Scenes as a child that you found horrifying in non-horror movies.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
E.T. every minute of it.
Even as an adult I hate it like poison.

"Oh, it's a heartwarming tale of a young lad and his emotional bond with a fastastical being."

Bullshit on a stick!

It's a movie about a screeching space monster forming a parasitic bond with an unsuspecting boy who then barely escapes the bullet riddled death it so richly deserved.

Also the Sesame street Egyptian tomb skit with Burt and Ernie scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Honestly, pretty much all the "Indiana Jones" movies had one scene that absolutely scared the crap out of me.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: When they open the Ark (someone already mentioned this).

Temple of Doom: Where they rip out the guys heart then sacrifice him in the lava pit.

The Last Crusade: When the Evil Nazi guy drinks from the wrong grail and ages super-fast.

I had to close my eyes on all 3 of those scenes for years.

Oh, and I second "Watership Down". I still can't believe that it is considered a kid's movie.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Can't find a video, but here is a gem from my childhood.

Behold, a G-rated movie where the protagonist goes to hell!

No beating around the bush. Protagonist is an asshole, says "fuck you" to heaven and heaven says "well fuck you too, so here's your alternative". Gets a dream where he gets tossed around and shocked in vicious storms, ripped apart by demonic imps, and a lava river overseen by two hellhound dragons, one of which can be interpreted as a Charon figure and the other Satan. Icing on the cake is that this hell actually exists in the movie (creatures and all)...and Charlie goes there briefly offscreen.

And this scene comes out of NOWHERE! There are some dark tones in ADGTH but THIS just goes straight down. Not to mention it's sandwiched between a cheesy song about how sharing is caring and...the musical number featuring a giant singing gator.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Well I was kind of ninja'd on Willy Wonka, but I was terrified by the girl being turned into a huge blueberry.

I was also terrified by about 90% of Mrs. Doubtfire.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
That dang clown fro Brave Little Toaster. Those who didn't see the movie when they were young. Lucky bastards. Those that did. You are scarred for life even if you don't know it..............I hate the clown.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
When I was REALLY little, the abombidable snowman from that Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer got me. I rewatched it last year and realized that the hiker had a GUN the whole time

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Edit: How could I forgot about this? This was the most terrifying thing ever when I was kid. Hell its still creepy now.

Was there anyone not scared shitless by this? he gets slowly crushed, cartoon physics plus a real life actor is disturbing already and people getting melted in general freaked me out.
I vaguely remember there also being a scene like that in a Robocop movie and of course Raiders of the Lost Ark which has already been mentioned.

And these (I think it was mostly the sound of the wheels). I remember literally nothing else from this movie but the Wheelers.
But these two scenes where meant to be scary at least.

These things for labyrinth also scared me.

When Dumbo gets "drunk"
I'm not sure whether that was intended to actually be scary or just WTH but I found it terrifying when I was I child.

DjinnFor said:
This, because Fantasia, that's why. And
mostly because the "good guy" loses.

I think I cried at that scene. I can't remember if it was because it was scary or sad or both. Probably both

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
I third the notion of Watership Down. The one particular sequence with unsettles me the most is actually, the stylized 'Myth' introduction, where we meet Frith and El-ahrairah. It still makes me tense, both in terms of music and visuals. Not to mention the Bloody Horizon sequence. I'm not entirely sure I recovered from that yet.

Another thing I'd say horrified me as a kid was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, when we get the introduction of "The Dip". I know its just a cartoon character and all, but JESUS!

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
The scene where the mask falls out the window and gets run over by a truck in Mrs. Doubtfire... Man that messed me up and, most likely, is the reason for my obsession with masks.

Secondly, the scene where the main baddie in Casper commits (SPOILEEEEEERS) suicide so as to attain the power of ghosts... I could not stop contemplating the motive behind her heinous actions and my parents just did not understand why I was so upset by it... But then again, I had a horrible fear of actually being a robot and therefore my existence being futile at the age of THREE.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I can't remember the name, but there was this cartoon movie about Rabbits, or something. Anyway, at some point during the movie, the forest gets uprooted I think and agriculture is installed, and the Rabbit holes are filled in, suffocating the Bunnies within. Due to it being a cartoon movie, I would probably smirk at it now more than anything, but when I was younger, it scared the absolute fuck out of me.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I can't remember the name, but there was this cartoon movie about Rabbits, or something. Anyway, at some point during the movie, the forest gets uprooted I think and agriculture is installed, and the Rabbit holes are filled in, suffocating the Bunnies within. Due to it being a cartoon movie, I would probably smirk at it now more than anything, but when I was younger, it scared the absolute fuck out of me.
That sounds a lot like Watership Down. I never saw the movie, but I think something like that happened in the book.

OT: People have already mentioned Indiana Jones, but here it is. I could handle angels melting faces, or voodoo priests Kali-Ma-ing people's hearts out. But Walter Donovan getting skeletonized in The Last Crusade scared the fucking shit out of me. Whenever I watch it now I feel a little bit embarrassed.

Sku1c

Jan 19, 2013
I can't remember the name, but there was this cartoon movie about Rabbits, or something. (snip) it scared the absolute fuck out of me.
I think you're referring to Watership Down, that one's fairly well known for the violence it portrayed, despite being made for kids. That, or the Animals of Farthing Wood, a similar series.

As for my own; probably the t-rex from Jurassic Park, that thing scared the crap out of me when I was a kid... to the point where my brother had to complete the lost valley level from tomb raider for me :)

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
MetalDooley said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark

That bit where the Angels faces change..shudder
Mine is from Lost Ark as well. That nazi with the stutter kept me up at nights. Man he freaked me out lol.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
thaluikhain said:
From The Neverending Story

Supposed to be scary, at least to an extent, though.
God yes. Also, the fiery scene from Disney's Robin Hood (the one with animals) got me, I suppose because of the screaming snake.

It's funny though, considering the only scene from Robocop that freaked me out was the dude getting turned into a mutant by toxic waste (and there's so much jacked up stuff in that movie...still can't believe I saw it when I was 4).

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Quadocky said:
In terms of childrens stuff, I saw some pretty fucked up things that scared the hell outta me. Such as that scene in the Brave Little Toaster when the Air Conditioner blows a fuse.
I don't remember that, but it sounds sad. I DO remember the part where they're at the junkyard and the crusher is crushing all the appliances. It had a scary face too....I think...

LittleBumble

Oct 7, 2013
Raggedstar said:
Ah, good old Don Bluth. Man's movies have traumatized so many kids. XD

A bit more on topic: The scene in the first Land Before Time when Little Foot and several of the others fall into a far pit, then as they crawl out: They have the appearance of a REALLY creepy eldritch abomination of sorts, Cera had every right to be frightened. <<;;

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Though I guess the scene is supposed to be a little scary I freaked out as fuck during the scene in Toy Story where Woody(?) is in the fucked up kids room. The toy that especially got to me was the spider baby thing. Had nightmares about that fucker.

The fucked up kids teeth also scared the shit out of me. I was four or five and it was the first time I had seen such animation.

... Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure the entire movie scared me.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
DementedSheep said:
Edit: How could I forgot about this? This was the most terrifying thing ever when I was kid. Hell its still creepy now.

Was there anyone not scared shitless by this? he gets slowly crushed, cartoon physics plus a real life actor is disturbing already and people getting melted in general freaked me out.
I vaguely remember there also being a scene like that in a Robocop movie and of course Raiders of the Lost Ark which has already been mentioned.
Oh holy crap I forgot about that!! Yeah, when Judge Doom pops back up after getting run over, and then his eyes are bugging out and his voice gets all insane, utterly terrified me when I was a kid.