. They got very pissed off and started yelling at me that I was going to be arrested. I said that was fine, and I looked forward to my day in court. They quickly hung up.

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
Mine are all basic email scams. Things I'm sure most of you have encountered yourselves.

I once got an email saying there was a complaint to the BBB about my company and I had to supply all sorts of information to do something about it. Unfortunately for them, they didn't realize I do not own any company. I also get a lot of mail saying I'm trying to sell my runescape/Diablo 3/WoW accounts and they want my account information to stop the mails. Funny thing is that I don't have an account with any of those.

Like I said, nothing fancy.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
My great-uncle got some email from someone who claimed to be a war victim in need of funds. He fell for it, but luckily didn't lose too much money.

The Name's Bond

Jan 16, 2012
I have this fantastic video of one of my high school drama students putting a Windows Support scammer onto his alter ego 'Aunty Ehtel'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALeI_LhCF1Q