Scenes better than the movie they were in

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey -the riddle scene. Perfectly captures one of the most memorable parts of the book.

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
Skyline was a utterly shitty movie that was suppose to get a sequel to finish the story. The scene for me was actually a slide show during the credits which depicted more action and depth then the entirety of the movie.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The 2004 Troy isn't a bad movie per se, and the extended edition is definitely better. But hands down, the best scene in the film is this:
Seven minutes of runtime given to probably the most integral scene of the Iliad, Priam asking for Hector's body back. Brad Pitt is a mixed bag throughout the film, but goddamn Peter O'Toole fucking nails it as Priam.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
That recent movie: The Fifth wave. Expected a disaster-pocalypse movie, got Twilight Hunger Games with aliens (who all look like humans for some reason...) and hunky alien hunks and very bad acting. Very, very bad acting

That said, the scene with the second wave which was a literal Tsunami wave. Showed people trying to escape in a skyscraper as a massive wall of water approaches and most don't make it up the stairwell in time.That was a really cool, tense scene that was immense in scale and destruction. The movie could have been interesting if it showed a bit more of dealing with the fallout of that instead of the boring drama between some adults pretending to be teens but whateves.

Also, the opening scene where the main hero meets a seemingly injured man. She has a gun to his head and is not sure she can trust him or not. So he reaches into his pocket and the second that something shines, he puts a bullet in his head. But then it turns out he was pulling out a metal rosary in bloody hands. That was a good establishing scene that this world is one where you have no idea who to trust and you have to get used to getting your hands dirty because being too trusting might get you mugged or worse.

Then that idea of "Should you trust" goes out the window when hunky human alien shows up.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
The Klendathu Drop Massacre from Starship Troopers. Nothing screams popcorn munching happiness than young 20-somethings running headlong into the jaws of monstrous insect aliens and getting their legs chopped off before being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the darkness, begging for help, to be slowly devoured while their compadres fight on in blissful disregard.

The rest of the movie was an absolute shamble that made the critical and oddly common 90s mistake that Denise Richards should be wearing clothes and is here to act.
It was an odd time.
Damn tell us how you really feel! I like Starship Troopers. Not because I think it's a genuinly great film, but I enjoy the action and camp (plus the infamous shower scene). Michael Ironside is awesome as usual too.

OT: The first scene of Batman v Superman is the only good one in it and the only time Batman acts like Batman. I got chills watching Affleck run into the falling debris and rubble to try and rescue anyone he could while maneuvering around the crowd that was running in the opposite direction. For one brief moment I had hope... and then it was gone.

Smygskytt

May 18, 2015
This is where I have to bring up Pirates of the Caribbean. The movies may have become more and more bloated, but they still managed to create some good scenes. I personally am captivated by the character of Davy Jones, and how being abandoned by his love made him what he is. Just look at this scene:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Silentpony said:
The Klendathu Drop Massacre from Starship Troopers. Nothing screams popcorn munching happiness than young 20-somethings running headlong into the jaws of monstrous insect aliens and getting their legs chopped off before being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the darkness, begging for help, to be slowly devoured while their compadres fight on in blissful disregard.

The rest of the movie was an absolute shamble that made the critical and oddly common 90s mistake that Denise Richards should be wearing clothes and is here to act.
It was an odd time.
Actually, I remember seeing that in the theater, and thought the opening sequence, that news footage bit, was a pretty good introduction into the movie. Seeing our hero totally ripped apart, wondering if he was going to be dead by the time the flashback story caught up. But I totally agree, that drop sequence was pretty badass. The music, the massive forces swooping down on the planet. Good stuff, got a genuine thrill from that bit.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The intro fight for Electro in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was a genuinely fun highlight in an otherwise slapdash and stitched together train wreck of a film.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
The opening of saving private ryan - the rest of the film (after Omaha beach) is mediocre at best.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
The 2004 Troy isn't a bad movie per se, and the extended edition is definitely better.
I have the extended edition, and I'd say it is, overall, a bad or unsuccessful film - it just has a handful of great scenes in it. It seesaws back and forth between quality and hamfisted fluff (as writing, acting, score, the lot), which makes it an incredibly uneven watch. For me, Bloom and Kruger practically suck the life [and quality] out of the film whenever they're on screen, and even some of Bana's moments are either cringeworthy or just drag the pacing to a crawl (then again he shares a lot of scenes with Bloom, so it's not his fault, per se).

But hands down, the best scene in the film is this: / Seven minutes of runtime given to probably the most integral scene of the Iliad, Priam asking for Hector's body back. Brad Pitt is a mixed bag throughout the film, but goddamn Peter O'Toole fucking nails it as Priam.
It's a fine scene, and certainly one of those standouts. But I felt Pitt was perfect for the role, and turned in a great performance; vain, egoistic, bitter, yet in a way, naive, and trapped in a culture and a role he both loathes and cannot help but live. He's by far my favourite aspect of the film, and I'd have loved a story focused exclusively from his perspective.

Personally, my favourite scenes are probably the few between Achilles and Briseis, particularly some of the lines/moments in this:

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
The bathtub scene with Amy Smart in 2008's Mirrors. As far as horror movies go, I thought this one was a good one. The abandoned store was creepy and reminded me a lot of Rapture, from Bioshock.

Anyway, the scene is "good" because most of the time, my biggest reaction to a horror movie is a "meh" or a "alright, here comes the jump scare", but this one just caught me off guard.

It's easily one of the goriest death scenes I've ever seen, in a movie that was pretty much Paranormal Activity in a burnt down department store. And it happens to a character that had nothing to do with anything. I really just thought holy shit, what the fuck, she didn't deserve to die like that... A really fucked up way to die.

Jan 27, 2011
Well, here's one from me.

There's this old movie I saw when I was younger called "record city". Dear GOD the movie was awful. There was no plot, only 5-6 smaller plots that all mishmashed together. And the majority of the characters were unlikeable as hell. Ugh.

And it peaks in the very first scene. The asshole manager comes around as the shop is opening for the day hitting on this one "nice girl" going on about "We could have wine, some italian food-", and the other cash register girl (the only really fun character in the movie) rolls her eyes and goes "Then she'd look at your face and throw UP!". Asshole manager, obviously offended, turns around and goes "Hey! Get back to your register!" And she grins, flips him off and goes "register this! :D". This is literally the best scene in the movie, and it's in the first 2 minutes.

It DOES come close again later with another scene were this disguised criminal (who has been lurking around the store all day in various super-conspicuous disguises) shows up to rob the place in a highly suspicious looking trench coat with a shotgun, and at the same time, one of the other sub plots about two dumbass employees who want to rob the store comes to a head and one of the dumbasses decides "Forget the smart plans that don't work, I'll put on this mask, pull out this gun, threaten the cashier and then run like hell with the money". And he comes running in with his puny looking handgun going "FREEZE AND DONT NOBODY M-" *turns slowly to notice the guy with the shotgun, who also slowly turns to point the gun at him* "m-ooooooooohhhh SHIIIT". It's not a great scene, but the guy's delivery of his shock just makes it hilarious.

BuildsLegos said:
All the action and suspense in Deep Blue Sea was fantastic, a shame it was tied together by such a shitty script.
Ohhh, I remember that movie. XD Yeah, the scene with the chef blowing up the kitchen to kill a shark was a fantastic scene in a mediocre movie.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Saltyk said:
Damn it, OP. You stole my example. Honestly, that scene in the bar with Clark just taking the guy's abuse was one of the best scenes in any Superman movie. It's just ruined because it goes on like 5 seconds too long and has Clark crucify the truck because the guy was mean to him, ruining the whole scene.

Fine, in the spirit of DC movies, in BvS we get a great moment of Batman taking down an entire building of goons. It it great, probably one of the best Batman action scenes in film. Brutal, well filmed, and makes you feel like this is Batman. It's just too bad the rest of the film is terrible. Also, it is also kind of ruined by the fact that Batman is killing people in it, too. Just try to ignore that fact, I guess.

Damn it, DC! Why can't you let me like your movies?
See, I hated that scene. For me it was the usual super armored movie bat beating up thugs type scene. The one I really liked was the first one with bats and the cop. They actually made bats stealthy and move in a way that people would actually think he's not just a human with some armor. For me, that was the best scene in the whole film. I will say, in the scene you mention, his use of his grapple at the beginning was pretty great though. I wish they had done more with his gadgets and more with him being stealthy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The movie I Robot was a enjoyable but rather mindless action flick, but there's one really good line when Will Smith is questioning the sentience of Sonny.

Spooner: "Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?"

Sunny: "Can you?"

Sep 14, 2009
erttheking said:
The movie I Robot was a enjoyable but rather mindless action flick, but there's one really good line when Will Smith is questioning the sentience of Sonny.

Spooner: "Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?"

Sunny: "Can you?"
ohh that is a good one! personally I enjoy the movie, but I can see why most people would think it's very meh.

OT:

I'm sure I have plenty of other scenes, but this one popped into my head so I'll use it.

Movie: The hitcher, an otherwise "wtf, this is garbage" terrible thriller/slasher movie that sean bean is in.

scene: Sean bean is terrorizing this young couple, and as they are running away from the cops, sean bean proceeds to laughably destroy the cops and leave the kids shitting their pants in terror

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Wow, nobody's mentioned the freeway fight scene in The Matrix: Reloaded yet? That's my favourite example of a diamond scene in a rough movie.

Some people may argue even that scene isn't great but the choreography, music, and stunning use of SFX (consider the time period) were the essence of what made the first movie great and it really shone through there in Reloaded. Plus it was a neat combination of the 'fighting on top of a train because we can' and 'standard car-chase' tropes from action movies of the past (that The Matrix probably should have borrowed more heavily from for its own sake).

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
The "Show me" scene from RoboCop (2014). That thing's just brutal to watch...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm probably going to get some hate for this, but...

Every Tarantino movie suffers from this. Every single one. Each has one or more scenes that are genuinely fantastic. Brilliantly scripted, deftly acted, and beautifully shot. But overall, the vast majority of his films are varying degrees of 'okay' to dreadful.

I honestly feel that much of the praise for his films are hinged on the quality of those individual scenes. Taken as a whole, the films aren't that special.