School shooting at Texas Elementary school, several children reported dead

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
And when a job interview involves the question "would you be willing to carry a firearm to protect the students"? Or when you end up ostracized as the only teacher not willing to carry at a school? Or when the unfortunate event actually happens and you are one of the few not carrying?

Allowing teachers to carry is a way to shame or create doubt around the ones not willing to do so, much in the same way as teachers are widely expected to pay out of pocket for a range of school supplies. It will end up becoming common practice, despite the claims that it is voluntary.
No, it's not, literally no one is expecting teachers to carry guns unless they want to.

Reactions: gorfias

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Just like no one is expecting anyone to work unpaid overtime or any other numerous bullshit practices unwritten in employment terms.

But as usual you're sticking your head in the ground and yelling "That's not SPECIFICALLY being said!"
And which workers are being shamed in your example...?

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
And which workers are being shamed in your example...?
The ones who aren't being "team players" or those who are "unwilling to go the extra mile"? I am 100% certain that if carrying firearms is permitted for teacher one of the first articles following the next school shooting will be something along the lines of "These teachers refused to carry firearms and X students died", as opposed to blaming lack of gun control or the fact that mental health is neglected.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The ones who aren't being "team players" or those who are "unwilling to go the extra mile"? I am 100% certain that if carrying firearms is permitted for teacher one of the first articles following the next school shooting will be something along the lines of "These teachers refused to carry firearms and X students died", as opposed to blaming lack of gun control or the fact that mental health is neglected.
I can also see it as a way for pushing for Charter Schools

'Miss X won't have a gun in the classroom. We have to go for another school to protect our children.'

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Outside of managers, nobody is shaming people for not working more. It's not like normal worker Bob is gonna shame normal worker Debbie for not wanting to work overtime because nobody fucking wants to work overtime. And then you have to realize you're at a bad workplace if the manager is shaming you for that stuff and you need then find a better workplace anyway. My last job I got fired for not coming in on an overtime Saturday when I was sick and I didn't even try keeping that job in the "meeting" that day because I knew keeping the job was the overall worse option. It's like you guys don't even work with people and know how people are. Funny thing is that Monday I came in and got fired, one guy on the way into work told me that missing Saturday was the right call because it was a shitshow.

Phoenix is very bad at predicting inevitabilities.
Yet you keep voting for the same people and acting like things are gonna change...

I can also see it as a way for pushing for Charter Schools

'Miss X won't have a gun in the classroom. We have to go for another school to protect our children.'
Sure, you might have like 0.1% of people thinking that, you have like 0.1% people always thinking some dumb shit. Very very very very very few people are going to send their kid to a charter school because of fear of a school shooting. If they were that fearful of something bad happening to their kid, they wouldn't send them to any school to begin with because traveling to school is far more dangerous than the extremely low chance/risk of a school shooting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Outside of managers, nobody is shaming people for not working more. It's not like normal worker Bob is gonna shame normal worker Debbie for not wanting to work overtime because nobody fucking wants to work overtime.
Teachers are blamed for a wide variety of issues, most of which they are not, cannot, and should not be responsible for. Parents stalk teachers, threaten them, pressure them, complains to school boards, cover for their kids, and makes up outright false stories.

Heck, how many teachers are being called groomers for wanting to provide good sex-ed? How many teachers were under fire during the entire CRT debacle? How many teachers are expected to pay out of pocket for school supplies?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
In contrast, the memo highlighted the early arrival of officers who "were on scene taking fire" and said "there was zero hesitation on any of these officers' part, they moved directly towards the gunfire."
Yeah, uh, no. The video shows us otherwise. This is not the novel 1984, where we're expected to ignore what we see and hear in deference to authority.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, uh, no. The video shows us otherwise. This is not the novel 1984, where we're expected to ignore what we see and hear in deference to authority.
This is not 1984 where almost everyone does, you mean. A enormous slab of deplorables still do.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
There was this story recently of a pizza delivery guy coming home from work at night and seeing a house aflame, he went in and saved 5 kids who were sleeping in there unaware. No training, no fireproof gear, and he had to go in twice to get the last kid out who was too small to find the first time over in all the smoke.

If they replaced all these cops with Domino's employees they'd prolly have saved all those kids.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm sorry mam, but your son was and is a scumbag. I don't hate you, but I sure as hell can't forgive someone like that. He is a coward of the highest caliber. With the police being even bigger cowards.

This is nothing new, as this was already discussed, and proved, early on immediately after the shooting happened. There were so many warning signs, yet nobody did nothing but sit on their asses until crap started happening!

Even the Uvalde police don't give a rat's ass about their own.

Last edited: