Scavenge and Sneak in The War Z's Latest Co-Op Trailer

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Scavenge and Sneak in The War Z's Latest Co-Op Trailer

The zombie-survival shooter shows a few improvements over its rival.

There's another "undead apocalypse" sandbox game shuffling into the scene to join DayZ. The War Z was announced a couple of months ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118614-Zombies-Eat-the-World-in-The-War-Z-MMO] by new development studio Hammerpoint Interactive, and comparisons were immediately drawn between the two. Some alpha gameplay footage of The War Z was previewed at PAX, and it appears that both games are still looking rather similar right now.

Noticeable differences between the two games include The War Z's simplified inventory system compared to DayZ's multi-grid layout, as well as higher levels of detail and improved zombie animations in Hammerpoint's offering. The video exhibits some slow, cautious gameplay, with plenty of voice chat, flashlights in darkness, scavenging, light and sound meters, and a couple of zombies thrown in for good measure.

An official FAQ states that the MMO focuses on exploration and interaction in the sandbox, rather than storyline. "We're creating an open world for players to live in, explore and ultimately create their own experience," it reads.

"There are no character levels or unrealistic stats, skills or abilities to learn and new players just joining the game will be on almost the same level playing field as a player that has been playing for a month."

The War Z will be sold as a single-purchase download, with microtransactions taking the place of subscription fees. Payments will take place via in-game stores and a frontend Marketplace, but the developers stress that there will be no "pay to win" advantage. The company is also offering private server rental, with support for between 70-250 players.

Closed beta testing is scheduled to start "by the end of summer" for people who pre-order the game, with a launch due for autumn.

Sources: The War Z FAQ [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-war-z-gets-first-gameplay-trailer/0102285]

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
You know, I wouldnt have a problem with this game, if they hadn't aped DayZ's name. Seriously, The WarZ? Yeah, no. Change the name, and I'll start to care about it.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
juyunseen said:
You know, I wouldnt have a problem with this game, if they hadn't aped DayZ's name. Seriously, The WarZ? Yeah, no. Change the name, and I'll start to care about it.
Quite. The industry is built on copying and iteration, but COME ON! They couldn't have advertised that this was a DayZ knock off any more if they tried!

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
juyunseen said:
Pretty sure this was in development before DayZ came out.
And besides, in 2006 there was a book titled "World War Z". So DayZ should change their name first.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
What I'm taking away from the article is that WarZ is a simplified, graphically supererior version of DayZ. So, basically as always: The industry tries to copy something successful, but indie, and gets it totally wrong.

Simplyfy, make the pixels moar bling. *sigh*

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
TheBelgianGuy said:
juyunseen said:
Pretty sure this was in development before DayZ came out.
And besides, in 2006 there was a book titled "World War Z". So DayZ should change their name first.
The Devs 'claim' it was in development first, but it wasnt given an official name until months after DayZ's release, with a feature list that looked strangely similar to everyone's favorite new zombie mod, AND has a highly similar name? DayZ WarZ

Yeah, signs point to them cashing in. It's just conjecture on my part, but it truly looks that way.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
it looks kinda cool though. sure, you can say that is ripping of DAYZ, but if it is fun i don't see any problem with it.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
blackdwarf said:
it looks kinda cool though. sure, you can say that is ripping of DAYZ, but if it is fun i don't see any problem with it.
I suppose so. Best thing to do is just wait until it and DayZ's solo release are out. Judge which one is more worth everyone's time.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
The talk in that video felt incredibly forced.

Looks alright though.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Seems way cooler than DayZ to me. I've had nothing but terrible experiences in DayZ. I have zero luck, followed guides to try and get better and still get fucked over. The zombies seem to be much more fluid in this one, instead of that jittery crap in DayZ. This hit the vibe much better than I felt DayZ did.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
juyunseen said:
blackdwarf said:
I suppose so. Best thing to do is just wait until it and DayZ's solo release are out. Judge which one is more worth everyone's time.
i think that in case many people will be happy. i think i will prefer this version above dayz, mainly because that engine has issues with my pc. but i know that there are enough people who prefer dayz, so i see this pretty much as a win win. although fanboyism with tear it apart.. again.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
blackdwarf said:
juyunseen said:
blackdwarf said:
i think that in case many people will be happy. i think i will prefer this version above dayz, mainly because that engine has issues with my pc. but i know that there are enough people who prefer dayz, so i see this pretty much as a win win. although fanboyism with tear it apart.. again.
I wont lie, I'm gonna fall into the 'This is a ripoff' camp, but I understand where you're coming from. The ArmA engine SUCKS. And the Zombie AI is awful, my computer has problems with it, and I really would prefer a more stable engine. But WarZ just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

TL;DR I respect your opinion good sir. Let's enjoy what we wish to enjoy.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Kinda strange how that guy could just shine a light in the zombies face repeatedly without it even reacting. The game just seems to be missing the tension and hardcore factor of DayZ, silencers on assault rifles makes it a little too easy.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
"Silencer" That's all I needed to hear to know I'll be avoiding this like a puss-filled wound to the face. But, there are enough zombie titles being released that at least one of them's likely to get right what this one appears to have gotten wrong, chiefly among them potentially being DayZ when it ports over to the new engine and gets a stand-alone release.
Oh, and did anyone find the proportions of that "woman" in the trailer really skinny and off? Or was that just me?

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
DustlessDragoon said:
Kinda strange how that guy could just shine a light in the zombies face repeatedly without it even reacting. The game just seems to be missing the tension and hardcore factor of DayZ, silencers on assault rifles makes it a little too easy.

yea thought that was weird too. i like the light mechanics in LFD where the witch is aware of the light. silencers can work if there are really rare and weapon specific so that you have to make decisions when you find more guns can't carry. but i agree. although it looks that they are trying, the weapon did destroy the effect that DAYz has, so you get a LFD scenario where zombies aren't scary.

which i hope they do is that voice chat is not a common thing. it would be cool if you have to find walkie talkies to talk they way they did in the trailer, but if this would be standard, that would destroy the experiences.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I never did play Day Z so I can't draw a comparison or argue whether this is a rip off or not. However I can say that this looks like a ton of fun.

While I do agree that there was little tension in the video it did seem like that guy was pretty well off. I focused more on the dude on the freeway who could only provide lookout cause he was so low on weapons.

Looking forward to this games release!