Scariest Moment In A Game

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The hospital basement in Silent Hill 3. You just here an irritating screech, you come around the corner and see a wheelchair on it's side, the place has been shot up, and the trail of blood goes to the elevator (which won't open). Suddenly, the wheel spinning on the wheelchair slows down and stops.

The carnage happened JUST BEFORE you arrived...

Derpus von Herpus

Nov 14, 2008
Fatal Frame 2.

I have a habit of, when playing that game, whipping the camera up (which, for the uninitiated, brings it into a first-person view), whipping a 180 to see what's behind me, then another to see what's ahead.

I did this once, outside the first house. Nothing in front of me, 180, nothing behind me, 180, and there is a ghost so close to me that all I can see is his forehead and one eye. That image is burned into my brain. I freaked out so hard that I threw a controller and refused to play that game for almost a full year.

noctifyre

Mar 30, 2009
As lame as this might make me sound, one time when I was playing Silent Hill 2 for the PC, I was talking on the phone with a friend as I was doing so... and just sort of walking around, exploring and everything seemed okay.

When, all of a sudden, one of those straight jacket monsters (I fail for not remembering what it's called!) crawled out from beneath a van -

I screamed, and ended up falling backwards in the chair.

-

Oh, and another incident was when I was playing Echo Night Beyond and while that game has no battling of the sort, the atmosphere... can't explain it, but while not scary-scary, I had to stop playing it after a short while because my heart wouldn't stop racing and I couldn't stop feeling so edgy/jumpy/sick in a fear-induced way.

Derpus von Herpus

Nov 14, 2008
Quixestic said:
As lame as this might make me sound, one time when I was playing Silent Hill 2 for the PC, I was talking on the phone with a friend as I was doing so... and just sort of walking around, exploring and everything seemed okay.

When, all of a sudden, one of those straight jacket monsters (I fail for not remembering what it's called!) crawled out from beneath a van -

-

Oh, and another incident was when I was playing Echo Night Beyond and while that game has no battling of the sort, the atmosphere... can't explain it, but while not scary-scary, I had to stop playing it after a short while because my heart wouldn't stop racing and I couldn't stop feeling so edgy/jumpy/sick in a fear-induced way.
I actually bought that game off of eBay for like three dollars a few months ago, and am incredibly stuck. Do you recommend I stick with it?

noctifyre

Mar 30, 2009
DasMark said:
Quixestic said:

-

I actually bought that game off of eBay for like three dollars a few months ago, and am incredibly stuck. Do you recommend I stick with it?
Which game: SH or ENB?

I ended up returning ENB, though I regretted it afterwards... because from what more I watched of it on YT, it does turn out to be a rather decent game, especially for how cheap it costs - Seems to rely more on atmospheric tension versus in your face scares.

If you don't mind the sort of 'survival horror' genre game that doesn't rely on the focus of fighting, then I would say to continue giving it a shot... Then again, it seems to be more of a 'point and click' version of that genre more than anything else (Mentioned because I know some people aren't all for that sort of stuff), but it's something that works for it.

Either way, regardless of what you decide, I'm probably going to try to find a copy of it again whenever I get another PS2. :)

(And if you were asking about SH - Definite keep. IMHO, the Silent Hill series mastered the art of psychological/atmospherical tension/scares. :3)

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Most scary moment in a game?
Any encounter on Dead Space, really
I got to about half way of chapter 2 before I stopped playing.
I went back to it once, but I haven't Gone back to it since
It's the only game I own that I'm scared to even pick up, and I haven't even died on it.

The Oddfellow

League Of United Oddfellows
Jan 30, 2009
Niccolo said:
Haha, mine's kinda tame compared to that actually.

In the first level of Bioshock, when you enter this room that's been flooded, and all you can hear is some guy singing as he hacks away at something. You can see his shadow, then he just disappears...

About five seconds of carnage later, you realise the it's not water you're standing knee-deep in, it's blood.
I agree entirely

Juvieus Kaine

Apr 1, 2009
My personal one was and somehow still is is a daft one to most people. Anyone familiar with the game Metal Arms: Glitch in the Systme may know this. A few levels with the ZOmbiebots is hair-raising. They spring up from absolutely nowhere if you're not careful and claw you to death while you're tryna gun them down

Derpus von Herpus

Nov 14, 2008
TonsilTerror said:
Niccolo said:
Haha, mine's kinda tame compared to that actually.

In the first level of Bioshock, when you enter this room that's been flooded, and all you can hear is some guy singing as he hacks away at something. You can see his shadow, then he just disappears...
Did that song happen to be Butcher Pete?

Insomniaku

Jan 31, 2009
most of Dead Space freaked the shit out of me, but it's very easy to flip that game upon itself here's how: Switch to easy mode, turn brightness all the way up, turn off scary as hell sound effects, and replace in game music with hilarious upbeat classical music (Flight of The Bumblebee) or epicly hilarious classical music (Ride of The Valkyries). The game becomes insanely, ridiculously, funny!

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
The first time the dogs jump through the window in the first resident evil and the crying stabbing babies in the first silent hill.

kat-24

Mar 17, 2009
Resident Evil 4: The regenerators with the parasites in them, those scared the shit out of me, when I heard the first one come alive and make all those noises

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
kat-24 said:
Resident Evil 4: The regenerators with the parasites in them, those scared the shit out of me, when I heard the first one come alive and make all those noises
I'm glad none of my friends played that game because if they had I'm sure they would start making that noise while I was around and scaring the bejesus out of me.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
ilves7 said:
Sayvara said:
Late entry...

One moment I remember very clearly and that got my pulse up to about 120 (I average 55 at rest ;) ) was actually in good old Dark Forces.
/S
Dark Forces was awesome... it wasn't creepy EXCEPT when you got to the first dark trooper, which did honestly freak me out. I was ~12-13 then, but it was scary like that scene in Superman II (I think 2... maybe 3) where the super computer pulls in that woman and covers her in electronics and turns her into a robot... which is probably, for me, being really young when i saw that, the scariest thing I had ever seen.
It was Superman 3 with Richard Prior, yeah that was the scariest thing I'd seen back in the day.

olee12343

Jun 23, 2009
kat-24 said:
Agreed. The breathing noise that they make were the only disturbing part of the game. Also if you sucked with the rifle/thermal scope, then you knew you were screwed.

Also, there were some scary moments from Bioshock:

1: The flooded morgue, with the dead body floating towards you and the shadow on the wall.

2: The dentist office, when you pick up the plasmid and fog fills the room. Once it disappears you turn around and this crazy dentist is scaring at you.

3: Flooded basement with the mannequins. You see items and a plasmid at the end of a flooded room filled with mannequins. As you approach the items, you hear sounds behind you and when you turn around, you see the mannaquins not only changed their positions but they seem to be FOLLOWING you. Once you try to leave they attack.

Thank god for Bioshock.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
Two times I was seriously freaked out by a game was one time in FEAR 2 where you turn around slightly and see the older version of Alma leaning over your shoulder (I felt violated) and the glitch scene from Arkham Asylum.