Scariest Moment In A Game

Bocca

Jan 17, 2008
First, Bioshock demo. I was scared like hell when i saw the shadow of the mom wich is playing with empty cart. Its boogy untill you get used to zombies. Second, Half-life 2 - "We dont go to Ravenholm". First time playing it was very scary. I runned just as fast i could trough the level and, when i was like five to six years old when i played Thief I with my dad. I was SO excited!
The same thing was with Tomb raiders, the music and the traps were very scary :).

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
SPOILER like you didn't already know.

Another one for Condemned again. Just played the school level and I never realised how scary that fat butcher lady is. First time I plyed it I just pumped her full of hot lead. This time however, I was armed with a piece of wood that had more stopping power then a declawed kitten. Before entering the part where she was in the cold room, I felt this great erge to turn around and call it a day. When that huge blimp of a woman is comming at you with a butchers cleaver, you just know this isn't going to end well.

The school level also boast the scariest parts in Condemned; the butcher lady, the swimming pool, the coridor of laughter and the dead guy in the locker that springs to life. God I hate that school.

gains

Jan 8, 2008
Horror games are the favorite genre for both me and my wife, so I've got a few favorites.

Almost any boss fight from Rule of Rose. The teacher half wrapped in twine who hops around and swats you with a cane, the "mermaid" girl with her legs bound who's swinging from the ceiling, all great stuff. What makes it worse is Jennifer's complete ineffectiveness as a combatant. She covers her eyes and flinches at the end of the stabbing animation! It's a shame they make you fight lots of little grunt rabbits, that awful combat gets in the way of the really creepy atmosphere of the abandoned zeppelin and orphanage. Most of the ending cinematics are absolutely heart-wrenching too.

Scratches, a pseudo-Lovecraftian adventure game wrecked us up. We're both very sensitive to sound in horror games, and the titular scratching is a reference to The Rats in the Walls. When I read that story in college it fcuked me up for days, so a game that takes me back to that feeling has me doomed already.

Most of the others have been covered already but I'll add that the FPS sequences of Silent Hill 4 got me. It wasn't a very good design decision but being hemmed in your own apartment, slowly losing the ability to even cross the room without disturbing sound effects and burning filters on your vision made me run back to the nightmare worlds as soon as possible. And then there are the invicible ghosts in SH4. The ones that follow you through the walls and floor.

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
Space Hulk, back in the heady Amiga days, frantically trying to despacth hordes of genestealers who could run circles round you as your squadmates were gradually overwelmed and their video feeds turning to nothing but static until eventually only you are left.....alone.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
Apart from the already mentioned Shalebridge Cradle in Thief - Deadly Shadows, it would be the Zombielevels in the previous Thief-installments for me. Holy Hell...

Also, on an honorable side-note:
Phantasmagoria I. For those too young to have played this, it's a 7-Disc-Monster of a FMV-Point'n'Click dating back to I don't know when...

The first 4 Discs were rather boring... nice story, but nothing out of the ordinary...
So, pal and me were playing and were all like "OK, if it doesn't get better by beginning of disc 5, we quit, k?" - "K".
So, Disc 5 it was, with the FMV in the garden shed. After that it went downhill fast. The Murder scenes, the insane Ending sequence, and gore all over the place. Pretty hard on two 12-year-olds :D

gains

Jan 8, 2008
Whoracle:

If I remember correctly, the violence and sex in Phantasmagoria were used as examples of why video games needed a strong ratings system.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Onmi said:
I would first like to commend each and every one of you for having the guts for horror games
Horrors not my Genre, i figured that out when i read up on silent hill and couldn't sleep for a few days cause realistic Images my mind decided to gracefully play me scared me shitless
Ah thanks. Having no nerves is better to play horror games with since the point is just to be scared. Just some people like that feeling I guess. You get a rush when you weren't expecting something to jump out at you or you know what's about to happen but you have to do something horrible. Some people also like bungy jumping but I don't.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
when Eli died in Episode 2

I ACTUALLY GENUINELY cried that time I first saw it.

Makes me want to buy episode 3 now, I want to avenge his death.

Besides that
d
F.E.A.R.- When I opened a door, it dissolves and now theres one in the ceiling. Or any other sheer (as Yahtzee says) "Ball-to-the-wall mind fuckery" Or the time when your watching the doctors operate on you and they turn into a bunch of ghouls eating your entrails. That made me go "What...the...fuck was that?"

Bioshock- When you first pass out when you get the plasmid and the Little Sister's monologue. It sent shivers down my spine, I've never looked at little girls the same way again.

Half-Life 2- The opening cinematic with the line "Wake up, mister freeman, wake up and....smell the ashes." It made me think "What did Black Mesa do now?". Also when the first Fast Zombie ran at me full speed. I was wildly shooting saying "GET IT AWAY! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" Now when ever I see a dark hallway with one flickering light, I think fo Ravenholm.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter- When you first see the Bando Gora. THEY COME FROM EVERYWHERE! The flamethrower is the only useful weapon besides the laser chain gun.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Half Life 1. The two scientist trying to go up into the shaft when suddenly something grabs them and drags them in. Few moments later blood gushes from it. And that big damn tenticle thing that attacks you when you make a noise. It was only scary once you make a footstep too loudly and you realise you're about to die.

saganaw

Nov 16, 2007
The scariest game I've ever played, bar none, is System Shock 2, followed by Floor 13. I've only ever played SS2 on Easy Mode. That's all I intend to play. The whole thing forces you to realize that your character is just some insignificant monkey wrench that will soon be snapped between the gears. It's awesome.

Floor 13 is scary because you play as the head of an agency that's supposed to keep the government in power at all costs. The game makes you sympathize so much with your character that you barely realize what a monster you're playing as.

joeyhndc

Jan 17, 2008
I'll also agree with the Sonic 2 drowning noise. Damn you chemical factory!

When I was a kid, the monster at the end of skifree (yeah, that's right, skifree) scared me like nothing else. I played that game so much, and I'd expect him every time, but he'd get me at some moment I wasn't ready for anyways. That had to be the first instance of horror I've ever experienced, and it was enough to give me nightmares.

Other than that, the entire nightime part of Gears of War where you have to get the vehicle was intense, especially in co-op. Those swarming locusts that kill the soldier just to show you what happens when you step in the dark, then the part with the propane tanks, goddamn.

And since it's fresh in my memory, running out of items in Dead Rising. Especially in the maintenance tunnels. At that point, the only thing you can do is run like hell, and you actually feel scared doing it. The first time in the entrance plaza is very disconcerting as well. When the zombies break in and all you see is "person X IS DEAD" in giant red letters, and little clumps of zombies swarming people. Repeat that about 13 times in about 30 seconds while you're desperately running for the stairs, and that first time you get grabbed and bitten (it definitely happens the first time through) is some of the scariest stuff ever.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
When Reuben got possessed and started running around and took a dump behind the desk in that Animal Races game. That was scary as all shit and they're marketing this game to good christain children?!

Jagdedge

Dec 23, 2007
I scare very easily. Back in the day, I was too afraid to play Ocarina of Time. I had an old teacher do the Forest Temple for me, and upon getting to the Shadow Temple, I just quit for a while. Invisible guillotines? Count me out. When I reached a part with ReDeads and I didn't have the Sun Song, I would haul ass out of there as fast as possible.

Tried playing Condemned. Didn't get very far. Spent the next few days playing Pokemon and watching Spongebob to cheer myself up.

Tried playing Doom 3. Again, got to the part with a guy being possessed, got a little bit past that, and promptly cried myself to sleep.

Got to Raveholme. Fun times, I guess. I don't recall much, my eyes were screwed shut for 80% of that level.

Just watching a Youtube video of the Cradle level in Thief made me cringe and exlaim "OH MY GOD!" when that zombie thing ran past.

I scare very easily. If you've played Republic Commando, there's a section on a Seperatist ship with Trandoshan slavers, or something of the sort, and I was even afraid of that. It had the hintings of being a derelict freighter that you see in almost every Sci-Fi movie and I was seperated from the rest of my squad. I forced myself to play through it because the game was so fucking fun. The minute I met up with Scorch again, I threw up my hands in blessed jubilation. I guess you could say that horror is not my forte.

Fuck, I'm a pussy.

saganaw

Nov 16, 2007
Don't worry, Jagdedge. One time, I couldn't bring myself to play a Silent Hill 3 demo past the first room. The atmosphere alone convinced me to play something else instead.