Scariest sounds in games

Robin-chan

Nov 18, 2009
The sound of an approaching Mole Rat in Fallout 3 when you don't have the "Animal Friend" perk

THEY COME AT YOU FROM OUT OF NOWHERE

Lots of noises in Fallout 3 scare me, though. Because I'm a wimp.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
The radio in silent hill. Absolutely.
the tune in the haunted manor mission in vampire the masquerade bloodlines.LOve that level but that tune creeps the hell out of me.

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Bioshock 1: The sound of the heavy footsteps of a big daddy, And Minecraft: The sound of a creeper. D:

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
Being over six pages in, I'm sure someone's already said this, but the Regenerators from Resi 4. Seriously, those things scared the shit outta me.

Steelcreed

Sep 28, 2011
The sound of my own breathing. Dead silence can have a profound effect in video games.

That, and the moans from those pregnant wall-things in Dead Space. Not neccessarily frightening, but so bleedin' disturbing.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
"Huh? What was that noise?"
or having a landmine go off right by your foot
but more seriously it's probably this...

"*rev reeev* WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"
...freaking Dr. Salvador...

oh and minecraft fans?
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssss... BOOM!

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Hannibal942 said:
meglathon said:
"welcome to the Twisted Treeline"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
the horror the horror....
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*You have been slain.*
*Your ally has been slain*
*Your ally has been slain*
ACE
Told you to stay away from that bush
but it looks like that ace...
*puts on shades*
...was Garen-teed

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
"VENGEANCE!"

Cookie for the reference.

The call of dead king Lysandus in TES II: Daggerfall.
I got the reference but that was more annoying than scary in my experience.

The scariest sound in that game was probably the moaning of an Ancient Lich. The b_____d things resist Dispel Undead.

Archviles sniffing around, looking for you, in DoomII spring to mind.

The combined engine noise, gravel crunch and metallic squealing of a tank coming your way when you know you don't have any armour in the area and you're not carrying any anti-armour weaponry is also kind of unnerving.

Everything in the large room respawning at once before you've finished the lever sequence to open the exit in Asheron's Call is a really bad sound.

Enemy Territory: *click* right under the foot you just put down.

Quake spawn waking up and starting to bounce around. Vile things!

Halo:CE's worst is either "Everybody duck!" as a little Covey git lobs a plasma bomb at you or that rapid, high-pitched sound the swarms of Flood mushrooms make.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Astoria said:
That deep bass sound in Amnesia that happens when a monster is nearby. It's scarier than the monsters themselves.
Lets just extend that to say EVERY SINGLE SOUND IN AMNESIA. I just got it off Steam, and I'm already on my third set of underwear.

Akaelvan

Aug 30, 2011
The music in Tomb Raider 3 that played just before you got jumped by a tiger or something.

Waiting for it to happen was the worst.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Definetely the poison headcrab's purring noise and it's screech.

So many bullets have been unloaded into those little satan spawns.

ABloodyScythe

Sep 17, 2011
The headcrabs noise from Half-Life played in reverse. Whilst not technically in game, it made me have nightmares for weeks.

moretwocents

Jan 20, 2011
Most of the sounds in Amnesia.
Bioshock Big Daddies.
And Creepers.
Especially when you've just mined a small diamond vein and haven't gotten them home and into your chest.

Inhibitor-Alpha

Jun 11, 2011
Zombies in general freak me out, but the Minecraft Zombies are the most haunting in my opinion. I feel like crapping my pants whenever I hear them underground, I know they're around somewhere but I won't know for sure unless I keep digging...

Jul 31, 2009
Interestingly Half-Life 2 uses lots of popular stock sound effects. I hear them in movies. Like the noise the Strider makes when it FIREZ IT'S LAZER.

I think I heard the sound that wooden doors make when you open them in an episode of Luther (2010 BBC). Sometimes I think I hear them in real life, and I feel like the game has just invaded my consciousness, Or I'm going mad.

Also. There's that weird noise, you know? that one? yeah that one! What's up with that? That's more recognizable than the Wilhelm scream. You know that film? By that guy? No not him the other guy. Yeah, that had it in there too, in that scene. No not that one, the one after it. Yeah! Like what were they thinking?!

Jul 31, 2009
Inhibitor-Alpha said:
Zombies in general freak me out, but the Minecraft Zombies are the most haunting in my opinion. I feel like crapping my pants whenever I hear them underground, I know they're around somewhere but I won't know for sure unless I keep digging...
I haven't played Minecraft, but I get that in Terraria, where they're in the dark somewhere around you but you can't tell where. The zombies in Terraria sound like they're wanking. Sort of like how the poison headcrab zombie in Half-Life 2 sounds like it's getting a lot of pleasure from the poison headcrabs.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
The Big Daddy grunting and screaming in BioShock 1. Although, they are harmless if you leave them alone, I would always get tense when I heard/saw one coming.

Also, little girls/children singing and laughing in dark, abandoned areas where children should not be left unattended.