SCEA: PS3 Slim Boosts Hardware Sales 300%

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SCEA: PS3 Slim Boosts Hardware Sales 300%

Looks like the redesigned, cheaper PS3 might be just what Sony needed for a second wind in the console war: Sony America has announced that the console has seen a 300% increase in hardware sales since the launch of the Slim.

Earlier this week, we reported that the Slim had been a success in both Japan and the UK [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94525-PS3-Sales-Soar-With-Release-of-the-Slim], where week-to-week hardware sales had increased by 1500% and 1000%, respectively. Now, it looks like the third piece of the puzzle is falling into place, as Sony Computer Entertainment America has reported a 300% increase in hardware sales, coinciding with a 140% increase in revenue.

It's certainly good news for Sony, which certainly needed a bit of a jolt to get back into the console war, and is now in prime position to steal the show this holiday season despite rival Microsoft's matching price cut for its Xbox 360. While the new price point and shiny new console probably contribute the most to this boost in sales, one can't ignore the fact that Sony's new Nigeria might have to say [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94235-PS3-Slim-Does-Everything-Says-Ads] in response.

The numbers feel a bit weird, though. The massive increases in the UK and Japan - while certainly impressive - are a result of demand for the PS3 Fat all but dying out the week before the Slim's launch (not that it stopped the Slim from outperforming the original PS3's launch in Japan, though) and it's strange to imagine that North American consumers would be so out of line with the rest of the world here. Did demand for the original PS3 not fall as sharply? Was the PS3 Slim less of a hot item here? Or is SCEA just counting differently, and not using the uber-low numbers from the week before as the benchmark, but going with some sort of average?

I suppose we won't know - not for a while, anyway. While the NPD numbers for August will be released later today, the report won't include any data about the PS3 Slim, or the new price points for the PS3 and Xbox 360 - we'll have to wait another month before we get anything concrete as far as that's concerned.

Now, this news post has been entirely too positive toward Sony, don't you think? I mean, as a member of the gaming press it is my contractual obligation to bash Sony and the PS3 wherever possible, and I've really been failing at that this time around. So here goes: A 300% increase from 10 systems sold, maybe. Maybe those forty new PS3 owners can watch some LittleBigGearSolid after they play Lair and Ridge Racer, lol!

...okay, good. Contractual obligation fulfilled, now congrats, Sony.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/10/scea-300-increase-in-hardware-sales-thanks-to-299-12gb-ps3/])

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Redesigned? Probably not so much. Cheaper? Definitely closer to home. I'm sure the redesign helped, but it's definitely the price drop that drove people to it.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
It does everything? Like cure cancer, stops global warming...

Stupid advert aside, well done to Sony. But until Microsoft have had a go at rerleasing a new console, they can't claim second place yet.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Let's see how long these sales last. I predict that is sales will drop off in a month or so then surge again like a rocket in the holiday season. Sales for PS3 and PS3 games will be awesome this year for Christmas. Especially since HDTV prices have been dropping like a rock in water. I want to Best Buy the other day and freaked out. They had a special for a Samsung 42" 1080p with 3 HDMI ports for $699.99. I needs me some cash!!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Now, this news post has been entirely too positive toward Sony, don't you think? I mean, as a member of the gaming press it is my contractual obligation to bash Sony and the PS3 wherever possible, and I've really been failing at that this time around. So here goes: A 300% increase from 10 systems sold, maybe. Maybe those forty new PS3 owners can watch some LittleBigGearSolid after they play Lair and Ridge Racer, lol!

Is that a joke at how people have been claiming the news team is biased, a slight joke about how PS3 news hasn't been positive until recently, or both?

But yeah, like I said before: wait and see how they do over time.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
scotth266 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Is that a potshot at how people have been claiming the news team is biased, a slight joke about how PS3 news hasn't been positive until recently, or both?

Yes.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
300%? I am beginning to think that people are just making up large percentages to make it look like everyone is getting one... except you.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
scotth266 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Is that a potshot at how people have been claiming the news team is biased, a slight joke about how PS3 news hasn't been positive until recently, or both?

Yes.
Very cryptic. I like the philosophical connotations.

The meaning of life is yes.

EDIT: Potshot was a bad word to use: I just didn't feel like saying joke twice in the same sentence.

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
A bloke walked out of GAME past me with a brand new boxed PS3 slim under his arm and a smile on his face, and then he dropped it in street and heard me laugh.

That apart, its true I have definatley seen a lot more PS3 slims being sold in my local game stores, and they arent even sold with games!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
People are sheep. Shine a turd and people will "ooh and ahh" then buy it. Even though last week they didn't want it.

Advert says buy...

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
I bought one.
Only problem is, will I buy a game for 360 or for PS3? For the non-exclusives...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'd like the slim just for the simple fact it has buttons, the current PS3 pisses me off, I'll hit the "metal off touch sensitive device" and it'll beep at me and not shut down, so I gotta wait, and wait, then I try again and it just crashes, brilliant.

Though I'll be keeping mine since this is when Sony supported backwards compatibility, so I can remote play PSone games from anywhere with wireless.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Joshimodo said:
300%?

Considering it was 999% a few days ago...

These numbers don't seem true.
Reading the article helps. Japan was up 1500%, UK up 1000% (or 999% if you're being picky) whereas America is up 300% for hardware sales. Second paragraph. It's all there.