Scared to play Bioshock 2

Justyn Stahll

Jul 22, 2010
I just recently got Bioshock 2 (thanks Nebraska) and to celebrate I re-played Bioshock. I finished it and had a lot of fun from playing it again. Then I looked at Bioshock 2 and I don't know I just couldn't bring myself to play it and I don't know why. It's just Bioshock with a new look,character and story. I don't know if I'm scared to play it or I just can't bring myself to play it? HELP ME ESCAPISTS! PWEEZ!

P.S- this is my first thread and I expect A grand total of 5 people are going to see this awesome I am on an Internet fourm :D

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's actually quite fun. Not as good as the first, and it was completely unnecessary, but it's worth a play.

AbyssalSanhedrin

May 8, 2010
Try and ignore the mediocre press it received, it's a actually a very good game which I found to be at least as emotional and engaging as the first. Many would disagree with that but I say just get in there and give it a blast, you've paid for it so you've nothing to lose, right?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's actually really good, in my opinion. Not quite as mind-blowing as BS1 and not remotely "innovative" or anything. But it adds an extra layer of polish to Bioshock 1's gameplay, and fleshes out the setting more. The tonics are generally better and more varied, the gunplay is improved, and the story is still quite good with it's showcasing of Ryan's old rival. I found the audio logs much more interesting in 2, also.

My biggest gripe is the inability to return to old areas, really. And another gripe is the new research system, too.

I don't think I'll be playing BS1 again after BS2's many gameplay improvements, so take that as what you will.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
If you like BioShock, you'll like BioShock 2. It makes some improvements on the gameplay and while it was entirely unnecessary, the story was interesting at least.

I did not like the game personally, but that's just because I hated the gameplay in the first, and felt that this game made it bearable, but just felt unnecessary honestly.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
I quite enjoyed bioshock 2. I turned off them tubes you get brought back to life too when you die and did first playthrough on hardest difficulty. Made it feel alot more survival stratergy was needed.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I enjoyed it. The mechanics and gameplay are much improved, and the setting is stil las good as ever. But Bioshock was never just about those two: Bioshock is memorable for the story, and though Bioshock 2 had plenty of thought put into it, it isn't able to deliver a plot as great or memorable as the first. Plus the voice acting is far more grating in this title.

Over all, I'd still recommend it. If you won't play it, you'll be missing out (and wasting your money).

The Ultimate 2

Lord Of Madness
May 13, 2009
It is actually a good game. Sure it's not as good as the first game in terms of story, but the combat is really cool and lets be honest the first Bioshock was in my opinion a masterpiece so naturally a sequel might not be as good. As a sequel to Bioshock it's ok but on its own it is awesome, especially the Minerva's Den DLC. So definitely give it a go.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It plays better, and depending on what type of person you are you may prefer the narrative.

From what I remember, it also ditches the archaic fucking gameplay loop of "find the blue key for the blue door" mechanic that BioShock uses, which also destroyed its pacing. (Seriously, all that build up to Ryan's office and then you're told to fuck off and find some scrap parts for another 40 minutes? Which bright spark had that idea?).

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
It's a decent game and much of what I would have said has been said already. My only advice is to play on the hardest difficulty because otherwise it is an obnoxiously easy game.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'm actually in a similar boat. Bioshock 1 is so good, and I've heard that Bioshock 2 is alright, but I just can't play it. I have it sitting on my desk as I type this and the only thing I've done is make sure it works.

DR3AMCATCH3R94

Apr 2, 2009
yeah its good and the narrative is good but not as good as the first (narrative wise) gameplay was nicely improved, so yeah give it a shot

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
It plays better, but it's completely unnecessary from a narrative point of view. It's essentially more of the same with some better gunplay, but because relied so much on its atmosphere and strong story, the second one, in following the first, feels lessened.

Psychophante

Nov 9, 2009
There is no point, IMO, in the existence of Bioshock 2.
Except money. Or money. Although, having thought about it, it may have something to do with money.

EDIT: On second thoughts, stop being a pussy and just play it. My hatred of the second in no way deminished my sheer unbridled love of Bioshock.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Woodsey said:
From what I remember, it also ditches the archaic fucking gameplay loop of "find the blue key for the blue door" mechanic that BioShock uses, which also destroyed its pacing. (Seriously, all that build up to Ryan's office and then you're told to fuck off and find some scrap parts for another 40 minutes? Which bright spark had that idea?).
Oh, I remember that. The game felt padded even though it was relatively short.

That hit critical mass for me after the big reveal. In my opinion, the first game's gameplay spiraled downward from mediocre to utter crap, especially with the random plasmid thing.

I don't remember BioShock 2 having that problem, though I do specifically remember the PC version having the problem of corrupting my saves halfway through the game. Twice.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
The game's quite fun to play but then you can just replay Bioshock and get the same (or probably even better) results. It's pretty much a cleaned up version of the first game with a nonsense story.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The first game freaked me out too much to play it, so maybe you can take comfort in knowing that there is someone even whimpier than you out there.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Phlakes said:
It's actually quite fun. Not as good as the first, and it was completely unnecessary, but it's worth a play.
This exact thing could be applied to Bioshock, as, let's face it, it was the spiritual successor to System Shock 2.

OT: I preferred Bioshock 2 to Bioshock. I just thought it was better.

Neither were System Shock 2 though.