Schrodinger's E3

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Schrodinger's E3

Tomorrow, E3 will be fact and experience but for now, it?s all a wonderful mishmash of maybe.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Wow, fun little article, Susan. I wrote on Facebook this morniing "E3! Let the disappointment commence!" not because I have a cynical outlook on the video games industry, but because my expectations for E3 are almost always way too high.

I hope, though, that the show doesn't disappoint anyone, and I hope you have tons of fun there! I look forward to some good ol' live blogging :)

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I remember as a kid in high school me and some buddies trying to scheme a way into E3 when it was in Atlanta. Nothing came of it but it was one of the reasons I blew a grand to go all the way to LA for E for All and be disappointed. I talked to some of the people who worked at the Convention Hall during the heyday of E3 and it was what I imagine it would be like to ask someone what Woodstock was like except less mud, sex and drugs. It was a bit surreal to walk where all the the E3 specials I watched on G4 and the opening of Face/off, the finally of Rush Hour and who knows how many television shows and films were shot.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I figure it was inevitable that E3 downsized after they started discouraging (or was it outright banning?) boothbabes...
But do take notes Susan! I for one will be awaiting your word on what comes out of the Diet Low-Cal E3 can.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
CrafterMan said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I've always wanted to jam E3 in a box and kill it while simultaneously not killing it.
Bahahaha, I stand confused sir.

-Joe
Have you ever heard of Schrodinger's cat?

If not then allow me to elaborate.

He put a cat in a box with a vial of poison that would break open at an unknown time, thus the cat could be thought of as either dead or alive. Only by opening the box can you know for sure.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Brotherofwill said:
More E3 hype or are you just gleefully waiting like a kid before Christmas?
The latter, definitely. I've been through loads of these, I've seen just about every hype method and technique you can think of. Fire dancers. Zombies. Helicopters. Half-pipes. But those aren't what my favorite E3 memories are. Moments like finding Phoenix Wright - which went largely ignored on the show floor the year it was debuted - are what make me so excited to be here.

Also, I love that I write for a community that gets references to quantum physics.

Charlie_Brown

Jan 16, 2009
Xvito said:
He put a cat in a box with a vial of poison that would break open at an unknown time, thus the cat could be thought of as either dead or alive. Only by opening the box can you know for sure.
Err... he didn't actually do it, it was only a thought experiment :p

On topic, I'm really looking forward to E3 this year, it seems to have so much more momentum compared to the last few years.
My favourite surprise was that Spore demo when he pulled out to reveal the whole galaxy.
The real surprise was forking out money on release day for Spore, only to find out it was a piece of ****.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Onmi said:
Your at E3 and i'm stuck doing a pile of assignments from a teacher who might as well have alzhimers while i'm on holidays.

Fan-fucking-tastic.
Hey, I'm right in the middle of exams, so I'm worse off than you. Let's mope together...

Anyway, hope you guys all have fun there, looking forward to hearing about everything that goes on at E3 this year :D

[/subliminal_bitterness_and_jealousy]

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Charlie_Brown said:
Xvito said:

On topic, I'm really looking forward to E3 this year, it seems to have so much more momentum compared to the last few years.
My favourite surprise was that Spore demo when he pulled out to reveal the whole galaxy.
The real surprise was forking out money on release day for Spore, only to find out it was a piece of ****.
Are you sure that it was a thought experiment? Maybe Schrodinger put YOUR cat in a box with a vial of poison and you went to save him, but it was too late. Your cat was dead, then Schrodinger taunted you by telling you that your opening the box is what killed the cat, that it could have still been alive if you just left the box remain closed. You were so traumatized that you blocked the events from your memory and replaced them with the thought experiment scenario. Are you SURE that isn't what really happened?

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
Charlie_Brown said:
Xvito said:

Also if I remember correctly he used the thought experiment to show the problems Schrodinger saw with the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics.

May 17, 2007
This is beyond Schrodinger's cat. This is both the best and simultaneously the worst part of E3. The anticipation now might actually be more pleasurable than the hypothetical disappointment in a week's time - but we can't tell until afterwards. It's like we are in the box, and we don't know just yet if we're alive or dead.

Cpt. Red said:
Also if I remember correctly he used the thought experiment to show the problems Schrodinger saw with the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics.
Cruelty to animals?

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Charlie_Brown said:
Xvito said:
Well... It's the thought that counts.