Scariest way to die in a game.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Also from Resident Evil 4:

Any of the ways "It" can kill you. I.e.: Grabbed by the neck and getting it broken, or getting grabbed by the leg and getting cut in half.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I hate instakill animations that you cannot avoid. Its sudden and frustrating to be slicing up a dragon in skyrim on his left, then teleport in front only to be thrown around and dead, despite you being fine at what you are doing.

The most gruesome? Probobly the final boss death in Dead Space 1 (YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS), if not its the pukers in Dead Space 2

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
I nearly shat myself when I was insta-killed by a reaper/chainsaw maniac in RE mercs when I didn't see them coming on a few occasions.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
skywolfblue said:
SoranMBane said:
All of the death scenes in Dead Space 2 that give you a nice close-up of Isaac's face, like the tripod in the church, the eye poke machine, or getting grabbed by Marker-Nicole during the final boss fight. They just disturb me to no end, and I usually pause and reload the checkpoint if I mess up during those bits rather than continue to watch. It's strange, because all of the other death scenes, where Isaac's helmet stays on, are usually pretty entertaining to me. It's just being forced to watch his terrified face (or not-so-terrified in the case of the final boss fight, which actually just makes it worse) while it happens that gets to me.
I'll have to /third Dead Space.

Particularly the eye poke machine, and the small head-with-tentacles necromorph that rips Issac's head off inserts itself and starts walking around as a zombie. That creeped me out to no end.
Please tell me you know of the Hive Mind Execution/Death? Thats by far one of the most painful deaths I can imagine. The fact that they make it that long to die is gruesome enough by itself.

Even if Dead Space isn't liked, give it credit for its wide variety of deaths

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
CrystalShadow said:
Yes, falling off of something, and watching the ground rush towards you in mirror's edge actually scared me.
I think "OH SHIT!" every time this kind of thing happens to me in a video game, even if I know I'm not going to die from it like in Portal. Other than that, getting the back of my skull blown out the front of my head when I'm sneaking around always scares the shit out of me.

Also Creepers.*shudders*

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
while not exactly death occurring, most of the time anyways, I'd have to say the parts that terrified me the most were in Siren New Translation and Deadly Premonition where you have to hide from the enemy and see from their perspective how close they are to actually seeing you, and what makes it worse is that these enemies are practically human, making it that much more terrifying than any monster - the fact that real people could and would do these things to you.
Enemies that didn't possess a human quality to them never really scared me.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
When I get really sucked into Skyrim, it's late and night I'm sneaking around in some dungeon or something like that and my tired overworked brain fails to notice the Chaurus Reaper in the distance running full speed at me so that it can have a tasty snack of me with a salad on the side.

The most gruesome though would have to be in RE4 when I was first starting out, I died a few times and saw a clocktower so I was like hmmm that'd be a great place to camp out and kill all the zombies, but the moment I climbed to the top a god damn chainsaw guy appeared and before I could react he was up the ladder chopping my head off. >.<

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Aside from penumbra or ots sequel, the most recent thing that freaks me out is Day Z, the arma 2 mod. When its pitch black out, and your walking up a hill in a pine forest, and you think you hear something, but all you have are flares, so you toss one. The scene lights up and you are SURROUNDED by zombies, who all now can see you and then your worm food. Or when you know theres someone out there watchin you through a scope and you think "Am I hiding well enough, can they see me" Then you hear a shot and die and jump out of your fucking seat

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
majora13 said:
Getting impaled by a giant spider in Limbo scared the piss out of me.
Totally. I didn't even notice it (thinking it was part of a tree) until suddenly that awesomely meaty sound effect happened and my little body was flicked contemptuously off a pointy arachnid limb.

Bitcoon

May 16, 2012
Chester Rabbit said:
Being liquidated in a Collector pod.

Think of it. Locked in a small confined space, suddenly you feel this mild burning...it begging to intensify becoming stronger and stronger to the point that you are grabbing at yourself trying to figure out why you are in such pain and then you see your hand start to melt away before you very eyes, and soon all of you is doing the same.
I think the same would apply to being eaten alive by something. Assuming you don't meet your fate at the crushing jaws beforehand, you're left stewing in powerful stomach acids as you wait for death by suffocation, digestion, or drowning in acid.

Suddenly getting crushed by those teeth sounds really good.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Ldude893 said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
This bastard.

For anyone who has played the game: good on you.

Who anyone who hasn't... It's free, a small 30MBs, pretty low required specs, and it's scary.
Meh, I know scarier [http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-087]

EDIT: Okay, okay, so it's not from a game but it's in the same web series.
But there are SCP-087 games:

SCP-087 (video description has links to download): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiHQN1q8ln4

... And SCP-087-B, which was inspired by the first one and made by the guy that made Containment Breach: http://scpcb.wordpress.com/scp-087-b/

Who knew just walking down a staircase could be so goddamn terrifying. D:

iamzim101

Feb 22, 2011
when playing minecraft i get shit scard when i hear a sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Shivering Isles back in the day was scary when I first got there.

... That Gatekeeper was creepy as hell.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Terminate421 said:
skywolfblue said:
SoranMBane said:
All of the death scenes in Dead Space 2 that give you a nice close-up of Isaac's face, like the tripod in the church, the eye poke machine, or getting grabbed by Marker-Nicole during the final boss fight. They just disturb me to no end, and I usually pause and reload the checkpoint if I mess up during those bits rather than continue to watch. It's strange, because all of the other death scenes, where Isaac's helmet stays on, are usually pretty entertaining to me. It's just being forced to watch his terrified face (or not-so-terrified in the case of the final boss fight, which actually just makes it worse) while it happens that gets to me.

Particularly the eye poke machine, and the small head-with-tentacles necromorph that rips Issac's head off inserts itself and starts walking around as a zombie. That creeped me out to no end.
Please tell me you know of the Hive Mind Execution/Death? Thats by far one of the most painful deaths I can imagine. The fact that they make it that long to die is gruesome enough by itself.

Oh yes.

I had an absolute pain of a time constantly dying in that phase (shooting accurately while being tossed around like that is TOUGH!). So I got to see it over and over and over...

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
I remember my entire party dying and leaving me alone in the Deep Roads against an army of giant spiders in Dragon Age: Origins. I ended up getting mauled to death by one while his creepy spider friends watched.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
skywolfblue said:
Terminate421 said:
skywolfblue said:
SoranMBane said:

Oh yes.

I had an absolute pain of a time constantly dying in that phase (shooting accurately while being tossed around like that is TOUGH!). So I got to see it over and over and over...
Ironically I never found that part hard to do. I blame Halo for giving me quick instinct on shooting.

I pretty much only know about the death from Youtube

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Alien vs Predator as a Human, it's my favorite playthrough but damn when I sometimes missed an alien in the shadow and the next thing that happens is an alien face on my screen.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
This may seem odd, but I'm going to go with a Civ late game zerg rush by a country with superior numbers/tech. There are obviously many adreneline-y scary ways to die, but this for me has that dread. Action/horror game deaths are being gunned down in a mugging. Civ deaths are lingering, terminal illnesses. I find the second far more distressing.

Mainly because I know the time I put into that game was wasted because I didn't spend enough time on military relative to whoever is coming for me. That even if I can get the invaders to stop, I'm probably going to be hurt enough to not win.

Death in most games either means reloading last save (rarely more than an hour, far less with autosave) or if something troublesome (Dark/Demon's Souls), death tends to happen quite quickly.

For me, nothing matches that dread of watching another country slowly take over your own, dooming you with each city lost.