Scariest sounds in games

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Not as much scary as unnerving, but Jack's screams of pain in Bioshock.

Scariest though:

The punctuated, high frequency breathing of regenerators/iron maidens in Resident Evil 4.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Fallout has some scary sounds. The screech of a ghoul, the sound of rad-scorpion's feet on the ground, the savage yell of a Super Mutant... All of which you get used to after some period of time

Mar 30, 2010
"VENGEANCE!"

Cookie for the reference.

The call of dead king Lysandus in TES II: Daggerfall.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
I second Dead Space. Bursts of noise and inhuman screaming followed by nothing. That creeped me out when I played that game.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Mustn't neglect the classics.

Which, incidentally enough, was used to nightmarish effect in the latest Dresden Files book.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Definitely the Amnesia monster sound, makes me RUN! in the opposite direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGZwaPFMlA

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
arc1991 said:
Mr S said:
When you're redecorating your house which took a lot of hours and love to build you hear something behind you say:
That's a nicccce everything you have there ...
I was about to think Minecraft...but then i realised nothing in that game speaks...

What game is this? ._.
It is Minecraft, look up the the sentence. I'm sure you'll agree.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Not really a sound but, the music that plays after you wake up and Jenova has killed all the dudes in the Shinra building in FF7.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
"Your dungeon heart is being attacked!"
"Look at you, hhHHacker"

The shuffle of a zombie shambling across the carpet unseen around the corner in Resident Evil.

The sound of a tripwire being tripped in Fallout 3

Any instance of incidental music in Left 4 Dead

Basically any noise, even just the simple hiss of a pipe, in System Shock 2

The breathy sound of a Barnacle when you accidentally get latched on to one in Half-Life

The two-tone 5-second siren noise as Sonic begins to run out of oxygen.

The motion tracker pipping in Alien vs. Predator

The crescendoing alarm as a red or blue shell is locked on to your Kart in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (or is it Mario Kart Wii?)

The scratchy sound of the spider as it creeps your way in LIMBO

The rhythmic clanking of drainpipes as you wait on the Ravenholm rooftops for the fast headcrab zombies to appear in Half-Life 2

*fsssssssss*

Any game that involves dogs/wolves running at you. You always hear the pad-pad-pad sound of their paws on the ground, combined with the heavy panting, long before you see the actual creatures (which naturally pounce on you the moment between spotting them and reacting with your trigger finger).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nami nom noms said:
I always found the weird, disjointed, chokey breathing of the regenerators in RE4 to be quite scary :p
You're not the only one! To me it just sound unnatural as if it was a psychopath with breathing problem but do nothing to fix it.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
arc1991 said:
Mr S said:
When you're redecorating your house which took a lot of hours and love to build you hear something behind you say:
That's a nicccce everything you have there ...
I was about to think Minecraft...but then i realised nothing in that game speaks...

What game is this? ._.

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
The Hunter from L4D is a definite pants-shitter the first few times you hear it, same as the chainsaw baghead in Resident Evil 4, especially when you can hear him getting closer.

I always thought that the Dead Space Regenerator thing was pretty scary, not because of the monster itself but because throughout the whole chase sequence you had that crazy bloke on the intercom screaming his over-zealous religious shit at you, the monster screaming in the background, the music was going all intense and while you're moving the lockers Issac is grunting his ass off. It all gets a bit panicked.

Purkki

Apr 4, 2010
That damn radio static in Silent Hill 2 is the single most scary sound I've ever heard in a game.
I've yet to finish that game.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Demon's Souls: the bell of a Mind Flayer. God, I hated that noise the first time I played though it.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Ninja'd early on the Cyborg Midwife, so the next three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27K0s_rqr4 (0:24 onwards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFNc2jxIoT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX73XG9e5BE (6:04 - 6:30)

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Vidi Kitty said:
So after playing some of the new AVP, I was quickly reminded of how frightening that little pinging of the motion tracker could be. So I started thinking about other in game sounds that make me jump and/or scream like a little girl. So far I've got:

AVP motion tracker ping
half-life 2 black headcrab screech
the utmost dreaded creeper hissssss from minecraft

Nothing else is coming to mind but I know there are more out there.

What other sounds should go into this list and why?
It sounds vaguely like the Tasmanian devil. Have you played a Resident Evil or Dead Space game? Then you've heard several permutations of it. That sound means it's time to move your ass before it gets chewed off.