Scenes as a child that you found horrifying in non-horror movies.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
erttheking said:
Sunrider84 said:
Any scene with Ursula in The Little Mermaid, and pretty much anything involving Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty. Fuck my life, those two haunted my dreams for many, many years.

...yes, I'm a massive sissy.
I wasn't bothered by Ursula at all. Maleficent I was ok with for most of the time. However. In the scene where the princess (I honest to Christ can't remember her name. Rose?) was being enchanted to prick her finger, I got treated to THIS.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/forum/36000/36385_1275346073729_full.jpg

That gave me the first nightmare I can remember. Also I didn't finish the movie for awhile.

Kingdom Hearts made her top dog when it came to Disney villains? I UNDERSTAND WHY! Well that and she got off her rear, turned into a fucking dragon and fought the hero herself. That's a plus for a good villain too.
While the embedded picture didn't work, I copypasted it from the quote, and I agree wholeheartedly. Nuke that ***** from orbit.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
EHKOS said:
Quadocky said:
In terms of childrens stuff, I saw some pretty fucked up things that scared the hell outta me. Such as that scene in the Brave Little Toaster when the Air Conditioner blows a fuse.
I don't remember that, but it sounds sad. I DO remember the part where they're at the junkyard and the crusher is crushing all the appliances. It had a scary face too....I think...
Time for some freaky junkyard magnets!

god, I will always love this movie

chickenhound said:

(I have since looked up and viewed the whole trailer, it appears to be a pretty interesting game. kinda obscure now as it was an M rated horror from the time before there was really a market for them..)
I highly recommend playing it if you got a chance. It's a great survival horror game with some interesting gameplay, and the story and characters still hold up well today. If you've got a PS3 it's available on PSN

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Fortunately, I think I was a lot more sheltered in terms of seeing messed up shit than some of you guys. I recall in particular the scene when Stanley first puts on the Mask in the movie as something that shook me up when I was a kid. You're stunned and not sure what the hell is happening, and your mind starts filling in the blanks with horrifying imagery that was never really shown on the screen. I had to stop watching right there, and it wasn't until I tried the film again when I was a year older that I realised it was all in my head.

I think lots of stuff can be terrifying when you're young. I recognise some of these examples, such as the Willy Wonka tunnel, and I recall the T Rex in The Land Before Time being really scary. I saw Watership Down and The Animals of Farthing Wood, though the only thing remember in them is being distinctly dark in mood and tone, and nothing in particular stuck with me.

Also; dear god, that old woman in the Robin Hood film. I grew up watching the VHS video of the classic old style Robin Hood film with that incredibly epic sword fight. I was like "when I'm a grown up, these fights in films are what I want to do."

So when I saw another, newer Robin Hood film playing on the TV, I flicked over to it to check it out; and that scene with the old woman was about 2 minutes into where I joined the film. Never went near the thing since.

I'm glad I grew up with my mother rather than my father on this topic. My mother tried to contain unsettling stuff from reaching my eyes, while my dad generally didn't give a fuck. He has a young daughter who's wailed in many a cinema audience with the stuff he's sometimes taken her to see. He told me he once took her to see The Dark Knight expecting to see "biff!s and pow!s" and had to leave the theatre with her wailing with an imprint in her mind of the Joker threatening people with knives in their mouths.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
moggett88 said:
The scene in Event Horizon where his wife rips Sam Neills eyes out.

I had nightmares about that chick for weeks...
Event Horizon is a horror movie though.Doesn't really belong in this thread

DatedSandwich

Jan 24, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
DatedSandwich said:
The scene in Oliver Twist...

where Nancy gets beaten to death. It really shook me as a child.
I think you're talking about the very same movie I remembering being traumatized by.
She was shaking, wasn't she? The only thing visible was her leg, and it was twitching. Is that correct?
That's the one, that exact scene. It gave me nightmares

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Diddy_Mao said:
E.T. every minute of it.
Even as an adult I hate it like poison.

"Oh, it's a heartwarming tale of a young lad and his emotional bond with a fastastical being."

Bullshit on a stick!
Even to this day I can't watch the opening garage scene where he discovers it. Its just so terrifying to me.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
There was a scene in the original Charlie & the Chocolate Factory where a girl eats something she's not supposed to and she turns purple and swells up like a balloon. I wouldn't give it a second thought now but as a youngster it freaked me out.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
thaluikhain said:
From The Neverending Story

Supposed to be scary, at least to an extent, though.
The scene where the wolf first darts out of the cave freaked me out as a kid.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
DatedSandwich said:
FizzyIzze said:
DatedSandwich said:
The scene in Oliver Twist...

where Nancy gets beaten to death. It really shook me as a child.
I think you're talking about the very same movie I remembering being traumatized by.
She was shaking, wasn't she? The only thing visible was her leg, and it was twitching. Is that correct?
That's the one, that exact scene. It gave me nightmares
I just looked it up. That's the 1968 version, and it was a musical of all things. A musical! What twisted bastard came up with that brilliant idea??? I understand it's in the book, it couldn't be avoided, but something about that scene was just pure awfulness. I recall being attracted to Nancy as a kid, but even after her end I don't think I truly grasped the concept of death; just the general idea that I didn't want to watch musicals.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
MetalDooley said:
moggett88 said:
The scene in Event Horizon where his wife rips Sam Neills eyes out.

I had nightmares about that chick for weeks...
Event Horizon is a horror movie though.Doesn't really belong in this thread
Oops, I posted that having been awake about 30 hours...brain wasn't working do good, missed the second half of the title :s

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
pretty much all of Mars Attacks. I know now it's supposed to be a funny movie but as a kid all I saw was people being evaporated .

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
thaluikhain said:
FalloutJack said:
Okay, couple of things not mentioned.

So...who here remembers the first Star Trek movie? You know, BEFORE Khan. Okay, so I saw that as a child was legitimately interested because I like Star Trek, and then...there was the transporter accident. Yyyup. Freakish loud alarm, a console or something blowing, and people appearing as disfigured mockeries of human life (SCREAMING IN PAIN) before fading out and getting the report that 'what they got back didn't live long...fortunately'.
Oh yeah...that. For me it was all the mucking about trying to fix the problem, things are obviously bad, but people aren't panicking just yet...then "They're forming".

(Fortunately, you'd be killed instantly if that happened, if the human body isn't put back together more or less perfectly, the whole thing fails)
Right, that too. This kind of thing is the reason why the transporter is the one bit of Trek-tech that needs to be invented the least. (There's also the thing about how a transporter wouldn't really transport you; it would use the atoms at your destination to make an identical copy of you, while simultaneously destroying the original you. So if you got into this thing, you'd be committing suicide, but nobody would ever know it.)

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Jurassic Park frightened me...when I was 4. I don't remember the incident, but I was told I ran screaming when the dinosaurs roared, along with my brother. That being said, I loved dinosaurs throughout my childhood.
I also watched a whole bunch of Fairy Tales, which often had a wolf running around in the forest after the kid protagonist. As I never wanted to be hunted by a wolf, I unfortunately never explored the vast wilderness that was my backyard. Sad, now that I think about it. I really wished I had a sense of adventure...

Not a movie, but still a horrifying scene from a game that wasn't that scary:
It made me want to curl up and hide.
I also remember watching G4, and the seeing a trailer for Bioshock, when the Big Daddy's drill went through the protagonists' hand...emerging on the other side. That was pretty fucked up, especially as a 6th grader or whatnot. I still feel queezy about it, as, I mean, A DRILL WENT THROUGH HIS HAND!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Right, that too. This kind of thing is the reason why the transporter is the one bit of Trek-tech that needs to be invented the least. (There's also the thing about how a transporter wouldn't really transport you; it would use the atoms at your destination to make an identical copy of you, while simultaneously destroying the original you. So if you got into this thing, you'd be committing suicide, but nobody would ever know it.)
Not to mention the host of other problems. If something went wrong with the transporter, and just one gram of matter wasn't converted back from energy...one gram of matter has about the same amount of energy as a 22 kiloton nuclear device.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
erttheking said:
Sunrider84 said:
Any scene with Ursula in The Little Mermaid, and pretty much anything involving Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty. Fuck my life, those two haunted my dreams for many, many years.

...yes, I'm a massive sissy.
I wasn't bothered by Ursula at all. Maleficent I was ok with for most of the time. However. In the scene where the princess (I honest to Christ can't remember her name. Rose?) was being enchanted to prick her finger, I got treated to THIS.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/forum/36000/36385_1275346073729_full.jpg

That gave me the first nightmare I can remember. Also I didn't finish the movie for awhile.

Kingdom Hearts made her top dog when it came to Disney villains? I UNDERSTAND WHY! Well that and she got off her rear, turned into a fucking dragon and fought the hero herself. That's a plus for a good villain too.
Same scene for me. Made me afraid of the dark for a good while.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
My dad was a big fan of the Dark Crystal - I certainly had beef with it. The main character was frightening, forgetting about all the BAD guys in that movie, the setting was grim and I nope'd on off to Screwthatmovie Town for SEVERAL years. I finally got up the courage to face those demons when I saw it on Netflix about a year ago - THEY HAD A SOUL SUCKING MACHINE. I frowned considerably, realizing just why I was afraid, but it wasn't QUITE as bad as I remembered.

Also Judge Doom had ME hiding behind a couch for the better half of my childhood. That stuff wasn't okay with me.

Honourable mentions include that clown from the Brave Little Toaster and the X-Files theme

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
For me it's The Two Towers, when the ghost in the black swamp appears. I covered my eyes when it appeared. Also in The Fellowship of Ring, when Bilbo freaks out when he sees the ring again in Rivendell. Fucking hell.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Novaova said:
A woman gets forcibly transformed into a killer cyborg in Superman III:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

This messed up a lot of children, traumatizing some, giving weird fetishes to others.
Weird fetishes? I thought I had heard of some of the weirder kinks out there, but this really blows it all out of the water.