Scariest villain you've ever seen

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
The title says it all: what 'bad guy' have you seen that made you go cold when you first saw them?

Mine is definitally SHODAN:

She thinks of you as less than nothing, an annoyance that she has no choice but to use. And that voice...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Cap said:
Mine is definitally SHODAN:

Some help, for youtube videos, remove all the stuff before "youtube" and cut out everything between "youtube" and the = sign, and put it all in brackets [ ].

On topic: Freddy Kreuger bothers me...cause you cant really...do anything. Atleast Jason you just have to stay away.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Splund from The Trapdoor:

It's in a kid's cartoon for all of 3 mins, but...cor...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I once saw this film a long time ago called 'Fallen' i think, starring Denzel Washington, the...errm, antagonist in that is pretty worrying. What it can do to screw with you.
Check out some IMDB reviews of it if you want to know more. It has some great actors but due to box office shortcomings and being more 'psychological' than 'gore and action' horror/chiller elements, is hardly known, but it has gained cult status; http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0119099/reviews?ref_=m_tt_urv#showAll

Also i'd second Kreuger because seriously, i've had some fucked up nightmares from SSRI withdrawal that are bad enough without some burnt pedo playing with me! Don't mess with my sleep!

Other than that, can't think of any other that felt like a fearful threat. My nightmares are really the scariest shit that gets to me, like twisted beyond words, anything else doesn't really match that terror, though it does try. Maybe I should try and utilise it. H.R.Giger did quite well.
Other than the eternal, gaping, pitch black void of space that houses some of the most violently extreme forces of nature ever known. Oh and the sea. Too huge a body of water to comprehend it washing over us helpless tiny specks. They are villainous enough and scarier than any silly little monster human.

This subject should be studied more.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I can't really name many individual villains that I've found intimidating on the personal level, or at least, not ones that would intimidate me as an adult (e.g. as a kid, I was scared by Doctor Robotnik in Sonic the Hedgehog). But I guess ones that would still keep the intimidation factor would be:

-The Joker (from The Dark Knight)
-RAAM (Gears of War)
-Indominous Rex (Jurassic Park...does that count?)
-Mael Radec (Killzone)
-The Nazgul (Lord of the Rings...okay, they certainly freaked me out a decade ago)
-Nemesis (Resident Evil - same I-Rex "villain" stretching)
-The T-1000 (Terminator)
-The Weeping Angels (Doctor Who)
-The Xenomorph (Alien, though only in the first film, and again stretching the definition of "villain")

Thaluikhain said:
You opened the trapdoor? You fool, did you dare? Don't you know that there's something down there?

Besides, we all know that the most hidious creature was The Thing Upstairs.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Anton Chigurh from "No Country for Old Men" is pretty damn terrifying start to finish. He just feels unstoppable, like a ghost always behind the protagonist and always moving. There's almost an elegance in how he simply does not give a fuck what methods he uses.

Even the ending as ambiguous as it is ends almost like a horror film with the promise that he'll always be out there slaughtering and one best hope they don't become his next victim.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
This *****:

And before you say "Oh SilentPony, you don't like Silent Hill 2 but Homecoming scared you?!" just know 1. I have stupid arachnaphobia and 2. the only thing that comes close to my fear of spiders is my fear of dolls.

So a giant demon doll that turns into a spider is ten kinds of my type of Silent Hill.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, putting aside that my imagination is a horrible, horrible place to be stuck in...there are some things.

.hack//INFECTION = So, you beat the nigh-unbeatable killing machine that is Skeith, whom has been one-hitting you and your comrades despite being levels above the dungeon limit, and he melts. Fabulous. Then, earthquakes start as the game (The World) you're playing in the game freaks out and something erupts from the ground... WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?! [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ew2L-AT9S8] No preparation, no explanation (yet), and actually no battle because this freaky-ass thing blasts you away by roaring. This is, of course, the setup to the rest of the series, but for a moment there I thought I had to fight that thing, and for the rest of the series I dreaded running into Cubia...

Extermination - So, this game was a Survival Horror game that was not a part of the Resident Evil franchise, which took things a different way. Your 'villain' was whatever the hell was growing and infecting everything in an Antarctic research center, and one of the things going on was that people - INCLUDING YOU - were being taken over when the infection reached a critical mass and exploded out through all your cells at once from a core area. There were alien organism inhabiting and taking over the human or animal body, but it wasn't just that. The alien infection spread everywhere. Walls, ceilings, floors... People were somehow trapped IN the walls suddenly, meaning that the stuff on the walls reached out and absorbed them, meaning that THE WALLS ARE EATING PEOPLE!!!

And of course...DEATHCLAWS!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
The Flying Polyps in Dark Corners Of the Earth would probably do it for me. If you ever played the game you would understand. Just their entrance is bizarre and terrifying. They are so fucking unnatural
I would also say the Shoggoth from the same game due to the fact that it is incredibly fucked up looking and the fact that you
CAN'T FUCKING KILL IT!
The Slayers from the Suffering are also pretty unnerving since they can climb up walls and make a terrifying clack clack sound on the walls and most of the time you don't know where they are until they drop down on you

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Thaluikhain said:
Hawki said:
-The Weeping Angels (Doctor Who)
Ah, but was that the case in any story after Blink, though? They went downhill fast.
True, but they did retain some of their creepiness in Flesh & Stone.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Thaluikhain said:

It's in a kid's cartoon for all of 3 mins, but...cor...
... creepy. I like it. Now to find more Trapdoor...

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
I once saw this film a long time ago called 'Fallen' i think, starring Denzel Washington, the...errm, antagonist in that is pretty worrying. What it can do to screw with you.
Check out some IMDB reviews of it if you want to know more. It has some great actors but due to box office shortcomings and being more 'psychological' than 'gore and action' horror/chiller elements, is hardly known, but it has gained cult status; http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0119099/reviews?ref_=m_tt_urv#showAll
Oh yea, Azazel was pretty cool, in a terrifying way. Good movie.

My pick would be the Reapers from Mass Effect 1. I was legitimately convinced the universe was fucked after the conversation with Sovereign.

Second pick, Duriel from Diablo 2. Just pure terror that boss. You get dropped into a small room, meanwhile this giant muscular maggot demon charges the shit out of you, and bashes you into oblivion. HOLY CRAP TP TP TP!!!!!

Honourable mentions to humans, for generally being depicted as terrifying scumbags in a lot of movies. Nothing more horrifying than realizing that real humans actually do some of the things, and that you are also capable of it.

I am sure I am missing some good ones.

Jan 18, 2012
The scariest monsters to me were always the ones that stripped away a person's personality and individuality. The Borg, Zombies, The Cybermen, The indoctrinated Reaper forces; any enemy that wipes away a persons identity to absorb them into a hive mind always creeps me the fuck out.

If were going more specifically, the scariest and most disturbing enemy I've seen is The Broodmother from Dragon Age: Origins. Everything about it from its appearance, its abilities in the fight, to its fucked up creation always makes me dread fighting it. Having my party hack it to death with swords and daggers is the most merciful thing I could have done to it.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I always found villains who simultaneously come off as incredibly intelligent but also on the verge of insanity the most compelling and dangerous. So for example The Joker, Vaas (from Far Cry 3), and Sander Cohen (from Bioshock) all stand out to me.

Although the only character I can think of who evokes immediate cursing and fleeing from me is this guy:

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
The only villains I know of that really, truly bother me on a personal level are the ones like the AI from "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream."

Any villain that combines senseless torture WITH the inability to let the poor victim(s) die is a degree of evil that makes me legitimately uncomfortable to even think about. Much more so than regular torturous deaths or senseless slaughter.

As far as just plain well-done villains that send a chill down the spine, "The Dark Knight"'s Joker is a good contender. Villains that utilize humanity's weaknesses to turn people against each other tend to be quite enjoyable.

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
Nemesis from Resident Evil 3 will always be the villain that has terrified me the most. Everything about him petrified me when I first play that game, his: looks, weapons, voice and never ending quest to ruin your face and haunt you as you move through Racoon City. Not only did you have to deal with the usual crow jump scares and zombie apocalypse stuff, but now you had to do it with the knowledge that you were being hunted by a behemoth of a creature.