Schoolchildren Flee Mordor Eruption

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Schoolchildren Flee Mordor Eruption

A volcano used in the filming of The Lord of the Rings has erupted, spewing hot ash high into the atmosphere.

Mount Tongariro has erupted in New Zealand, startling hikers and scientists alike. The volcano, and much of Tongariro national park, is famous for portraying the blasted landscape of Mordor in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. The scientists were caught by surprise because they were watching another nearby volcano for activity. The hikers were surprised because, according to local Clint Green, "all of a sudden a towering black plume just began erupting very quickly, skyrocketing up, at first I didn't believe what I was seeing." Among the surprised hikers were 90 schoolchildren, whose teachers caught the eruption on video [http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7981240/Video-Trampers-flee-as-Mt-Tongariro-erupts]. A spokesperson for GNS Science, the official monitoring organization, said "it was completely unexpected, there were no warning signs beforehand. We were watching Ruapehu waiting for an eruption and instead this came out of nowhere."

Ruapehu, which was expected to erupt some time soon, is nearby - and is perhaps Mordor's more famous volcano. Ruapehu is Amon Amarth, Orodruin, also known as Mount Doom. At least, it stood in for Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings. Ruapehu has recently had a buildup of pressure in a subterranean vent. Tongariro erupted earlier this year, briefly, for the first time in a hundred years, but wasn't due to erupt again this year. GNS said it was impossible to know whether or not the buildup in Ruapehu and the eruption of Tongariro were linked. The ash cloud reportedly climbed about 4,000m into the air. Locals were told to expect light ashfall over the next few days, which should complete the illusion that they live in a grim, despairing land ruled by a dark lord.

Source: Discovery news [http://news.discovery.com/earth/new-zealand-volcano-tongariro-erupts-121121.html]

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
It would be kind of interesting to see a volcano erupt, but I hope all of those guys are safe and all with no casualties.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So Peter Jackson was totally right to sacrifice those animals thus delaying the eruption until the end of filming after all!

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
*groan*

Okay, who dropped their ring of abominable evil and power into the lava this time?

Stomperchomper

Mar 13, 2012
Aren't you not allowed to film or take pictures of that mountain, because it's a Maori sacred site or something? Or is that a different one?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Ash nazg 'drbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
AHAHAHHA! Really? This didn't take up 10 minutes on our news and its on The Escapist, you guys must love us up there :D

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I'm just imaging this volcano as an old man shaking his cane and saying "Get off my lawn!"

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
Stomperchomper said:
Aren't you not allowed to film or take pictures of that mountain, because it's a Maori sacred site or something? Or is that a different one?
Yeah, that's a different one, the one you are thinking of is more North, between Auckland and Hamilton and its not much of a mountain, more like a hill -_-"

Stomperchomper

Mar 13, 2012
Shaidz said:
Stomperchomper said:
Yeah, that's a different one, the one you are thinking of is more North, between Auckland and Hamilton and its not much of a mountain, more like a hill -_-"
Ah, thanks, for both the correction and saving me the disappointment of going to NZ and expecting an epic mountain there XD

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
Stomperchomper said:
Shaidz said:
Stomperchomper said:
Ah, thanks, for both the correction and saving me the disappointment of going to NZ and expecting an epic mountain there XD
Mount Tongariro and that area is epic and Mt Ruapehu had some amazing Skiing, its just the Maori burial hill that's disappointing, i dont see why they get so worked up about it -_-"