Scenes as a child that you found horrifying in non-horror movies.

Reginald the Butler

Mar 29, 2012
Silk_Sk said:
To this day, this scene still disturbs me deeply.

I can't believe that was a kid's movie. Freakin clowns man.
Dang I never thought about it as a kid, but are those two last parts (forks going into a toaster and dropping a toaster into a bath) suicide references? Kinda dark for a children's movie.

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
Fizzgig. That is all.

Edit: Since I don't want to get slapped with a warning, let's give this post a bit more weight. I loved the Dark Crystal growing up, but the first time I watched it I was completely caught off guard when that adorable puffball suddenly turned itself into a massive toothy maw. Scared the crap out of me just about every time. <_<

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, the episode of Trapdoor with The Splund. Supposed to be somewhat scary, but...gah!

Also...much of Dot and the Kangaroo, TBH. A little girl gets lost in the Australian outback...yeah.

I'm just going to stick this bit here:

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
The scene from Labyrinth where Sarah falls down the hole and all the hands grab her. I swear, I remember SO VIVIDLY exactly what happened the first time I saw that movie. I was with my best friend and we were at her cousin's house for a party. We had played in their above ground pool, diving underneath for those little plastic wands that sink and you swim under to grab them. After we played, we went inside to watch something and I remembered nothing about it except a girl falling down a well and a bunch of green hands grabbing her. I had nightmares about it for years, I kid you not. Years. And then when I was maybe 14 or so, I saw Labyrinth again and I finally understood all my nightmares.

I love Labyrinth now, but I dreamed of those "helping hands" for my entire childhood. That movie is a trip. I know there's other horrifying things from my childhood that I can't think of right off.

By the way, I always loved The Neverending Story, even Gmork! So much so that I have the AURYN tattooed on my back. I always loved how much Gmork and the Nothing scared me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
For some strange reason that episode of the Simspons when Salma wanted a husband/ baby, that scene with Moeman going to kiss Salma scared the bejesus out of me to the point that I never that episode until years later.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Also, the Gmork from The Neverending Story

This guy mentally scarred me as a child.
Yes, this. This arse hole. Watching it back it's really not scary whatsoever, he's a bit menacing but that's it. But tiny child me? This prick scared the everloving fuck out of me.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
can't think of specific scene , but the whole Return to Oz film was really fucked up for a kids movie ... i never got scared as a child from horror or movies, though this film was pretty dark and strange when i saw it in elementary school. now a days looking back at it, i think it was really good, since i like dark, gothic reinterpretations of stories, like the Alice:Madness Returns game.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Terminator 2 almost traumatized me. A machine that can make itself look like anyone and can kill you just by turning its finger into a spike and thrusting it through your skull. I was untrusting of my family members for days because of that movie.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Upon reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I haven't seen the majority of what you lot reference. I figure either it's because they were before my time or most likely knowing I share the same age range with most of you guys, just straight lack of interest.

What stuff I do remember watching... I don't think affected me much when I was a child.

Brave Little Toaster... *shrugs* Roger Rabbit: I remember the shoe scene and mostly thinking the whole time: "Why isn't anyone doing anything? Is it dead? Aww... it's dead." Mostly sad as opposed to scared.

In fact, I'm not sure I can think of anything that scared me as a kid that wasn't meant to be scary in general.

aggers

Aug 24, 2010
bone chilling horror in an upbeat childrens film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnhfvGdmmw

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I watched the Secret of Nimh when I was like 4 or 5 and the scene where they escape from the lab, the scene where they are trying to save Mrs. Brisbys house in the rain and mud and they killed Nicodemus as well as the owl scenes scared me quite a bit. The Ear worm scene in Wrath of Kahn got me for a looong time, and the scene in Jurassic Park where Samuel L. Jackson goes into the bunker to turn the power back on and they only find his arm was pretty scary to a 6 year old. Now my son who is 7 watches it and is like meh not that big of a deal. He is terrified of Gollum from LOTR though, even when he is acting semi-normal.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
The Air Conditioner from The Brave Little Toaster.
Also, the junkyard/car compactor scene, though I couldn't find a video for that.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
MetalDooley said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark

That bit where the Angels faces change..shudder
Agreed. I don't care if the effects are old-fashioned, that is still fucking terrifying, even to an adult!

Also, Judge Doom from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Fun fact: apparently, Tim Curry auditioned for the role, but was so frightening he was turned down. Just... think about for a moment. If you though Christopher Lloyd's performance was terrifying, just think of what we could have had...

Ironshroom

Apr 3, 2012
The ending of Rodger Rabbit. Seriously, eff that movie. That shit gave me nightmares for weeks on end.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
EeveeElectro said:

That whole scene, and when he goes underwater to an extent. Freaked me the fuck out, I used to scream for mum to fast forward through it.
Yep, this and fucking Monstro. And then you got the one donkey boy who can still talk and he's crying for his mom. Pinocchio was fucking hardcore.
Wow! Here I thought I was the weird one. This scene scared the f*ck out of me as a wee lad!

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
MetalDooley said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark

That bit where the Angels faces change..shudder
Agreed. I don't care if the effects are old-fashioned, that is still fucking terrifying, even to an adult!

Also, Judge Doom from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Fun fact: apparently, Tim Curry auditioned for the role, but was so frightening he was turned down. Just... think about for a moment. If you though Christopher Lloyd's performance was terrifying, just think of what we could have had...
*blinks* Omigod... *ponders* Do you know how awesome that would have been? Wait, of course you do. But... WOW.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
bartholen said:
EeveeElectro said:

That forest scene too, always terrified me :(
Fuck y'all ninjas! That part was the creepiest shit ever! My mom still likes to remind me of it.

The part in Spirited Away where night falls and the spirit world awakens didn't exactly freak the fuck out of me as a kid since I only saw it like once and the movie is so weird overall I might have been just scratching my head for most of the time. But I still remember it being very unsettling since I'd only seen mostly Disney movies and I had no idea where it was going to go. The spirits with the little masks for faces were very unnerving when the boat arrived ashore and they started coming out of the cabins. Only seeing the masks floating in mid-air but having whole shadows cast on the wall sure as hell creeped me out.

I also happened by coincidence to see part of the South Park movie when I was like 8 years old. It was the part where Kenny's ghost appears before Cartman at the execution event, and it just scared the piss out of me. Suddenly having a kid's ghost jump screaming out of nowhere scares any kid.

trty00 said:
Also, remember 'Prince of Egypt?' Because that was probably the most 'inappropriate for kids' kids movie that has ever been created. Remember the plagues that God sends upon the 'heathen' Egyptians?
Jesus Christ... literally.
Holy Jesus, how could I forget about that? To me the scariest part was the part where Moses is tripping out in the chambers and seeing the murals on the walls. Throwing babies into alligator's mouths and turning rivers into blood? SURE, put it in a kids' film!
Ugh damn it, I wasn't going to post in this thread, but you had to trip my stickler button. Those are Nile Crocodiles. Alligators are only native to North America and China.