Schwarzenegger Signs On for The Legend of Conan

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Schwarzenegger Signs On for The Legend of Conan

Arnold will go back to doing what is best in life for the summer of 2014.

While he is best recognized from the original Terminator movies, Arnold Schwarzenegger started his blockbuster career with 1982's Conan the Barbarian. The film was a sword-and-sorcery epic based on the short stories by Robert E. Howard, and quickly became a cult classic. Schwarzenegger starred in a sequel and was being considered for a third film before he was elected governor of California, effectively putting his acting career on hold. Now that Schwarzenegger's political term has come to a close, that is no longer the case. Schwarzenegger recently confirmed that he has signed on for The Legend of Conan, a direct sequel to the 1982 film that will debut in 2014.

"I always loved the Conan character and I'm honored to be asked to step into the role once again," Schwarzenegger said. "I can't wait to work with Universal and the great team of Fredrik Malmberg and Chris Morgan to develop the next step of this truly epic story."

The new film, which will ignore the events of the 1984 sequel and 2011 reboot, depicts an aging Conan decades after taking control of his kingdom. "The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make," producer Fredrik Malmberg explains. "It's that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle."

The Legend of Conan has been plotted by Chris Morgan from Wanted, 47 Ronin, and Fast and the Furious 6. Above all, Morgan considers this film to be a dream project and return-to-form for the Conan franchise. "After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me," Morgan said. "Robert E. Howard's mythology and some great philosophy from Nietzsche to Atilla the Hun was layered in the original film ... I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn't touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan's Unforgiven."

Shortly before being elected governor, Schwarzenegger considered starring in King Conan: Crown of Iron, a script which also featured an aging Conan struggling to defend his kingdom. The concept is clearly an intriguing one for Schwarzenegger and the studio, and could make for an excellent sequel. Conan fans have reason to be excited, although since the film is still in the pre-production phase only Crom knows how it will turn out in the end.

Source: Deadline, via <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/25/arnold-schwarzenegger-will-return-as-conan-in-new-reboot>IGN

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
sadface.jpg

Why couldn't we try to use that reboot that happened just last year? At least try to make it work? Y'know, that thing that money was put into and stuff? And it was kinda fun?

Fine. Let's have a 70-year-old play a shirtless action hero.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
Loved Conan (not that one with thingy from stargate

With any luck it will be a musical http://youtu.be/OBGOQ7SsJrw

Stillgard

P.O.D.
Jun 6, 2011
Well, for one. the Reboot idea was lame standard Hollywood bullsh*t that couldn't come up with an original idea if it bit em in the arse. Second the Boyscout that portrayed Conan... Arnold would have wiped the floor with him. Third. It's about Time >.>

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
an old and aging conan

not such a bad Idea.....you know? [b/]themes n' shit[/b]

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
While I have always enjoyed the Conan films for their campy aesthetic, I am concerned that this will do to that franchise what his return to The Terminator franchise did to those films....

Leave 1980's film series in the 1980's. Please. I will probably go see it but I am not looking at this and drooling.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
2 years and counting until we get to hear Bob auto pilot into Boston accent with the work swartzenager, or he might try to go the entire review calling him Arnold to try, and avoid it. can't wait.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Eh...why not?

Can't be worse then the Expendables or Conan reboot...can it?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Remains to be seen if it will be good or not but unlike the usual backlash you get from remakes and unnecessary sequels this actually kind of works. The original Conan the Barbarian movie ended with a bit of foreshadowing showing Conan sitting on a throne, and the opening narrator proclaimed him destined to wear a crown, or to quote something like "destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aqualonious upon a troubled brow". This is one 80's action flick where where you can actually star Arnie and have him play his actual age, playing the role of an aging king.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I liked the 2011 Conan movie. It was reminiscent of the 80's action movies, the ones you know weren't serious but presented themselves as if they were.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
What? no sequel to Kindergarden Cop?

HA! just kidding!

I'll be adding this to my list of films to look forward to, alongside Avengers 2, The Hobbit, and that live-action Justice League movie I heard is gonna be made.

Opellulo

Dec 9, 2011
Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if that was a good movie or bad. Why we saw it, or why we liked it. All that matters is that movie stood against many sequels. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me it won?t suck! And if you do not listen, then the HELL with you!

Apr 5, 2008
1. Arnie kept his word when he said he'd be back!
2. Fast and Furious 6??? WTF?
3. I liked both sequel and, much as I hate to admit it, last year's reboot.
4. Arnie!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
If they could make it more in line with Discworld's Cohen the Barbarian that'd be just shiny.

(For those not in the know, Cohen is a deliberate parody of Conan. It covers what his life would be like if he was never killed in battle and just kept winning all his epic adventures...)

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Omega500 said:
Loved Conan (not that one with thingy from stargate

With any luck it will be a musical http://youtu.be/OBGOQ7SsJrw
Damn you... I finally got this song unstuck from my head.

OT: While I do love the original Conan movie (and the recent reboot was functional, but not great), I predict disaster for this movie. The problem is that the original team behind Conan the Barbarian (including Oliver Stone) had a very distinct and intriguing way of portraying this character. All subsequent attempts to capture the same magic on screen have largely failed because it's entirely too easy to go into the realm of terrible campiness.