Scary Movie, pl0x

Zuljeet

Jan 14, 2010
So... I need a movie that will make me regret turning the lights off... In broad daylight. Any suggestions, gentle Escapists? I would really appreciate it.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
The Descent is pretty good for daytime I believe. What I mean by 'pretty good' is it scared the crap out of me, and I don't scare easily. I can't stand any of these modern 'gorenography' movies simply because both CGI and practical special effects have gotten so good that everyone seems to have forgotten how to write.

The Descent. Love it.

Also, I liked Session 9 because a lot of that movie takes place in the daytime. It's more creepy than anything, probably because it reminds me of 70s horror movies for some reason. It takes its own damn time and doesn't care if you want it to hurry up or not.

Also, check out the movie Absentia from 2011. It's on Netflix Instant now. It was actually a Kickstarter, and after seeing Absentia, I wish I had sent some money their way because--you gotta see it. If you're tired of stupid overt special effects and want to see just what a determined director can do with such a limited budget, check out Absentia.

Absentia was filmed with a budget of less than $75,000 on a fucking SLR [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371503,00.asp]. Incredible.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
The Tennant:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074811/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Dark Corners:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485376/?ref_=sr_6

Invasion of the Body snatchers:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077745/?ref_=sr_2

Ju-On:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364385/board/nest/140334680?ref_=tt_bd_1

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
This thread is definitely of interest. I have a tradition where I watch one new horror movie each day for a week around Halloween. Last year was a dire disappointment. Help me fellow Escapists. You're my only hope.

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
Grave Encounters. I plug that movie whenever possible.

It's the best "found footage"-esque movie I've ever seen. It's set up like one of those "ghost hunters" shows, but instead of giving you the occasional drip of ghost activity, it turns on the fire hose. It wasn't loved by critics, but what horror movie is? It's really great at building tension, and making your eyes dart around the screen trying to guess where the next ghost is going to pop out.

Just watch it. Please. Do it for me. It's on netflix, I think. Skip the sequel though.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Most recent one I watched was Insidious and it was surprisingly good; I half expected to be less than impressed. Well made film and a nice build-up of tension. The reveal in the 3rd Act was 'meh' for me (it looked a bit lame) but the finale ratcheted it right back up.

I'm a big fan of The Orphanage/El Orfanato, too. The atmosphere is fantastic. Such a sad, sad film.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I recently watched one called V/H/S [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2105044/?ref_=sr_2] that scared the pants off of me. There were a few daylight moments too so now I'm even more scared of the woods than I was before. ;_;
FrozenCones said:
This thread is definitely of interest. I have a tradition where I watch one new horror movie each day for a week around Halloween. Last year was a dire disappointment. Help me fellow Escapists. You're my only hope.
I watch horrors all the time, so I'll be tagging this thread too! :D

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Necromentia
The Thing (John Carpenter)
Re-Animator
Day of the Dead (George Romero)
Candyman
Hellraiser 2
Ginger Snaps
Seed
Dagon
Inside
Session 9
Thirteen Ghosts (Modern remake)
28 Days Later
Dead End
Reeker
Martyrs
Pulse
American Mary
May
Shutter (American Remake)
The Mist
Grave Encounters
REC
Frozen (by Adam Green)

Im watching Frankensteins Army tomorrow....so hopefully i will add that. :)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Juste Goose said:
Grave Encounters. I plug that movie whenever possible.

It's the best "found footage"-esque movie I've ever seen. It's set up like one of those "ghost hunters" shows, but instead of giving you the occasional drip of ghost activity, it turns on the fire hose. It wasn't loved by critics, but what horror movie is? It's really great at building tension, and making your eyes dart around the screen trying to guess where the next ghost is going to pop out.

Just watch it. Please. Do it for me. It's on netflix, I think. Skip the sequel though.
Oh yeah man. +1 to Grave Encounters. I liked it for what it was, which was a decent attempt at a found footage movie. Way better than other movies that have horrible, contrived reasons for having a camera recording nearby.

Teoes said:
Most recent one I watched was Insidious and it was surprisingly good; I half expected to be less than impressed. Well made film and a nice build-up of tension. The reveal in the 3rd Act was 'meh' for me (it looked a bit lame) but the finale ratcheted it right back up.

I'm a big fan of The Orphanage/El Orfanato, too. The atmosphere is fantastic. Such a sad, sad film.
I always forget to give Insidious a try as well. Mostly because the father was in Watchmen (I believe) and Hard Candy.

OP! Hard Candy! It's...watching that movie may cause you physical pain. But not because it's bad. While not a horror movie, it's worth watching I think. Also, Ellen Page is a plus.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
The Thing (1982).

Easily my favorite horror movie, and honestly, one of my favorite movies just in general. It's pretty well-written, has believable characters, has some really fantastic practical effects work, and it has some really great tension since no one can really trust each other.

Do yourself a favor and skip the 2010 remake/prequel (it's a prequel, but it has the exact same story) though. The writing is much worse, the characters are mostly forgettable, and the special effects on it are pretty terrible. It also creates a few plot holes and inconsistencies if you're one to care about that sort of thing.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon: Book of the dead would be my humble suggestion. I haven't watched it recently, not sure how good it is in the grand scheme of things, but I suggest it none the less as it's pretty memorable.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107664/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

I can second "Dagon."

Which leads me to think of "Lord of Illusions" for some reason.

That leads me to think of the "Phantasm" movies. Just thinking about them still kinda creeps me out.

And that leads me to "Prince of Darkness."

"The Blob" 1988 version is more fun, and has some pretty wild melty person FX. I don't think I've seen much better/more memorable melty persons.

"Night of the Comet" isn't too bad, but horror heavy it ain't.

Man, this thread has me looking up some movies from my youth that might not fit the theme so well like "Ninja III: the domination" a Sho Kosugi movie where an evil ninja possesses a woman for revenge! Not huge on the horror, though.

And the "Maniac Cop" series about an undead cop out for revenge.

Some other movies, too, that don't meet the criteria.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
[...]
"The Blob" 1988 version is more fun, and has some pretty wild melty person FX. I don't think I've seen much better/more memorable melty persons.

[...]
Yeah man, The Blob remake was pretty horrifying in its day. And Night of the Comet was a fun little movie. I believe it also starred a young Robert Beltran of Star Trek: Voyager fame (Chakotay).

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
FizzyIzze said:
Rebel_Raven said:
[...]

[...]
Yeah man, The Blob remake was pretty horrifying in its day. And Night of the Comet was a fun little movie. I believe it also starred a young Robert Beltran of Star Trek: Voyager fame (Chakotay).
Yep! Robert Beltran was in Night of the Comet. :)
It's a pretty neat apocalypse movie.

Yeah, the Blob is kinda tame these days, but still impressive to see, IMO. If not scary/horrifying, impressive to see. 'z a main reason I recommend it.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Rebel_Raven said:
Yep! Robert Beltran was in Night of the Comet. :)
It's a pretty neat apocalypse movie.

Yeah, the Blob is kinda tame these days, but still impressive to see, IMO. If not scary/horrifying, impressive to see. 'z a main reason I recommend it.
I am definitely going to have to check out Dagon now thanks to you.

Also, OP, if you haven't seen the original Alien, I think it'll be right up your alley. Granted, there is one sketchy special effects scene, but it won't ruin much.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I was very surprised by Sinister last year. It's actually been getting good reviews for any genre, let alone a horror movie. Highly recommended by me.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Compatriot Block said:
I was very surprised by Sinister last year. It's actually been getting good reviews for any genre, let alone a horror movie. Highly recommended by me.
That's on my list :)

Oh right, hey OP, if you have patience and stamina, check out Lake Mungo. It's long, and very slow paced, but I liked it. Think of it as a documentary. It was worth sitting through till the end.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Oh, I forgot Wishmaster movies that have Andrew Divoff in them. And only those. Sequels beyond that kidna went down hill.

captcha: Blinded by science
Curses! I'm too groggy to think of anything witty to do with that in a thread that seems perfect for it. lol

mrvenom

Jan 3, 2010
Compatriot Block said:
Pretty damn good watch though. You won't be looking at pictures the same way anymore.

And Grave Encounters.. The man in the corner 0.0... The girl O.O *Shivers*