Scarygirl Review

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Woah, I rembember this from some kind of 2D Flash game, I'm pretty sure it was the exact same protagonist and setting. It's nice to see that the devs have made it to a full product!

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
This reminded me of Alt-Escape man, I miss that section if I remember correctly John Funk reviewed the flash version of this game there, well whatever looks nice, I believe you can play the flash version at www.scarygirl.com, it's pretty damn well produced for a flash game BTW.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Major warning to anyone who's interested in this game: Do play the trial version before buying.

I loved the look and style of the game, and greatly enjoyed the combat which elevated itself above the norm with some sctual depth and technique. I also haven't played a proper side scrolling platformer for a while so was eager for the playstyle.

I, however, hated how the game actually felt to play. It was extremely loose and slippery with none of the precision that makes a great 2D platformer (or any platformer, really) play like a great 2D platformer. It also had the troubling perspective issues that plagued the Klonoa games as it's also a 2D game with 2.5D presentation. You get the same wonkiness of trying to judge heights and distances while trying to essentially jump around curves that you had in Klonoa but none of the tightness of play that Klonoa had.

Basically, if you can look beyond how the game actually feels to play then there seems like there would be a lot to like, but the slippery and loose movement isn't easy to ignore.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
StriderShinryu said:
Major warning to anyone who's interested in this game: Do play the trial version before buying.

I loved the look and style of the game, and greatly enjoyed the combat which elevated itself above the norm with some sctual depth and technique. I also haven't played a proper side scrolling platformer for a while so was eager for the playstyle.

I, however, hated how the game actually felt to play. It was extremely loose and slippery with none of the precision that makes a great 2D platformer (or any platformer, really) play like a great 2D platformer. It also had the troubling perspective issues that plagued the Klonoa games as it's also a 2D game with 2.5D presentation. You get the same wonkiness of trying to judge heights and distances while trying to essentially jump around curves that you had in Klonoa but none of the tightness of play that Klonoa had.

Basically, if you can look beyond how the game actually feels to play then there seems like there would be a lot to like, but the slippery and loose movement isn't easy to ignore.
Wow, I didn't experience that at all. I didn't feel like it was at all loose or slippery and had no problems whatsoever. I had far bigger issues with LittleBigPlanet, for example, which I felt was very difficult to line up properly.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
It also had the troubling perspective issues that plagued the Klonoa games as it's also a 2D game with 2.5D presentation. You get the same wonkiness of trying to judge heights and distances while trying to essentially jump around curves that you had in Klonoa but none of the tightness of play that Klonoa had.
Hmmm, I never had any issue with the platforming in Klonoa myself. Then again I've probably played through them enough by now to memorise the levels, so I don't know if that makes me a better or worse judge of the platforming.

As for Scarygirl, does look interesting - havn't played a good platformer in a long time. The gem sounds made me reminiscent of the first Rayman (the tings made a tune / scale as you collected them). Might have to give the demo a go.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Some of the music sounds like it was done by Danny Baranowsky, who did the music for Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac. I know it probably isn't, because his webpage doesn't have this game listed, I just thought it was interesting to hear the similarity of styles.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
The nice thing about these downloadable games is that there always seems to be something for a certain itch I may be feeling at the time. There was Shadow Complex for the time I wanted to do some obsessive exploring, and then there was Puzzle Quest for when I felt like playing Bejeweled repeatedly, and then there was Deathspank for when I wanted to do some RPG endless questing LOL

Though platforming might be a bit dulled right now, seeing how 'Splosion Man and Super Meat Boy have spanked me so hard x.X

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
StriderShinryu said:

Wow, I didn't experience that at all. I didn't feel like it was at all loose or slippery and had no problems whatsoever. I had far bigger issues with LittleBigPlanet, for example, which I felt was very difficult to line up properly.
It is possible that it was because I was using the analog stick as opposed to the dpad.. and I'm not sure that I tried the dpad at all. Either way, I actually had my MS points all lined up and ready to go for this one but ended up not spending them after playing the trial.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
A little girl armed with a fish on a rod? Damn it, that was my idea, game!

Ah well, I never would have used it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Phisi said:
IT IS OCTOPUSES!!! Seriously, there was a Name-Game comic about this :(
Yes, and one of the replies to that comic was a very in-depth explanation of why both forms are acceptable.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Played the demo, felt like Awesome-era Tim Burton fell in love with a Sackgirl, and they made a beautiful baby together. I intend on picking this up come payday.

WillItWork

Apr 7, 2008
That was pretty much my thought.

Played it a fair bit, but didn't want to pay for the saves, so never got far.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I can't wait for this to hit Steam, I think my six-year-old would love this (particularly Bunniguru, he loves rabbits).

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Shawn MacDonald said:
God I hate her voice so much.
You're not the only one. I just find many of her reviews plain unhelpful, or uncharming.

Anyway, the game itself looks fun. Looks more like Klonoa: Door to Phantomile than Sonic or Mario (that's a compliment).

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I also remember this as the 2D Flash game, which unfortunately didn't get very high reviews, but I loved it. I almost miss her not speaking, although her having a voice made it much easier to tell what was going on.

I'm a little surprised to not read a single mention of Tim Burton in the review. Interesting.