Scariest sounds in games

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Yoshemo said:
This always freaked me out
I get shivers down my spine everytime I hear those sounds. Just......horror....

I'm not sure if these count but I'd also mention the sound that happens when a Gatherer spots you in Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Especially when you either see an unhuman shadow speeding at full pelt down the corridor towards you or if the monster in question suddenly comes in front of you).

I'll also bring up this little gem from Silent Hill 2:

Oh god, get that sound of my head!!!

8M1ke8

Sep 18, 2008
7 pages and no trilby's notes mention yet? sigh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI6_AvUAzxs

that and the harpsichord... one of the few games that still makes it hard for me to sleep sometimes...

nitemarez

Sep 21, 2009
When the Nether was first released in Minecraft and all the zombie pigs sounded like the were being raped. That gave me nightmares.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Silent Hill: the noises coming from the radio whenever some creature decides to show up... signaling your possible doom, esp. being low on ammo

Half-Life 1: Headcrabs in the vent system... I'll never forget jumping out of my seat the first time I got headcrabbed

Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear: When I first installed this game I also had surround sound for the first time on my computer. I was in a multiplayer match one day, sniping from a church tower when I got my first taste of being shot at in surround sound. I leapt under my desk because I actually thought I was being shot at, so real the crack of the bullet and the resulting sound of it hitting the wall directly behind me... I even checked for a bullet hole.

Resident Evil 2: The glass shattering when you first encounter the Licker. I missed the visual cue when passing by the window the first time around, being unused to the RE series and all so when that sonofabitch crashed out I am sure I screamed and nearly chucked the controller at the screen. Nevermind I was living alone in the middle of nowhere in the woods in a creepy house with creaky wood floors... and I was getting cabin fever from being cooped up alone.

Poster1234

Apr 26, 2011
Vidi Kitty said:
the utmost dreaded creeper hissssss from minecraft
That's your Minecraft fear.
How about "shshshshk" : the spider. God these scare the shit out of my.

Also, Mount & Blade : while you're fending off five dudes all by yourself, oblivious to the battle behind you, the sound of enemies grunting. Lots of time. And then you notice you haven't seen friendly face in a while... Do NOT turn around !
One time, that actually got me to jump over the castle's wall and runfor my life in order to sound the retreat. Then, as any mature person would do, heal my guys, go to my nearest fortress, and return to (maturely) to the enemy keep with a huge-ass army.
Kill enemies, see them driven... well, you all know the drill. ^^

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Vidi Kitty said:
Kathinka said:
Vidi Kitty said:
Kathinka said:
"your ssssssong is not ours!"

honorable mention, more awesome than scary:

"OSWALD COMPROMIIIIIIIISED!"
What are these from?
system shock 2, one of the scariest, and maybe one of the best games ever made.

and cod: black ops of course

edit: captcha: "ameroon orgy"

hmmm...
Always wanted to play system shock 2. Is the first one worth messing around in or playing through before 2?
I too really want to play SS2, but I can't find it anywhere. I downloaded SS1 from Abandonia, but It's not that great. The controls are a little bit weird in my oppinion, and some of the sprites are kind of silly looking.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
It's difficult for me to come up with specific examples. What does it for me is clever use of ambient music and effects; a very low, consistent bass drone (to express a kind of deafening silence), the laughter of small children, the chime of an old music box, all juxtaposed against a visual scenario straight out of any given archetypal nightmare - the more out of place the soundscape feels, the greater the effect it'll have on me.

I do remember one sound as particularly traumatizing... the screeching of a rusty blade dragged across a filthy floor, the unmistakable precursor of getting Pyramid Head's giant knife stuck up my whazoo.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
I have no idea if this was said before but the scariest thing to me was playing Condemned Criminals Origins, and just hearing the homeless men guys running around upstairs or in places out of sight.
It actually scared me.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
The radio sound in Silent Hill 2. At a few points in the game the radio reacts to monsters who are beyond your reach or who are off-screen and it really makes you nervous. I think the scariest part of Silent Hill 2 was an area where Pyramid Head WASN'T trying to kill me.

Mind you the Heaven Smile's laugh also can be pretty creepy.

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Every single bit of audio coming out of Amnesia: The Dark Descent makes me want to turn the game off and cry in a corner...

Politi

Feb 28, 2010
Sometimes in Stalker: SOC you'll hear screams of dying men on the wind. This never really manifests itself in any kind of way gameplay-wise, but it's just plain creepy. Does a lot for the atmosphere.