Scenes as a child that you found horrifying in non-horror movies.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
DatedSandwich said:
The scene in Oliver Twist...

where Nancy gets beaten to death. It really shook me as a child.
I think you're talking about the very same movie I remembering being traumatized by.
She was shaking, wasn't she? The only thing visible was her leg, and it was twitching. Is that correct?

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011

Scared the hell out of me as a kid. Wasn't helped when dad used to tease me about it by doing that claw hand over my chest and say some of the dialog.

Actually, come to think of it, all three Indiana Jones movies have scenes that I'm sure have scared me for life, lol. The Ark scene from Raiders, drinking from the (false) Holy Grail in Crusade and the above one.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
ET. No, seriously. I didn't ACTUALLY sit down infront of the TV and see any of it until I was 16, and even then I wasn't all that comfortable.

Yet this comes from someone who as a small child happily watched the likes of Alien, Aliens, Predator, Robocop, Rambo, Total Recall and other violent stuff.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Easy one. The Alice Through the Looking Glass made for TV movie.
First comes the loneliness - big house, absolutely abandoned, yet everything's still in its place as if the owners simply ceased to exist, then the realization that she's actually through the mirror. She can see her family but they can't see her. Finally, the Jabberwocky attack! This was the trifecta of horror when I was little. I couldn't look at myself in a mirror for a week! Sure looking at it now it's a guy in a suit, but then so was Alien.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I remember being scared by Regan and Judge Doom, yeah - but nothing scared me more, as a kid, than Leon's death in Robocop.

He's tricked by Murphy into driving into the most structurally unsafe vat of acid, puncturing and causing his car to be flooded in the stuff. What emerges from the torrent of hissing, yellowish, noxious stuff is deformed, fiaccid, gargling and obviously wracked with agonizing pain. Paul Verhoeven's camera lingers for an EXTREMELY long time on him, the music and actor suddenly dropping out of their prior "Nyeheh, I'm a mousey little spastic sociopath!" mood to full-on pathos. The score practically screams "STARE AT THIS WRETCHED BEING, CHILDREN! EMPATHIZE WITH THIS HUSK OF A MAN!" as he starts lurching forward.

Finding one of his fellow goons, he clings to him and gargles a plea for help, which goes ignored. A few moments later, Clarence Boddicker's car runs him over. Instead of merely disappearing under the car's wheels or being flung over it, Leon explodes like a water balloon filled with liquefied former viscera.

Consider that they sold RoboCop action figures, back then. Toys my childhood friends played with in impunity.

It's the vilest thing ever, and not even the most unhinged splatter flick out there manages to gross me out as this action movie did with that one scene. I kept having nightmares about Leon's mangled, half-melted form lurching into my bedroom, gargling for help...

Edit: I said I couldn't find it, but leave it to a Spanish uploader to find that very segment, or at least its most important part...

<youtube=gZabXFTOOrM>

I just - argh. I think I'll go take thirty-six consecutive showers in a tub of hand sanitizer, now.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark

That bit where the Angels faces change..shudder
This. All of this. Especially the part where the guy's face melted. I despised my parents for days for letting me see that. Didn't sleep much either.

Worgen said:
Watership down, damn that movie is fucked up. I know there were other things too, but right now thats the only one that comes to mind.
I'm glad I read the book instead of watching the movie. That shit was badass. Not nearly as disturbing as the movie was. Less "oh god these bunnies are dying horribly" and more high-octane full scale bunicular warfare.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sunrider84 said:
Any scene with Ursula in The Little Mermaid, and pretty much anything involving Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty. Fuck my life, those two haunted my dreams for many, many years.

...yes, I'm a massive sissy.
I wasn't bothered by Ursula at all. Maleficent I was ok with for most of the time. However. In the scene where the princess (I honest to Christ can't remember her name. Rose?) was being enchanted to prick her finger, I got treated to THIS.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/forum/36000/36385_1275346073729_full.jpg

That gave me the first nightmare I can remember. Also I didn't finish the movie for awhile.

Kingdom Hearts made her top dog when it came to Disney villains? I UNDERSTAND WHY! Well that and she got off her rear, turned into a fucking dragon and fought the hero herself. That's a plus for a good villain too.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
To this day, this scene still disturbs me deeply.

I can't believe that was a kid's movie. Freakin clowns man.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
I think I'm somewhat younger than most of you, so my childhood frame of reference is shifted slightly forward. I was about 11 when I saw the Peter Jackson remake of King Kong.

Watching it now, the age of the CGI has taken the edge off it. Even so, I literally could not sleep for about three nights after the worms. I think the music had a part in enhancing the sheer freakiness of it; had it been a higher paced, energetic track it might have offset the horror of the situation, but the lack of almost any sound really shifts the focus.

I still don't know how it got a 12 rating in the UK.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:
1.57 ruined my childhood, lol.
DementedSheep said:
These things for labyrinth also scared me.
Have to second these two nightmare fuel the both of them, the Skeksis still give me the creeps, strange how those remembered childhood feelings did not prevent them becoming my favorite movies... I can't wait to scare the Hell outta my own son. XD I also have The Wild Gang's song on my phone... lol

Add to this list Meg Mucklebones, from Legend, I think I would have died of fright just at her appearance.

Still can't believe that's Robert Picardo (Star Trek: Voyager's hologram Doctor).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000585/?ref_=tt_cl_t11

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Moloch Sacrifice said:
I say the Peter Jackson remake of King Kong.
I must have repressed the memory of that scene. The giant leeches devouring the dude alive. . . D=

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
all the ring wraith and ghost scenes from the lord of the rings trilogy, especially when the wraiths were on those big flying monsters, the screech of those things used to send me running from the room in terror.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Cpu46 said:
Anyone ever see the animated movie "We're back: a dinosaur's story"

If you did then you know exactly who and what scenes I refer too when I say that my sheets were in the wash pretty much every night for a solid week.

For those of you who missed out on this movie, I really can't describe it in words and convey why is scared me. Everything that scared me is rather unimpressive now but good lord was I scared shitless, it was a good movie though so me and my sister watched it a lot.
Of notable mention for me is this scene at the very end.

Jeez though, it's actually rather comforting to see so many people bringing up things that I too had problems with as a kid.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, couple of things not mentioned.

So...who here remembers the first Star Trek movie? You know, BEFORE Khan. Okay, so I saw that as a child was legitimately interested because I like Star Trek, and then...there was the transporter accident. Yyyup. Freakish loud alarm, a console or something blowing, and people appearing as disfigured mockeries of human life (SCREAMING IN PAIN) before fading out and getting the report that 'what they got back didn't live long...fortunately'. From then on, a red alert in that movie freaked me the hell out! And why not? The Enterprise almost warped into an asteroid, the giant cloud was vaqporizing everything in its path, and the world was going to be destroyed! That's a damn good reason to be freaked out and utterly disquieted there.

For a far simpler reason, there was a scene from Airplane II where...

...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

(The Blob)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Okay, couple of things not mentioned.

So...who here remembers the first Star Trek movie? You know, BEFORE Khan. Okay, so I saw that as a child was legitimately interested because I like Star Trek, and then...there was the transporter accident. Yyyup. Freakish loud alarm, a console or something blowing, and people appearing as disfigured mockeries of human life (SCREAMING IN PAIN) before fading out and getting the report that 'what they got back didn't live long...fortunately'.
Oh yeah...that. For me it was all the mucking about trying to fix the problem, things are obviously bad, but people aren't panicking just yet...then "They're forming".

(Fortunately, you'd be killed instantly if that happened, if the human body isn't put back together more or less perfectly, the whole thing fails)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure... the Large Marge scene... omg that shit was scary as fuck as a kid. Also the scene in E.T. where the dudes in spacesuits invade the house. That shit scared the fuck out of me as a kid, and I also had a read-along record (feeling my age again) that whenever it got to that part would make me freak out and stay away from windows that had blinds on them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
EVERY scene in "The Dark Crystal" featuring the Skeksis. Hell most scenes in that film are pretty unsettling. Put the way they use 'the dark crystal' will make you NOPE out of here
Eh, what about if you're a mystic? When a certain Skexis dies, you just vanish.

You get no warning whatsoever, just gone. And lots of people want to kill the Skexis cause they are horrible.

Gah.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
A lot of the scenes mentioned already are all good examples but the one that had me freaking out for literally more than 30 mins. after I saw it was something in a movie called Runaway.

At first glance, it looks like any other sci-fi flick but then these cylindrical robotic spiders began to appear in the movie and jump on people's necks, injecting them with poison. Normally even that wouldn't have been so bad, but these spiders also vibrated up and down while they're active. All of that together was INCREDIBLY disturbing for me. Man, I adamantly refused to even walk on the floor for a little bit.

I have never been so scared since.